Thread: Adding Hand Stand Press Ups to PBF page

Richardmac is offline Senior Member

Adding Hand Stand Press Ups to PBF

Hey guys and gals. Im loving being back on PBF. I finished it all but have jumped back a few stages and have added a set per exercise. Target is now 3 sets per movements before moving on. What is the thinking of maybe adding in Hand Stand Push Ups as a primal movement (with stages building up to doing complete hand stand push ups for X number of reps)?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey guys and gals. Im loving being back on PBF. I finished it all but have jumped back a few stages and have added a set per exercise. Target is now 3 sets per movements before moving on. What is the thinking of maybe adding in Hand Stand Push Ups as a primal movement (with stages building up to doing complete hand stand push ups for X number of reps)?

Richard
    I am doing CC so I think the handstand pushhups are great.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I have the PB fitness that had them in it....guess it's been removed from what I've read. The progression use to be getting into Downward Dog type pose (or the beginner of a divebomber if you like) and just doing presses like that, then elevating the feet to being on a bench and doing the same, then a taller bench, then a wall at almost vertical for a static hold, then presses.....I suppose after that you could work on your core and balance to hold the handstand without the wall and toward a free standing handstand press.

Personally I like to walk on my hands for several reps as far as I can (usually about 15 yards is good for me).
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing Convict Conditioning for about 18 months or so, and I'm finally getting to the point where I can handle handstand work- my forearms and shoulders just weren't strong enough until I was pretty high on the pushup scale.

Of course, this is exactly what is in the CC book, and me thinking I could handle it right off the bat, I've been working my handstands for all this time with no real progress until just recently. Gotta learn to follow the program.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I wrote this article about Handstand Push-ups that you may find helpful. HSPUs are one of my favorite exercises!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    the original pbf had the following reps and progressions:

elevated jack knife press: 20
    jack knife press: 15
    dive bomber: 10
    shoulder press push up: 7
    handstand: 90 seconds
    half hspu: 7
    hspu: 5