Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh no- I've got a cold! Need advice! page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Most of your immune system is actually the healthy bacteria in your gut. Support that, and you're supporting your immune system:

- Low sugar
    - High vegetable (pre-biotic)
    - Maybe even some sauerkraut! (also high in Vitamin C)

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    for runny nose, sinus and throat issues, use a neti pot. the flushing will help remove the congestion and remove the bugs from the membranes in your respiratory tract.

if you're making soup, add some ginger and garlic.

unless you get your d tested, you have no idea how deficient you are. unless you work outdoors, you are. for 3 months before i got tested in june, i had been taking 5000 ius per day. my number was so low, i've been taking 10,000 ius since then.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    If I had it my way, I'd be getting tests of my levels of every vitamin known to man. I'm on my parents' health insurance, though, and not sure if tests for things like D deficiency are covered... I'm not sure my parents would chip in for it as they are CW lovers and would probably say I'm feeling sick bc I'm not eating enough grains and if I really want to be healthy I should ditch red meat and do an hour of cardio every day...

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    If I had it my way, I'd be getting tests of my levels of every vitamin known to man. I'm on my parents' health insurance, though, and not sure if tests for things like D deficiency are covered... I'm not sure my parents would chip in for it as they are CW lovers and would probably say I'm feeling sick bc I'm not eating enough grains and if I really want to be healthy I should ditch red meat and do an hour of cardio every day...
    Just take the extra D anyway. Are you starting to feel any better just merely with time?

Depends on the insurance, but if/when you go see a doctor for an exam, ask them about running a complete CBC/metabolic panel along with a vitamin D test. That isn't 'crazy' to ask for, so they might just do it. Mine was covered. My son's was covered and he is on government insurance because he is uninsurable (Autism). I believe it is a 25-hydroxy test or 25(OH)D. If anything, the CBC/Metabolic panel (maybe a cholesterol panel?) gives you a baseline to work from to compare pre/post Primal.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Generally, those kinds of bloodwork are covered. I have BCBS and at most, I get charged $25 for lab work to find out my D levels and basic minerals. They usually do that kind of stuff for an annual anyway.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Make up a pot of bone broth. Chicken bones, or beef marrow bones. Simmer with some veggies (carrot, onion, celery) for 12-14 hours, strain, drink. You can freeze this and then have it available for when you feel the sniffles coming on. When heating up an individual portion, then throw a clove of smashed garlic in the bottom and drink it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12