Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help..I am gaining weight!! Hypo, Menopausal and chronic constipation! page 2

Baba is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    What kind of thyroid meds are your on? If you take Levothyroxin (T4 only), you might try natural thyroid, which also contains T3. For me, things went uphill once I made that change.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am also hypothyroid, and I'm post-menopausal with a history of chronic constipation. I don't know what to tell you about the constipation because I still struggle with it. High fat helps the most, but I don't do well eating high fat on a regular basis.

However, unless I count both calories and carbs and stay within my own limits (which I know from trial and error), I will gain, and gain quickly. I count daily.

It's a combination of age and the hypothyroid that's the problem. In addition, my endo suggests that I have always had a 'genetically slow metabolism.'

You have to work with the hand you're dealt in life, and mine means careful monitoring of my eating. I know this isn't true for most people, but I share this since it's obvious that your weight began to rise once you stopped counting. That is exactly what happens to me if I don't count.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You keep asking what should you shoot for with fat. What you should shoot for is protein. Determine your protein requirement, which should be between .6g and 1g per pound of lean body mass (that's your weight less all your fat, probably around 100-105lbs, this is not your goal weight). Try to stay in that range of protein each day.

If you want to lose weight, your body will be trained on a low carb diet to burn fat for energy. But if you don't reduce the fat, it won't have to use it's own stores. So fat is where you will need to reduce your calories. If you prefer not to reduce carbs, then you'll just have to reduce calories overall from both fat and carbs. You can also train your body to burn fat for energy with slow exercise like walking.

Sadly, there is always some hunger when you are losing weight. But I found that with a low carb diet the hunger was vastly reduced. Not everybody experiences this though.

If your hormones really are all messed up, you may have to endure a lengthy period of time just letting your body heal. Being able to eat satisfying, nourishing food and not gain weight will be a blessing during this time and will likely be your experience so long as you don't overeat. But don't undereat, either. You can't afford the stress of that. Your two menu plans appear to be a little light on food. If I were you, I'd skip all the added fatty things (whipped cream, coconut milk, nuts) and just eat real food to satisfaction, cooking in enough fat to get the job done or make a dish tasty, in sensible portions.

I started this diet with beginning stages of metabolic syndrome, not menopause or hypothyroidism (although I've always tested a little on the low side). During the entire time on this diet I have not ever actually gained any weight even when I have way overdone it, which I think is a miracle. It's also a miracle how amazingly healthy I feel after a year of this.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    JamesS will probably disagree with me about this being the bes toptions, but high doses of Vitamin C is what gutsense recommends for constipation. It works pretty well for me. First you dose a lot until saturation (achieve loose stools), then back off on the dose (my doc said to take it every 4 hrs while awake) until the consistency is normal. It could end up as high as 10g, depending on how much your body needs.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Has it only been a week?

If it has, i would give it at least a month, since daily weight fluctuations are normal. Try to relax and enjoy the ride! Also take measurements and focus more on inches than the scale!

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    Todays meal
    1/4 cup coconut milk..
    Chicken and brocolli..1 1/2 cups combine

1/4cup homemade pesto (basil,olive oil, cream cheese, walnuts)
    salad mix with vegies and advocado
    Beef...5oz

Few walnuts,3
    Whip cream...1/4cup with stevia
    4 strawberries
    This looks good. I would ditch the cream cheese (the most constipating food in the world!) and the stevia if you can. Berries and cream are tasty without adding sweeteners.

Do you take Fish Oil? If not, I'd recommend that and vitamin D, not to address any of your specific ailments, but to better your general health.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Wait. You're saying in a week your weight fluctuated a little over a pound? My weight fluctuates that much in a day depending on how much sodium/water I consumed or sweated out. I agree, don't look at decimals. Don't even weigh yourself more than once a week. You can "gain" a pound just by eating a meal and a glass of water.

I've learned nuts and cheese can plug me up, especially if eaten alone as a snack. I have to limit those and make sure I eat them with something, like a big salad.

DrDane is offline Junior Member
    I think there is a good chance that your doc (following the predominant medical paradigm) and has missed the diagnosis. I have just scanned thru these posts, and didn't notice anyone suggesting you explore Adrenal Fatigue as a possible underlying cause of your symptoms. Oftentimes an apparent thyroid issue is really coming from a chronic (and often sub-clinical) adrenal problem.

You can look into this here: Comprehensive Adrenal Fatigue Article - DrLamŽ - Body. Mind. NutritionŽ by watching Dr Lam's video and taking a pretty good quiz. Then, if you want to go further, there is a ton of info available. Much more than diet is usually need to turn that around, depending on what stage a person is in.

I wish you luck with your healing journey!

sammiedomenic is offline Junior Member
    The rapid weight gain after giving birth is more than just a transition to motherhood. There was a reason why rumors that if you have not shed off the excess weight you have gained a year after giving birth means you are not going to shed it off at all are spreading around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12