Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg cooking? page

Roryfd is offline Junior Member

Question Egg cooking?

Primal Fuel
    I've read that once you break the yoke and cook it, you destroy the goodness of the yoke, so I only eat poached and boiled eggs now.

From a Dr. Mercola article "Scrambling your eggs is one of the worst ways to eat eggs as it actually oxidizes the cholesterol in the egg yolk. If you have high cholesterol this may actually be a problem for you as the oxidized cholesterol may cause some damage in your body."

Thoughts?

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Coudnt you also eat them fried and over easy? Assuming the yoke doesnt break on accident...and when mine does, I cry...but fying an egg over easy or sunny side up leaves the yoke intact and yummy and gooey. I have never heard that about yokes...I just like my yokes runny.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would utterly disregard that. Frittata, omelette, scrambled eggs; they are delicious, nutritious, and of very long standing. How long has mercola been going??!! Oxidising the cholesterol? Eating it probably does that.... what about Mayonnaise?

I do begin to feel that people are looking for problems to the extent that FOOD is toxic.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Gosh, I hope not. I make scrambled eggs all the time and top it with salmon caviar. What? Don't judge me!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I always fry it sunny side up to not break the yolk
    Billie trips balls

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Does Mercola offer any actual science to back that up? It's an interesting concept and I'd be curious to see if there are any studies about that anywhere.

Another quote from another Dr. Mercola Article, and look who he's quoting, I also know that Mark mentions Dr. Mercola in his book, and I found out about Mark from Dr Mercola's site:

Dr. Mercola: " I would strongly encourage you to AVOID ALL omega-3 eggs, as they are some of the least healthy for you. These eggs typically come from chickens that are fed poor-quality sources of omega-3 fats that are already oxidized. Also, omega-3 eggs perish much faster than non-omega-3 eggs.

As discussed by Mark Sisson:

"...hens given an unnatural industry-standard diet high in omega-6 containing grains (soy and corn) produce less healthful eggs than hens on a more natural diet of grains lower in omega-6 with supplementary antioxidants.19

When subjects ate two of the soy/corn-fed eggs a day, which were high in omega-6 fats, their oxidized LDL levels were increased by 40 percent. Subjects who ate two of the other eggs each day, which were low in omega-6 fats, had normal levels of oxidized LDL (comparable to subjects in the control group, who consumed between two and four eggs a week). Since the oxidation of LDL particles is strongly hypothesized to be a crucial causative factor in atherosclerosis, it's conceivable that eating normal, industrial eggs could have a negative effect on carotid plaque."

Dr. Mercola: "Oxidized cholesterol (cholesterol that has gone rancid, such as that from overcooked, scrambled eggs) "

Thanks for the idea of the sunny side up fried egg, will give that a try tomorow morning in some coconut oil.
    Last edited by Roryfd; 09-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Another interesting Egg thought: "When you get your eggs home, store them on the counter instead of in the refrigerator, as this will help protect the nutrients. Although this is regarded as a “strange” practice in the United States, eggs are always stored at room temperature in Europe or South America."

From another Dr. Mercola article: "When an egg is overcooked, such as when it is scrambled, the cholesterol in it becomes oxidized, or rancid, and oxidized cholesterol can increase your levels of inflammation and lead to numerous health problems.

So if you want to get the maximum health benefits that eggs have to offer, choose organic varieties and eat them raw. The next best would be soft-boiled and then sunny-side up, with the yolk still very runny. "

I am not finding the souce yet for what Dr. Mercola says about scrambled eggs, and that is partly why I posted it here, to see if anyone else had any information about it.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mercola is a "Bulletproof Executive" stealer, and to be honest, I live in France and travelled throughout Europe, and eggs are always stored in the refrigerator.

I'm quite a bit worried about what you're posting though as I scramble them quite often
    (Shouldn't worry with my Triglycerides being 41 and HDL being 73 but still...)
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast