Thread: Parsnips? page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

Question Parsnips?

Primal Fuel
    Are parsnips okay on primal? Or just once in a while, like white potatoes?

The reason I ask is, my mom bought a load of parsnips at the grocery store, so I threw one in my soup. It's quite delicious but definitely potato-like. So I googled the GI of parsnips and I see it's extremely high. My mom is making a parsnip curry for tonight along with mahi mahi, and I'm wondering if I should eat it or avoid it. Thanks!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Eat! Here is a breakdown of the nutritional profile

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Parsnips, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt

Plenty worth having...

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thank you, that's very useful! Definitely a carb but lots of good stuff in there, I think I shall have some.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Parsnips are related to carrots, so they should be a good addition to a winter diet....

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Try them roasted with pumpkin sweet potatoes and rosemary n olive oil. My favourite!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Parsnips are really good. I like them with pot roast. Here is a yummy recipe with parsnips and potatoes

Garlic-Potato Parsnip Puree Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

I roasted cubed parsnips, carrots, a turnip, and a potato last night, with a little EVOO and S&P. I reserved a few sliced coins of parsnips and potato. Then I sauteed a whole diced onion and some cloves of garlic in about 4T of butter and some curry powder, and when soft I added the roast vegetables and 4 c. of vegetable broth, then let it simmer about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I fried the coins of parsnip and potato until crispy and browned. After 20 minutes, I pureed the vegetable soup with an immersion blender, adjusted S&P, and added about a half cup of heavy cream. Served with a few coins of the fried veggies on top.

Wife eats veggie + fish, so I sometimes eat vegetarian. This came out quite good, very hearty, very simple to make.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Big source of insoluble fiber, low(er) in sugar than something like a carrot, high in vitamin C. High in carbs, but not the worst. I would sub them for potatoes if you are craving starch, but just eat them in moderation.

Roasted root vegetables are amazing! No need to even use oil or butter unless you want to do so. Cube and roast at at least 400 until soft.

You can even slice them thinly (don't peel; just wash), rub with a TINY bit of oil (yes, each 'coin') and put on cookie sheet. Top with another cookie sheet and press down. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes; rotate sheet at 10 mins. Remove cookie sheet on top and bake for another 10-20 mins. Watch them so they don't burn. Put on cooling rack (they will crisp up as they cool; especially if you use little oil). Try adding sea salt, cayenne or other spices before baking. Cinnamon? YUM

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel