Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Controlling Cortisol Levels page 3

  1. #21
    doublehelix's Avatar
    doublehelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    don't worry about running. just go for long, leisurely walks. it will help clear your head, get you some vitamin d and get you moving. running distance can be profound stress on joints.
    I was having a problem with my hip joints. My body is saying it doesn't want to carry this around. Inflammation in the joints. Oh yeah, more inflammation. I have been taking glucosamine again and it is helping. I can't run. Not yet. When I was slimmer, I could.

    It's hard for me to walk. I feel so unsexy. I look far different than I did decades ago. It isn't aging, it's stress. My mom is older, and she doesn't look like this. Her stress levels are far lower.

  2. #22
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    The job I had before this one was in title and escrow, so the financial side of real estate during the boom and ensuing bust. Yeah, no stress there.

    I got laid off 5 years ago and the only job with about the same pay was working a very physically demanding job for the most hated company in the state. Another win.

    But it made me realize that I handle a physically demanding job much better than an emotionally or psychologically demanding job. I'll never go back to the finance/real estate industry again. It's no exaggeration to say that I would rather be unemployed for years. I'm now looking into a career working with animals because that's where I'm at my happiest. That means volunteering at animal shelters after my job and saving as much of my current paycheck while I can. I'm working to make myself known in the industry so that I'm on someone's mind when an opening happens. I'm trying to establish a reputation before I need to use it.

    The pay will probably never be more than half what I make now, but that's literally the price you pay to be at peace with yourself. I just work on being more self-reliant and more fiscally responsible, and have found a boyfriend that has the same attitude.

    You can leave a stressful work environment. You just have to plan it and then follow through.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  3. #23
    doublehelix's Avatar
    doublehelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The job I had before this one was in title and escrow, so the financial side of real estate during the boom and ensuing bust. Yeah, no stress there.

    I got laid off 5 years ago and the only job with about the same pay was working a very physically demanding job for the most hated company in the state. Another win.

    But it made me realize that I handle a physically demanding job much better than an emotionally or psychologically demanding job. I'll never go back to the finance/real estate industry again. It's no exaggeration to say that I would rather be unemployed for years. I'm now looking into a career working with animals because that's where I'm at my happiest. That means volunteering at animal shelters after my job and saving as much of my current paycheck while I can. I'm working to make myself known in the industry so that I'm on someone's mind when an opening happens. I'm trying to establish a reputation before I need to use it.

    The pay will probably never be more than half what I make now, but that's literally the price you pay to be at peace with yourself. I just work on being more self-reliant and more fiscally responsible, and have found a boyfriend that has the same attitude.

    You can leave a stressful work environment. You just have to plan it and then follow through.

    You are a strong person. It really shows. Your genetic stock is very smart. It was early man's intelligence that allowed him to survive. I know it hasn't been easy at all. I feel the same. Some people have easier lives, but at the end of the day, we have more experience to draw on.

    It is becoming more clear to me, that one has to shake off the societal ideas of what is good for us. And you're right, in this economy, it's very hard to even survive. I am originally from the Midwest, and things have declined there for several decades. Yet, we have to survive.

    I love animals too, and am glad someone like yourself is helping them. You have an awesome life and I know it hasn't been easy. I feel the same. I didn't get married, have kids, and live happily ever after. I don't have anyone to lean on. For a lot of women, a job is just making vacation or new furniture money. They don't have to worry about being on the streets.

    I am trying to come up with options for myself. I can't go back to school. I still have a loan. I think 3 degrees would make me virtually unemployable. But I apply to a lot of jobs not in "my field". I only need one of them to give me a chance!

  4. #24
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Perhaps consider working outside of your field -- in one that might have some cross overs with what you already know how to do.

    And yes, a lot of people have a lot of stress these days. It's not just the economy or social expectations. It's how we react to these things as well -- or anything.

    I'm a mom of a 4 yr old who owns her own business which supports her family (sole breadwinner). Our immigration is predicated on our success as well. I have a husband who works in the business and is pretty much the primary caregiver of our son (who is also in kindy and in care one half-day a week). We made this risky big move because we saw the writing on the wall in the US: there was no way for me to start my business; my husband's company was systamatically letting people go and are now down to a skeleton crew; and it would be unlikely for us to maintain ourselves (get more work quickly, etc). So we sold up and moved to NZ and started a business.

    Without this, we have nothing. See?

    A lot of people are under stress. We just have to learn to manage it.

    Also, I'm a lot happier living here and doing work that I love. I love running this business. So even though we earn about half what we did in the US and the cost of living is higher here, the quality of life is MUCH better. And I feel in control of my own destiny, which is awesome.

  5. #25
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Zoebird, I think you touched upon something very important there. Stress is much easier to handle when you can see the reason for it. If you're struggling to make a place in this world, it's easier for us to understand. If your boss keeps moving up deadlines and demanding increased output with no reward, then yeah, it's pretty difficult to deal with.

    I know a lot of people that have a mountain of stress, but they know they're going through it to improve their lives in the long run, and they're able to handle it much better.

    Doublehelix, I was a single mom when I got laid off the last time, 5 years ago. It's definitely tough on your own. Thankfully, I do have a safety net consisting of my mom (who can only help long distance) and a few trusted, close friends. That's key to handling stress as well. Now I also have an amazing boyfriend who is totally my rock, so things will be even easier when I get laid off this time around (sometime in the next 6 months).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  6. #26
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,215
    I had a job that gave me more stress than I could handle. I really thought it was the career choice, not the job. So I quit and went for a very long walk hoping I would think of something else I could do. Well, I ended up in the same career but in a different sector. I'm at a university instead of a dot-com. It's so different and I am so happy. I also gave up striving. I embrace my mediocrity. I don't get hung up on performance evaluations anymore. Not that I ever get them anymore. My partner seethes in anger during every review cycle. I just see it as the silly game it is. I used to work at the same company as him and back then I didn't care about the little number they rated me at.

    Long ago after I graduated college I didn't know what kind of job I could do. One of these job centers for low income people helped me get a job working with developmentally disabled adults. I really didn't want to do it. I told them in the interview I was afraid someone would drool on me. They hired me anyway. Turned out to be really fun. I started as a sub. My income was random but I alway said yes when they called. I ended up full time soon enough and eventually had a few promotions. You never know what might work out and sometimes you just have to start at the very rock bottom.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  7. #27
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I embrace my mediocrity.
    My brother has a saying: Life is so much better now that I no longer give a shit.

    Sounds really horrible until you realize there's some truth to it.

    At my work, we had a few guys that hauled ass to get their routes done super-human fast so they'd look like the model employees. The rest of us hustled, but we didn't literally run our routes, we just walked really fast. These guys never got promotions. All they got was more and more work added to the routes (so more and more stress added to their work days) and stuck in the same position with the rest of us waiting to get laid off.

    I'm not saying you shouldn't try and do a good job. That's just having a good work ethic. But I do think there's this idea that, if we work our asses off doing stuff we hate, there will be some kind of reward at the end, and that's not always true. You have to find your reward in daily life.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  8. #28
    doublehelix's Avatar
    doublehelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Doublehelix, I know a bit about this from personal information - I'd like to help but can I ask some questions?

    Have you had your cortisol levels tested? What test and what were the results?
    Do you have any other endocrine disturbances like diabetes, high insulin, hypothyroid, etc.?
    Do you take any supplements for it?

    My own experience with high cortisol which eventually became low cortisol/adrenal insufficiency after some years of heavy stress was that it didn't stably improve until I started addressing both mind and body. Cortisol drives the perception of stress up AND the perception of stress drives cortisol up.

    I haven't had them tested. I don't have any medical insurance so I can't have them tested.

    What did they do for you to reduce the cortisol??

  9. #29
    doublehelix's Avatar
    doublehelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Perhaps consider working outside of your field -- in one that might have some cross overs with what you already know how to do.

    And yes, a lot of people have a lot of stress these days. It's not just the economy or social expectations. It's how we react to these things as well -- or anything.

    I'm a mom of a 4 yr old who owns her own business which supports her family (sole breadwinner). Our immigration is predicated on our success as well. I have a husband who works in the business and is pretty much the primary caregiver of our son (who is also in kindy and in care one half-day a week). We made this risky big move because we saw the writing on the wall in the US: there was no way for me to start my business; my husband's company was systamatically letting people go and are now down to a skeleton crew; and it would be unlikely for us to maintain ourselves (get more work quickly, etc). So we sold up and moved to NZ and started a business.

    Without this, we have nothing. See?

    A lot of people are under stress. We just have to learn to manage it.

    Also, I'm a lot happier living here and doing work that I love. I love running this business. So even though we earn about half what we did in the US and the cost of living is higher here, the quality of life is MUCH better. And I feel in control of my own destiny, which is awesome.
    Oh yes, I have been looking for work outside of my field. But I have no skills outside of it. Employers aren't contacting me back. I have to find a job, and I am not getting results.
    I am on my own, with no one to lean on...I don't have money to start a business. Most of the "dog-sitting" type businesses don't make enough to support oneself. I have looked into starting a business, and went to the Small Business Association and some other groups. I don't have a skill I can market...

    I am glad things worked out for you. But it's not a one-size-fits all thing. I have no money to leave the US. Everything goes back to having the money to make things feasible. I am glad you are doing well and wish you more good fortune.

  10. #30
    doublehelix's Avatar
    doublehelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    68
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had a job that gave me more stress than I could handle. I really thought it was the career choice, not the job. So I quit and went for a very long walk hoping I would think of something else I could do. Well, I ended up in the same career but in a different sector. I'm at a university instead of a dot-com. It's so different and I am so happy. I also gave up striving. I embrace my mediocrity. I don't get hung up on performance evaluations anymore. Not that I ever get them anymore. My partner seethes in anger during every review cycle. I just see it as the silly game it is. I used to work at the same company as him and back then I didn't care about the little number they rated me at.

    Long ago after I graduated college I didn't know what kind of job I could do. One of these job centers for low income people helped me get a job working with developmentally disabled adults. I really didn't want to do it. I told them in the interview I was afraid someone would drool on me. They hired me anyway. Turned out to be really fun. I started as a sub. My income was random but I alway said yes when they called. I ended up full time soon enough and eventually had a few promotions. You never know what might work out and sometimes you just have to start at the very rock bottom.

    I've applied for anything, and yes, I'd be willing to do just that...I look at everything. But most of the jobs working with disabled want specific degrees. There aren't a lot of jobs that are just "come as you are" type of jobs. Maybe when they open up, someone knows of someone and they send their friends in.
    I've been turned for jobs I know I could do. I've applied as an instructor, you name it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •