Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ah, watching my roommate kill himself with diet... page 2

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    The thing that really bugs me is when you do lead by example and still get nowhere. People notice my transformation and are amazed and ask what I did. Then I tell them and get rolling eyes and responses like "that may have worked for you but it wouldn't for me" or "I could never give up ______" or "Eating that much meat/fat/etc is bad for your heart".

And I can't always just say "screw it" and forget the person. I don't want family/friends I care a great deal about to keep eating themselves to an early grave.
    -Chuck

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I ate like your roommate for years, and no one, no matter how well-meaning, could convince me there was anything wrong with that. Consider yourself lucky to be further along the path toward health than him. Many people don't have that wake-up call "I need to get healthy!" moment until they're already sick. It's hard to watch people who are close to us do things we know are dangerous, but our advice and insistence is not going to be what makes them change.

You've gotten some good advice on this thread; keep leading by example, let your house fill with the scents of delicious grass-fed beef and sizzling veggies and see how long he holds out then! People who make unhealthy decisions KNOW they're making bad decisions. They just think getting healthy is too difficult and inconvenient. Just keep living your primal life as proof that not only is being healthy easy, it's worth it!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My BF will often have corn chips for dinner. He thinks steak is bad for your heart. He's got a cardiologist and I don't.

I wouldn't worry too much about your roommate. I know you fixate on him because you've posted about him a number of times. Be grateful for him. He is serving as an example of what your life could be like if you decide to quit the Primal Blueprint.
    Fixate on him? Yeah, well, he's had several health-related expenses recently, and that has impacted his financial situation quite a bit.

He helps me pay the rent so, uh... From at LEAST that perspective, I don't want anything bad to happen to him!

I mean, that and I am just way to kind of a human being for my own good.

Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    "that may have worked for you but it wouldn't for me"
    Yep, and have they even TRIED it before making that statement?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Fixate on him? Yeah, well, he's had several health-related expenses recently, and that has impacted his financial situation quite a bit.

He helps me pay the rent so, uh... From at LEAST that perspective, I don't want anything bad to happen to him!

I mean, that and I am just way to kind of a human being for my own good.
    You can always find a new roommate. And you can move, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The point, as always, is: don't be an insufferable douchebag just because you started eating brussels sprouts and bacon 6 months ago.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The point, as always, is: don't be an insufferable douchebag just because you started eating brussels sprouts and bacon 6 months ago.
    Heh, I never mention his diet to him specifically. I only defend myself when he warns me about heart attacks from all the fat (which he does regularly).

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can always find a new roommate. And you can move, too.
    Moving isn't really an option for me right now, given my financial situation. And I still have six months more of a lease with him before I can consider a new roommate. I've been investigating possibilities, though I hope he gets his shit together so that I might not have to.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    The thing that really bugs me is when you do lead by example and still get nowhere. People notice my transformation and are amazed and ask what I did. Then I tell them and get rolling eyes and responses like "that may have worked for you but it wouldn't for me" or "I could never give up ______" or "Eating that much meat/fat/etc is bad for your heart".

I kid you not, I went to one of a close family's member for the weekend. God, I love her. She is like a mom to me. Anyway after five kids within a two year span of it, she now has a massive gut and obese. She complimented me on how trim and lean I have become and I shared with her that my secret was a low carb paleo woe. She told me that she read a book about nutrition and it has been confirmed that she can ONLY eat grains and other high carbs and have to eliminate meat and ANY form of pure protein OR ELSE she will put on weight. I kid you not. She was convinced that meat, fish etc was evil and that the only way for her to lose was to eat a pure high grain diet. I asked her why she hadn't seen any progress with her weight and she did not even bother to reply. lol...i did not have energy to continue the conversation either. smh

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    I kid you not, I went to one of a close family's member for the weekend. God, I love her. She is like a mom to me. Anyway after five kids within a two year span of it, she now has a massive gut and obese. She complimented me on how trim and lean I have become and I shared with her that my secret was a low carb paleo woe. She told me that she read a book about nutrition and it has been confirmed that she can ONLY eat grains and other high carbs and have to eliminate meat and ANY form of pure protein OR ELSE she will put on weight. I kid you not. She was convinced that meat, fish etc was evil and that the only way for her to lose was to eat a pure high grain diet. I asked her why she hadn't seen any progress with her weight and she did not even bother to reply. lol...i did not have energy to continue the conversation either. smh
    I totally empathize. I have another friend (not my roommate) who has asked me the same thing and then totally bashed me, belittled me, and beat me into the ground when I told him about it. Apparently low-carb diets are a "dangerous mania perpetuated on society that is slowly killing us."

He now "knows" that I am, not, as he incorrectly assumed, healthy, but am infact, "slowly wasting away to nothingness and should be ashamed at my nutritional ignorance."

Yeah, try to teach your 250 lb gut about nutritional ignorance man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast