Thread: Just finished a 72 hour fast!!! page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

Just finished a 72 hour fast!!!

Shop Now
    This idea came on spontaneously. I've been working on losing some weight. I've been having great workouts until Thursday where I felt like a train wreck. I figured after that it'd be time I take an easy week. And I figured I could get away with eating less for the next week since I wouldn't be working out as hard. So Thursday I ended up skipping my workout and leaving early, didn't feel hungry, and so I skipped dinner and fasted that night. Friday I felt fine and figured I'd skip all my meals that day as well. Today I pondered on going another day but figured what the heck and had breakfast for dinner. I ate a good meal, nothing too big, am feeling stuffed right now, and am probably done eating for the day.

It was crazy. Friday night I started to feel cold. This morning my friend came over and said it was too hot in my house. I usually keep the heat around 73-75 degrees fahrenheit, but today I had it up to 84, felt really cold, and I couldn't tell it was hot. After leaving I turned the heat down to 73, went out for the day and had dinner, came back and noticed it was rather warm.

That is how I know my metabolism slowed down for sure. It makes the body colder in order to conserve energy. I don't consider that a bad thing. It was actually rather interesting. I feel a lot more energetic after eating now. And surprisingly I wasn't that hungry at dinner and didn't in any way shape or form have the desire to commit gluttony. I am convinced that fasting some how resets your hunger so that when you finally do eat even a little bit you feel ful a lot quicker.

I'd also like to mention for those who heard that fasting increases your metabolic rate, I'm not sure about the exact number of hours, but that is true. During a fast, you're metabolic rate will increase initially for the first day or so, then it will eventually start to decrease. I don't think that's a bad thing though because your body still burns a good amount of fat for every extra day that you fast. And I am absolutely sure that the metabolism gets restored back to normal after. Proof of that for me was the fact that earlier I felt cold at 84 degrees, but later after eating I felt warm at 73.

As far as results goes, I lost a few lbs during the fast. I can't tell so much on my belly, but it does seem to show on my face. My face definitely looks thinner.

I've tried up to 48 hour fasts in the past, but didn't like it and ended up hungrier when I came off. But this time seemed different. I was mentally prepared; since I haven't been doing much lately the whole idea seemed like it would be easy. And it was easy. I just think not socializing for a few days made it easier because people typically eat together as a social event.

For anyone who is overweight or even a healthy weight with a few extra lbs on them, I'd definitely recommend it, if you're mentally prepared for it. I think for me it was a lot easier since I had already been eating very little carbs and calories for a while, so it just seemed a lot easier. It was definitely a fun experiment and I surely saw some benefits. Heck, I might even try it a few more times this month.

gmatt is offline Member
    Nice work. You saved some money too!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    It was crazy. Friday night I started to feel cold. This morning my friend came over and said it was too hot in my house. I usually keep the heat around 73-75 degrees fahrenheit, but today I had it up to 84, felt really cold, and I couldn't tell it was hot. After leaving I turned the heat down to 73, went out for the day and had dinner, came back and noticed it was rather warm.

That is how I know my metabolism slowed down for sure. It makes the body colder in order to conserve energy.
    Maybe, or maybe you were just dehydrated and eating out (restaurants are notorious for high salt) corrected the electrolyte/water imbalance. I can tell you that when you get the cold chills and it's 110 out, it's not because your metabolism is slowing down!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i see you have aligned with your fate and found the path towards becoming a true primal warrior

the next test will be to fast for one week. if you pass, you will have ascended to a higher status in the primal brotherhood and will live sufficiently on sunshine and air

for only those of weak spirit need food
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i see you have aligned with your fate and found the path towards becoming a true primal warrior

the next test will be to fast for one week. if you pass, you will have ascended to a higher status in the primal brotherhood and will live sufficiently on sunshine and air

for only those of weak spirit need food
    Hahahahaha!!! Breatharians rule the air! Long live the Primal Brotherhood!!

@#*%@!

46-50 hours is my sweet spot, for these past few weeks...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    That is fantastic!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I agree completely! I've been including weekly 48 hour fasts and my weight loss has consistently been 3 - 4lbs a week since I started the weekly fasting 4 weeks ago. The longest fast I've done is 60 hours. I may try a 72+ hour fast the day after Thanksgiving, the following Monday breakfast would be my first meal.

Imagine LOSING weight over T-day?

DC
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5