Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver... page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Liver...

Shop Now
    I've not even considered eating liver since I won the liver-eating battle at age 8. I am now 52...and just purchased an organic beef liver that is now in my freezer. I've seen all kinds of recipes for it - but what is the best way to cook it that will (hopefully) be palatable? They also had organic beef heart available, but I figured it might be easier to try liver for my first "organ" experiment.

So, suggestions for the liver-phobic? I KNOW it is good for me, but I still remember that horrible liver/onion dish as a child with a texture that I couldn't seem to stop chewing... I am willing to give this a shot!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    If you only only eat a pretty small portion like 100g or so, nust cut it up in small pieces and mix it with a ground beef/vegetable stir fry. It will probably ruin the meal, but you won't gag your way through it.
    Billie trips balls

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have to admit i havent had beef liver since prob the same age, same battle lol i started on chicken livers and moved on to lamb's livers. i did liver pate first as it was ground up so it was less like a liver. i also have found the strong liver flavour is very much muted and toned down once cooked liver gets cold too. hearts i have so far only minced and mixed with regular mince in stuff and i also have made liver and heart pate which is very yummy.

simple liver pate recipe. fry the liver in butter, ghee or coconut oil until it is still pink in the middle. i usually put garlic and some herbs, such as thyme in. dont overcook it so slice it up when it is cooking. cool. whack in the blender with some cream and blend to smooth consistency. you can add some wine or some brandy i have seen too. add salt and pepper to taste and you are done.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    If you only only eat a pretty small portion like 100g or so, nust cut it up in small pieces and mix it with a ground beef/vegetable stir fry. It will probably ruin the meal, but you won't gag your way through it.
    This. Also, you can take your frizen block of liver and grate a little bit off of it, chuck the grated shavings in your stir fry, then put the rest of the block back in the freezer. You might not even notice that it's in there, since it's outmassed by the mince.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

The same grass-fed farm store had organic beef shanks - ONE is almost 3 pounds! I've only seen them at Whole Foods - or at least I've not looked for them since going Primal - but the shanks at WF were much smaller. I just bought one of them until I can figure out what to do with it, probably something in the crockpot. They also sell beef neck bones (currently out of them), but I figure that would make some nice bone broth. The farm store is right at the farm/dairy which is really nice, and only about 6 miles from me.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    one thing you will notice once you get into eating organ meats is how precious they really are. you get one liver and one heart and two kidneys per animal vs how much shanks etc. it puts into perspective why people used to and dogs eat the organs first.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Shanks in a slow cooker are delicious. As for liver, I find not over cooking it is key. I like to fry it in butter, and eat with carmelized onions.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

peril is offline Senior Member
    People have been cooking organs for as long as they've been cooking muscle meat. Suggest you look at time tested ethnic recipes.

Liver should be served rare - it is tenderer and tastes a lot better that way
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    People have been cooking organs for as long as they've been cooking muscle meat. Suggest you look at time tested ethnic recipes.

Liver should be served rare - it is tenderer and tastes a lot better that way
    Thanks, good idea!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried it, but I will soak it in lemon juice to see if it makes my folks more ready liver eaters. I make curried liver lately. I just lightly braise liver, and put it aside. Then I make vegetable curry, and add liver back in. It tastes great!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast