Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ronald Krauss on Red Meat & Dairy Sat'd Fat page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    However, to quote myself:

The interesting question might be what is likely not to be in that diet -- or not present at a high enough level?
    So they get plenty of beef three times a day, and that's coming courtesy of the meat industry, because they don't foresee a problem with that. Tough luck, guys.

But what if the intake of omega 3s, specifically DHA, is grossly inadequate on such a diet?

Recent anthropological thinking is that hominids came to be human in shoreline environments. Fish and shellfish was plentiful and easy to catch, and you could also have picked up turtles, eggs, marsh plants and so forth. You could have picked up some land animals, too, but much of your food could have come from the water, and that would have been high in DHA (and some other important nutrients).

See Michael Crawford; see Stephen Cunnane; see Leigh Broadhurst; and others ...

Survival of the Fattest: The Key to Human Brain Evolution: Stephen C. Cunnane: 9789812561916: Amazon.com: Books

Dr Leigh Broadhurst -- Seafood -- We Really Did Evolve to Eat It: Part 1 - YouTube

The paleo movement in general has been slow to catch on to this, but Professor Cordain has actually contributed to a paper that takes shoreline environments into account. Here it is:

Estimated macronutrient and fatty acid intakes fro... [Br J Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

People have continued to exploit water-resources, and reap the benefits of that, throughout history. And people in inland areas have suffered from the lack of seafood in the diet. Low levels of iodine among inland populations is, according to the World Health Organization, still the commonest cause of brain damage worldwide. Goitre was common in inland areas of Western Europe and the U.S. until governments began to mandate the iodination of salt (in the 1920s, IIRC). That ought to tell us something.

You might do OK -- perhaps not optimally, but pretty much OK -- on mainly land-based resources, providing the ruminant animals you were living off were grazing on rich grassland and you ate their brains.

Does anyone suppose the people in the study were doing that? Eating brains, I mean. Is there any indication that the meat industry sponsors had been kind enough to supply grass-fed meat free? Has anyone stopped to ask whether the levels of omega 3s in the control diet were higher than that in the high-beef diet?

But maybe that's relevant.

France is the only country where recommendations specifically for DHA are provided by health bodies at 120 mg for men and 100 mg for women per day. A recent survey of 4884 French men and women found that on average this target was far exceeded by estimated intakes of 273 mg/day for men and 226 mg/day for women [37]. In addition, the total long chain omega 3 fatty acids (EPA + DHA) intakes in France are in line with the recommended nutraceutical doses for the prevention of heart disease, at an estimated 497 mg/day for men and 400 mg/day in women. The French estimates for preformed DHA (250 mg/day), predominately from seafood, are much higher than estimates from other Western countries, such as 70 mg/day in the US, 90 mg/day in Australia, and 170 mg/day in Germany. These observations may in part contribute towards the “French Paradox”, the lower incidence of heart disease despite the diet rich in saturated fatty acids.
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): An Ancient Nutrient for the Modern Human Brain - Europe PMC Article - Europe PubMed Central

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Jack Kruse also is onto seafood in his epi-paleo diet.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The takeaway may simply be to not eat beef three meals a day
    I have my main meal at night, 5/6 PM and a light meal around 1PM. I often eat only the main meal without the light meal. I rotate beef, chicken and fish at the main meal and maybe we have an egg based meal instead of meat . So, even though I love beef, I don't eat it every day.
    Last edited by Moochy; 11-21-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

BigJayBednar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The takeaway may simply be to not eat beef three meals a day
    While this may be true, I believe it is more accurate to say that you shouldn't eat beef combined with dairy 3 times a day. And an even more important take away from this article is that overall carbohydrate intake should be low, because in every study, that was the primary stimulus for decrease in CVD risk factors.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Oh and this could also be the quality of the diet playing a hand as well. There's a huge difference between Balderson's 5 year old cheddar and the grocery store stuff.
    Balderson's 5 year old cheddar is the BEST! I need to get more from CostCo...

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I have my main meal at night, 5/6 PM and a light meal around 1PM. I often eat only the main meal without the light meal. I rotate beef, chicken and fish at the main meal and maybe we have an egg based meal instead of meat . So, even though I love beef, I don't eat it every day.
    If I eat too much beef I start to feel a little off, IDK how to describe it but heavy maybe? I start craving chicken and fish. And if I don't eat any beef for a while, i start craving beef. So I kind of go with a mix anyway.

I definately think fish is important but am bad about getting it. When you're land locked, your options are limited (unless you want catfish!) and your prices are high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12