Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu

Hybrid View

Flu

What are your thoughts on receiving the flu shot?

Paleobird Guest
    My thoughts are, "Oh please, Let's not have this debate again". We did this last year. And the year before. It gets ugly quickly.

But, if you want to do it again, carry on.

I didn't bring the subject up for a debate, I truly want opinions. I work for a company that said if we do not receive the flu shot this years we will be terminated and they have legal backing on this. Puts me at a disadvantage and I have conflicting opinions about this topic.

I'm highly curious, are you in the medical field? I've heard about medical workers being required, but nothing outside of that yet.

Personally, I don't do it. I've only had the flu shot twice in my life--the first time was 17 years ago. It was a bad flu year and my employer was giving $20 (cash) if you got one, so I got a shot for free at the health department and pocketed the cash. I came down sick right after the shot and missed several days of work, doh. The second time was a couple of years ago during the H1N1 scare, I had a toddler at the time and I had been having health issues, so I figured it would be better safe than sorry. The kids were fine, however I felt like I'd been hit by a truck (fatigue, achy joints, muscle weakness) for days afterward.

We don't get sick a lot anyway--I abandoned CW about antibacterial soaps and obsessive hand washing/sanitizing years ago after reading about the hygiene hypothesis. Germs are our friends. Our daughter has never had antibiotics, and I hope she never needs them. The few illnesses she's had have been mild and short lived. I let fevers run their course and do their job, and favor soothing remedies (honey for a sore throat, humidifier w/vapor for stuffiness, etc.) over pharmaceuticals. Modern medicine is great, but I don't like interfering with nature when it's unnecessary. I am not anti-vaccine, just selective. If myself or my child had serious health issues (particularly immune system issues) I would probably get the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I didn't bring the subject up for a debate, I truly want opinions. I work for a company that said if we do not receive the flu shot this years we will be terminated and they have legal backing on this. Puts me at a disadvantage and I have conflicting opinions about this topic.

Hi Meeshar i am in the medical field. last year my company recommended it but this year it is required. Many employees are complaining about this. What is even more disturbing is I spoke with a drug rep a few weeks ago and she works for the company that produces the vaccine and I asked her what the efficacy of the flu shot is and her answer was, "We don't know". Scary stuff!!

Hi Meeshar i am in the medical field. last year my company recommended it but this year it is required. Many employees are complaining about this. What is even more disturbing is I spoke with a drug rep a few weeks ago and she works for the company that produces the vaccine and I asked her what the efficacy of the flu shot is and her answer was, "We don't know". Scary stuff!!

They never know, and if you say you've had flu shots and still got sick, "Oh, it only protects against one kind of flu, not everything."
    But the issue isn't if they work or not. The issue is your rights. I'd say if they can't prove in writing that you agreed to flu shots when you accepted the job, then they can't force you. I can't say that you'd have a case if they fire you over it, but if they fire you over this, they'd fire you for something else... then they are just looking for something.

I think all of this is downright scary. Employers shouldn't be able to mandate anything. They can't use the excuse that they are caring for their patients. Your rights aren't trampled by that reason, and, if they really worried about patients getting the flu, they wouldn't let anyone in the room who hasn't had a flu shot, including family and visitors.

Well then, the question seems to be, do you like your job? I hate getting the flu shot, but, like I said before, it's a job requirement. I get the stupid shot every year, and I bitch about it, but I still do it. I love my job, and they pay me decently, so I suck it up and get the stupid fucking shot.

lol, i am not an old person or a baby with a weak immune system. i don't believe in them.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I also have an immune system that works. Haven't had a cold or flu for about 15 months now.

Last time I had a flu shot it made some chronic inflammatory conditions much much worse.

So I'll pass ta very much.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Three points:

1) A truly healthy person does not need a flu shot.
    2) (I believe) There is nothing necessarily harmful about the actual vaccine. (dead viruses)
    3) (I believe) The use of mercury in the form of thymerisol to preserve vaccines is harmful to our health.