Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your weekly menu planning like? page 2

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Depending on how busy you are, you might want to cook 3 different meals in bigger quantities rather than 5 different meals for one day. I personally LOVE cooking, but even so, cooking a different thing daily after work stresses me out, so it's nice to have 2-3 nights a week of just leftover stuff.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I always buy wild salmon and mussels when on sale and stock that in the freezer as a fallback. Then I go to the Farmer's Market and buy veggies and meat. Veggies what looks good (salad, kale, onions and potatos, carrots, zuchini, squash etc). Then at the meat stand I get eggs, bacon and patties for breakfast, a couple of cheap roasts for the crockpot, liver and/or soup bones, and a sausage or similar. That's usually enough to last us for a week (family of four): 1 fish, 1 soup, 2 roast, 1 other meat, 1 leftover day. Supermarket is all organic dairy and local fruit, and I usually have to go twice a week for that.

Oh, we also usually have 1 sushi meal a week so I buy avocado and crabmeat for that, too.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I've tried cooking bigger meals to have some the next day befoe. Unfortunately H tends to eat until things are gone! There are rarely leftovers, even when I've cooked for four rather than two!

He usually does the cooking as he finishes work much earlier than me, so by preparing three meals today, he can just heat them up on the day.

But you're right. I'll look a making bigg meals next week and hiding some away to freeze it.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    I've tried cooking bigger meals to have some the next day befoe. Unfortunately H tends to eat until things are gone! There are rarely leftovers, even when I've cooked for four rather than two!
    I'm not sure how you serve meals, but I'd recommend portioning when you cook a meal intended for planned-overs - one serving on your plate, one serving on his, 2 servings in tupperware (or whatever you're using to put in the fridge - we use glass containers). If you (or DH) are still hungry after your portion is gone, eat something else, but not the leftovers. We usually have nuts, fruits, veggies, unplanned leftovers, and a few other things on hand for snacking.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We are a family of 5.

Weekday Breakfasts: 1 * Fast, 2 * Bacon / Meat Muffins and Eggs, 1 * porridge, 1 * cereal
    Weekend Breakfasts: 5 * Banana muffins

Weekday Lunch: 1 * Fast, 4 * fruit and nuts
    Weekend Lunch: regular dinner

Regular Dinner:
    a. Slowcooked meat with steamed veges
    b. Steak/Mince stir fry with fresh veges
    c. Meatballs/loaf/muffins/Roast chicken with roast veges
    d. Fish Fritatta
    e. Fish and Chips (takeaway cheat meal on Friday nights)

Every second night we have baked bananas with dark chocholate and cream as dessert.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Do NOT do what I do!

Which is: make dishes with enough leftovers to feed 6 people (even though you live alone). Fill your fridge and freezer with good food. Then, when mealtime comes around stand in front of the fridge and freezer with the doors open for a couple minutes. Sigh because nothing sounds good to you (the curse of finally getting close to ketosis!). Hop in the car and go down to the local co-op, pick up a grass-fed new-york strip steak and fresh avocado. Come straight back home and throw it on the grill pan. Feel guilty because you did not eat the leftovers... :P

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Hey,

In terms of weekly shopping have you thought about home delivery? Not sure how wide spread this is, but in the UK all our shopping centres do home delivery. It saves a lot of time and effort. I receive my food in the AM every sunday.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Oh yes, I know what that's like. I will be moving in with the BF next year and hopefully our household will be pretty primal (he totally agrees with this way of living, albeit slips up a lot more often than I do). I fear the amount of cooking I'll be doing and how much it will cost, especially when it comes to meat. I've come over to his place to grill with 2 lbs of meat, only to have him say he's still hungry after eating it all.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Do NOT do what I do!

Which is: make dishes with enough leftovers to feed 6 people (even though you live alone). Fill your fridge and freezer with good food. Then, when mealtime comes around stand in front of the fridge and freezer with the doors open for a couple minutes. Sigh because nothing sounds good to you (the curse of finally getting close to ketosis!). Hop in the car and go down to the local co-op, pick up a grass-fed new-york strip steak and fresh avocado. Come straight back home and throw it on the grill pan. Feel guilty because you did not eat the leftovers... :P
    Lol... I do this too.
    Ideally, I'd plan meals, then shop, but usually I do one of these things:
    Head to the store needing eggs, walk out with 3 cuts of grass fed beef, all kinds of veggies & super dark organic chocolate with "strange" add-ins.
    OR
    Find a recipe I want to cook, buy ingredients (inevitably forgetting something and ending up in the first grocery situation)
    OR
    Get everything I want from Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Fairway & the one of the farmers markets, then realize there's way too much food in my house, find a recipe to use several items at once, end up in situation #2. Oy!

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    We plan for the week (two adults, one toddler) and do our shopping over the weekend. On Sunday mid-day, we make a big egg, zucchini and sausage frittata and a huge batch of turkey and sweet potato hash. These two dishes become our post-work-out meal and breakfast (we both work out in the early morning, have some hash immediately after the workout, and then a slice of the frittata about an hour later). Lunch is always a BA Salad - lettuce, mixed chopped veg (from Trader Joe's -- comes pre-chopped), a pre-cooked chicken breast (also from TJ's), olives, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, avocado, pine nuts, and homemade dressing or just some oil and vinegar. Those things are pretty much the same every day, pretty much every week. There's the occasional other egg dish on a weekend or what have you, but that is really about 90% of our breakfasts and lunches. Since we eat it week after week, it makes shopping easy too - no new planning.

We have more variety in our dinners, but pretty much every week involves:

1 large roast (either a pork roast or a whole organic chicken, usually in the slow cooker on sunday) with tons of roasted veg. Tonight was chicken + butternut squash and broccoli. It's enough to last another night, possibly 2 more nights.

On Tuesday, I'll make a huge pot of beef chili - 2 lbs organic grass-fed beef (trader joe's again), 1 onion, 5 organic bell peppers, three cans of tomatoes with green chiles (TJ's tomatoes are all canned BPA-free, just FYI), one can tomato paste, spices. We'll serve it over leafy greens (like kale or spinach) or do a side of some other veg. That should last 2-3 nights, depending on how much veg we have. One favorite is to do the fake cous-cous (from cauliflower) from the Well Fed cookbook/Clothes Make the Girl blog.

On Thurs or Friday, when the rest of that food is gone, we'll make a stir fry (frozen shrimp, frozen veggies, homemade stir-fry sauce) or sometimes just order sushi/sashimi in if we are too tired.

And many, if not most, nights, I like a an apple sliced up with almond butter on it (raw, unsalted, from TJ's)

For the most part, our daughter eats what we eat. She still does some dairy - whole organic milk, and some organic cheese and butter, but otherwise she's a protein + veggie + fruit girl.

We don't have time to vary our menu all that much. I personally don't get bored with it, my wife has more desire for variety, but we try and strike a balance between keeping things interesting and keeping things simple.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast