Thread: Back arch squatting page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Back arch squatting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In the mirror I've done some shirtless weightless squats to really check my form. I notice that wen I hit parallel or below the natural arch in my back disappears. My back is not rounding in anyway, but it's not arched anymore like it is when I'm standing straight up. Is this normal?
    Billie trips balls

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Don't use a mirror take a video...watching yourself will change your body position.
    Having said that it could be a flexibility issue.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Don't use a mirror take a video...watching yourself will change your body position.
    Having said that it could be a flexibility issue.
    I have a video recorded but it's not very clear, I will make a better one though. I don't know exactly to post a video so I'll try it multiple ways.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share
    Last edited by Gadsie; 09-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    Billie trips balls

Ok, here is a better video. I'm talking about the point where I go below parallel. My back doesn't round, but there's no arch.
    http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

Please tell if you can't view it, I'll upload it to youtube
    Billie trips balls

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    From what I've heard, I think "butt wink" is a natural occurrence in bodyweight squats below parallel. If you have weight on your back, you are more likely to maintain the arch supposedly. Here's what Mark Rippetoe said:

"The term "butt-wink" is CrossFit bullshit, and comes from the impression that it is possible to squat with an apparently motionless lower back. With the weights CrossFitters typically squat, it might be. But a heavy squat will cause some movement in the lumbar spine, and the appearance of the glutes changes as the hips stretch into eccentric flexion. As long as it is not a gross flexion, it is no problem, as anyone with a powerlifting background can attest."

Squat form check & buttwink

nojoke is offline Member
    The squat looks fine, hips will move 1st always. Eyes forward, chest up, keep everything tight and you'll be ok. There are also a couple of different back squats you can take into account as well when you start racking on the weights which effect posture and the lifts.

Alot of the common faults in squatting come from the hip flexor mobility/tightness and trying to compensate with it with the torso in a different position/more forward.

Episode 309: Getting Organized Before Squatting: The Two-Squat Squat | Mobility WOD

I do crossfit alot, and powerlift also. The above poster referenced crossfit and the lack of liking it which is his opinion haha.

I suggest MobilityWOD for your mobility questions and tutorials, it will do amazing things for your lifts.

Davec64 is offline Junior Member
    When you get near bottom, concentrate on driving your knees out instead of putting your butt down. Drive your knees out hard while maintaining a big chest, then when your hamstrings won't allow you to go any farther it's time to come back up, not tuck your butt down.