Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot/Shin cramping page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If I forget to take my magnesium at night, I get twitchy legs and I wake up in the middle of the night. I wouldn't really describe it as "cramping", but kind of.

I agree with some of the others - try upping your electrolytes. Magnesium improves your sleep, even if it does nothing for the cramping, and like SophieScreams says, regular morning poops are an added bonus, so I would give it a shot. Most people are deficient anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I've been going through a lot of bone broth, love the stuff, but not before exercise. I will make a point to have some with my breakfast before my 6am group training session. I know many here do fasted exercise but that's never worked well for me, once I've been primal a few more months I will try it again.

I will look into your suggested supplement ideas. The cramping doesn't happen every night - and I don't have varicose veins or twitchy legs, so am pretty confident that I am missing something in my diet - but when it happens it is pretty intense. I do have regular morning poops already

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I just put a couple of days into CRON-O-Meter and found that I am only getting a little more than half of recommended Magnesium, and a bit less than half of Potassium. This is likely the root of my problem, along with not drinking enough water. I suspect the shin rather than calf cramping is related to my gym work.

I've ordered the CALM Cherry Magnesium supplement from Amazon. My calcium is also pretty low, but I want to do more research before I go to supplementation. I've read conflicting reports on that approach.

My B6 intake is over 100%, my B1 and Folate intake is just a little low, I am sure I can take care of this through diet. Vitamin A and K are both way off the charts, but it is all dietary and I am sure my body is just dumping what it doesn't need (I assume). Selenium and Zinc are both fine.

Does any of that sound unusual/something I need to address? I am unaccustomed to even thinking about micronutrients...

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    If I forget to take my magnesium at night, I get twitchy legs and I wake up in the middle of the night. I wouldn't really describe it as "cramping", but kind of.

I agree with some of the others - try upping your electrolytes. Magnesium improves your sleep, even if it does nothing for the cramping, and like SophieScreams says, regular morning poops are an added bonus, so I would give it a shot. Most people are deficient anyway.
    Oh, you have the dreaded Restless Legs Syndrome! Big Pharma would like to have a word with you...step away from the magnesium...that's right, nice n slow...we have a pretty little pill for you...don't read the fine print...only need another three drugs to counteract the side effect of our jimmy leg pills...

Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    Oh, you have the dreaded Restless Legs Syndrome! Big Pharma would like to have a word with you...step away from the magnesium...that's right, nice n slow...we have a pretty little pill for you...don't read the fine print...only need another three drugs to counteract the side effect of our jimmy leg pills...

They've already got me for the Imitrex when I forget to take the magnesium (or a "friend" lies about what's in the food) and I get a rager of a migraine. They're not getting any more money out of me! Not that they need it or anything...
    ;^)

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I get weakness in my legs, and 'tightness' in my calf muscles. Is there any dangers of taking magnesium oil, if i am not infact magnesium deficient? Like any OD type of concerns?

I also wake up after about 6hrs of sleep and i'm in and out after that which is annoying.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    I get weakness in my legs, and 'tightness' in my calf muscles. Is there any dangers of taking magnesium oil, if i am not infact magnesium deficient? Like any OD type of concerns?

I also wake up after about 6hrs of sleep and i'm in and out after that which is annoying.
    It's really rare to find someone that isn't magnesium deficient. It just isn't in the soil much anymore, so it doesn't get into our food the way it used to. Monocropping sucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12