Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no- I've got a cold! Need advice! page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Oh no- I've got a cold! Need advice!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

I rarely get sick since revamping my diet, but even the best nutrition can't fight all the germs I'm exposed to as a college student who works in a buffet. Whew.

I could feel my body fighting against getting sick since about Wednesday. Friday I thought it'd be okay to have 2 glasses of wine, and Saturday I caved to a craving and had oatmeal for breakfast. (My body probably wanted something to soak up the alcohol?) Lo and behold, yesterday afternoon, the germs got me. I blame the carbs.

Anyway, here I am, up since 5 AM 'cause the runny nose/stuffy head feeling wouldn't let me sleep. I've been drinking lots of hot water with lemon, and last night I binged on almonds... I've been lazy lately and have been going for the nuts/raw veggies rather than cooking. Maybe that's why my immune system couldn't win this fight. I just had some broccoli cooked up in Kerrygold butter... but it didn't really do the trick.

Point is, I'm sick as a dog. My fridge is looking pretty bare, so I was thinking I'd go buy a few things. Definitely some oranges. What else should I do?

Is there some easy way I can make soup--what ingredients should I get? I recently got a crock pot, but I don't know how to use it yet. I guess I've gotta learn sometime.

Or any other suggestions? There's things I can't easily come by around here (I have to drive an hour to get grass-fed beef, for example), but I'm open to all suggestions! How does Grok beat the sniffles?!

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    It's not actually cold and flu season yet (that's usually when vitamin d levels are at their lowest). I'd say you have allergies (it is definitely allergy season).
    Ponaris Nasal Emollient This is working well for my son who usually had bad allergies. They are getting better every year and mine are now no existant. Good idea to get your Vitamin D levels checked too.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Hey guys,

I rarely get sick since revamping my diet, but even the best nutrition can't fight all the germs I'm exposed to as a college student who works in a buffet. Whew.

I could feel my body fighting against getting sick since about Wednesday. Friday I thought it'd be okay to have 2 glasses of wine, and Saturday I caved to a craving and had oatmeal for breakfast. (My body probably wanted something to soak up the alcohol?) Lo and behold, yesterday afternoon, the germs got me. I blame the carbs.

Anyway, here I am, up since 5 AM 'cause the runny nose/stuffy head feeling wouldn't let me sleep. I've been drinking lots of hot water with lemon, and last night I binged on almonds... I've been lazy lately and have been going for the nuts/raw veggies rather than cooking. Maybe that's why my immune system couldn't win this fight. I just had some broccoli cooked up in Kerrygold butter... but it didn't really do the trick.

Point is, I'm sick as a dog. My fridge is looking pretty bare, so I was thinking I'd go buy a few things. Definitely some oranges. What else should I do?

Is there some easy way I can make soup--what ingredients should I get? I recently got a crock pot, but I don't know how to use it yet. I guess I've gotta learn sometime.

Or any other suggestions? There's things I can't easily come by around here (I have to drive an hour to get grass-fed beef, for example), but I'm open to all suggestions! How does Grok beat the sniffles?!
    Wild oil of oregano!!!! Seriously. North American Herb & Spice brand in a blue bottle. I take it during the winter. I've heard you aren't supposed to take it long term, so I've started taking it (1-2 gel caps/day) only when others around me are getting sick, if I feel something coming on, or if I travel (air travel). I also take 5000 IU D3 all fall-spring. Zinc, too.

I disagree with it not being cold/flu season yet. My husband certainly had the flu last week; the classic flu (not the barfy one people mistake for it). The flu bug is always present.

Feel better!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

"When to get vaccinated against seasonal flu
    Yearly flu vaccination should begin in September, or as soon as vaccine is available, and continue throughout the flu season which can last as late as May. This is because the timing and duration of flu seasons vary. While flu season can begin early as October, most of the time seasonal flu activity peaks in January, February or later."CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Influenza (Flu) & Flu Vaccine

Symptoms

Symptoms that occur shortly after you come into contact with the substance you are allergic to may include:

Itchy nose, mouth, eyes, throat, skin, or any area

Problems with smell

Runny nose

Sneezing

Tearing eyes

Symptoms that may develop later include:

Stuffy nose (nasal congestion)

Coughing

Clogged ears and decreased sense of smell

Sore throat

Dark circles under the eyes

Puffiness under the eyes

Fatigue and irritability

Headache

People with allergic rhinitis often have allergy symptoms that also involve the eyes.
    Allergic rhinitis - PubMed Health

When I was a kid I would get what my mother called "a summer cold", one to two weeks of absolute misery. Well, it was allergies, easily treated no reason to suffer like that (never mind all of that postnasal dripping/not dripping can lead to ear infections, pneumonia etc).

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Poor thing: Autumn colds are the worst and there's a lot going around right now. Try sautee'ing up some garlic in a little olive oil, adding some cubed chicken bouillon and water...bring to a boil and sip on that. If you are feeling ambitious, I'd throw in some pieces of chicken, cook for a few hours and voila, easy home made chicken soup. Stay hydrated, get rest and wait it out with some good reading material. Hopefully you have a few close friends who can pick up your groceries for you.

Get better soon. /l
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I say that you are severely deficient in Vitamin D3. Most folks need at least 5,000 to 10,000 IU Daily to get their 25(OH)d blood level up to the optimum 70 to 80 ng/ml level.

When I feel a cold coming on, I boost my D3 from 10,000 IU to 20,000 IU for 1 week, and the cold is over with minimal effect.

Get your at-home blood test here, only $65
    Vitamin D Council > About vitamin D > Vitamin D deficiency > Am I vitamin D deficient?

(NaturalNews) There is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency sweeping across our modern world, and it's an epidemic of such depth and seriousness that it makes the H1N1 swine flu epidemic look like a case of the sniffles by comparison. Vitamin D deficiency is not only alarmingly widespread, it's also a root cause of many other serious diseases such as cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease.

A new study published in the March, 2010 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that a jaw-dropping 59 percent of the population is vitamin D deficient. In addition, nearly 25 percent of the study subjects were found to have extremely low levels of vitamin D.

Lead author of the study, Dr. Richard Kremer at the McGill University Health Center, said "Abnormal levels of vitamin D are associated with a whole spectrum of diseases, including cancer, osteoporosis, and diabetes, as well as cardiovascular and autoimmune disorders."

This new study also documents a clear link between vitamin D deficiency and stored body fat. This supports a theory I've espoused here on NaturalNews for many years: That sunshine actually promote body fat loss. Vitamin D may be the hormonal mechanism by which this fat loss phenomenon operates.

The research findings on vitamin D, by the way, get even better...

Activator for the immune system
    Recent research carried out at the University of Copenhagen has revealed that vitamin D activates the immune system by "arming" T cells to fight off infections.
    Rest of the report here:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
    Complete D3 Research Report:
    http://tinyurl.com/Vitamin-D-Report

Before I started on 10,000 IU of D3 Geltabs, I used to get the most horrible chest colds every fall & spring that lasted for MONTHS. So bad that I sometimes even lost my voice. Now on Vitamin D3, those days are GONE. I haven't had a cold since. I also don't get flu shots because D3 makes them unnecessary.

PS) Iodine with required supplements will also help boost your immune system:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-30-2012 at 08:38 AM.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    First you should start fasting, and take oregano oil and garlic oil. A little cayenne or peppermint can help open up the airways. I've also heard Mercola say to drop a small amount of hydrogen peroxide into your ears and to lye down on your side and let it drain out. But hey I'm not a doctor, this is just advice
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I take 2,000 IU of Vit. D a day. I was worried that was too much. You guys are saying it might not be enough?

I'll definitely check out the oregano oil. Herbal medicine is severely underrated IMO.

As for flu vs. allergies, when you've got it, you don't care which one it is, you just want to get better! If I was the only one sick around me, I would suspect allergies, but for the past week I've had sick people in my classes and sick customers/co-workers at work. I'm taking today off and had tomorrow scheduled off already, so hopefully a little rest will be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I take 2,000 IU of Vit. D a day. I was worried that was too much. You guys are saying it might not be enough?

I'll definitely check out the oregano oil. Herbal medicine is severely underrated IMO.

As for flu vs. allergies, when you've got it, you don't care which one it is, you just want to get better! If I was the only one sick around me, I would suspect allergies, but for the past week I've had sick people in my classes and sick customers/co-workers at work. I'm taking today off and had tomorrow scheduled off already, so hopefully a little rest will be exactly what the doctor ordered.
    I agree with just wanting it gone but the more than one person having it - it's called ragweed season because many people are allergic which is why I suggest you use something for allergies, you'll know in a day if it's working or you can lay around in bed. I also like the herbal route that is why I recommended the Ponaris but you would have to mail order it I think and that would take a few days. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast