Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg cooking? page 3

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Roryfd View Post
    Interesting, thanks.
    I did find this in your sited url:
    Chris Kresser May 21, 2010 at 7:57 am

"Cooking will oxidize some of the cholesterol, which makes it less beneficial. Raw egg yolks are probably the best way to eat them, provided they come from pasture-raised chickens" right above the comment you posted, so overall it sounds OK to eat them scrambled.

Here's another one that says scrabled is bad June Russell's Health Facts: Eggs and Cholesterol - Controversy and Deception
    Yea, but he then goes on to say that oxidised dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with Oxidised LDL. No problem, i'll look for some more, I would like to get some solid answers to this too. It seems unlikely that our ancestors would have eaten eggs cooked, but that isn't to say it's bad for us. I hope that they aren't as i much prefer them cooked.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Yea, but he then goes on to say that oxidised dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with Oxidised LDL. No problem, i'll look for some more, I would like to get some solid answers to this too. It seems unlikely that our ancestors would have eaten eggs cooked, but that isn't to say it's bad for us. I hope that they aren't as i much prefer them cooked.
    In Stefansson's book "The Fat of the Land" he says most eggs were eaten raw, but they sometimes soft boiled
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple of reasons that I store eggs in the fridge. The most compeling reason would be to use the cold temp to slow the growth of any bacteria that could spoil the egg. Another reason to store the eggs in the fridge is that the shell is porous and the moisture in the eggs will evaporate. This is also why you don't want to store eggs in the same location as foods that have strong aromas, such as garlic etc. The eggs can absorb the odors. Storing eggs on the counter at room temperature in the long term can be detrimental to the quality of the egg and to your health if you happen to get an egg that has Salmonela in it. The protein in the egg white is a fantastic medium for bacteria to grow in.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    I always store my eggs on the counter, my SIL, who's a trained chef advised this, so I've taken her advice on it, as I believe she knows what she's talking about, she can certainly cook.

If you're keeping eggs long enough for the liquid inside to evaporate, you ain't getting through them fast enough!

You are correct about eggs taking on any strong flavours though, which I didn't realise until the aforementioned SIL told me!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Yea, but he then goes on to say that oxidised dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with Oxidised LDL.
    I think that's the key. Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on serum cholesterol levels carried by lipoproteins. I read the 9-part series by Dr. Peter Attia on cholesterol at eatingacademy.com. (There was also a 2-part summary of it here on MDA recently). He mentions that the majority of dietary cholesterol is esterified. Esterified cholesterol cannot be absorbed in the gut. I don't think it's as big a deal as Mercola makes it out to be. He has some good info, but he goes way off into the deep end on other stuff.

The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 1 | Mark's Daily Apple
    The straight dope on cholesterol

nriv is offline Junior Member
    I have also read somewhere that heating any omega-3 will destroy the omega-3 as it is a fragile oil. (That's why omega-3 supplement oils you can buy need to be stored in the fridge and in a dark bottle, to prevent oxidation.) Therefore when I make my bacon and eggs in the morning I usually just crack the white into the pan and pour the yolk on my plate so it doesnt get heated much at all and its omega-3 remains in tact. Also I think that if you do heat the yolk beyond the omega-3's stability then yes, the oxidised product will actually be harmful rather than beneficial to you, because of free radicals. I cannot remember where I read this but it doesn't seem to be the common view. Nonetheless I err on the side of caution and dont heat the yolk.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree on avoiding "Omega-3" eggs. Those chickens are fed a diet that is high in Flaxseed, which is certainly not a "normal" diet for a chicken. While it costs a lot, I always go for pasture raised, soy-free eggs. (Though at $7 a dozen, it is pricey!)

As for the cooking, I'd agree overall that raw or over easy is in general healthier than scrambled. This is especially true if you scramble your eggs at a higher heat. More importantly, WHY SCRAMBLE YOUR EGGS ANYWAY!! Runny egg yolk is one of nature's truly amazing creations. So healthy and so DAMN DELICIOUS!!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    We collect our eggs daily but I don't always put them in the fridge. I agree w/ your SIL, Dhansakdave.

Eggs have a natural 'capsule' on the shell to protect them from evaporation and bacteria. When I have to wash eggs that come dirty from the nest, those are the ones that I refrigerate because I have washed of the protective capsule. Otherwise, I've left them out for as long as a week without any problems and I eat mine sunny side up.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I think this is one of those instances where you can either consider that oxidized cholesterol to affect your health by .000001% or by 10%. Personally, I'm the former and I don't care if I eat my eggs with the yolks cooked or not.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I eat raw yolk in my paleo mayo, my salad dressings, and every now and then Balboa style. I like sunny side up for dipping....everything in. There is significant reasons not to eat the white raw which I'm sure are known (avidin), that is if your a raw all the time person. If not I see no long term problems with shooting some raw and eating some heated. I get my eggs for 2$/dozen from a local fella with about 80 chickens that lets em run. They eat EVERYTHING...pop top bottles, grass, seed, insects, probably even some grain, but they also get to run in the sun. Awesome orange yolks with great flavor. I can get other farmers eggs around me too in a pinch but I hit this fella up first.

For instance we are a family of four with my wife eating about 0 eggs, my two kids (3 and 5) eating 2-3/day EACH and Daddy...pounding about 6/day for a total of 4+ dozen or so a week. Wife does eat the mayo and dressings though .

Far as refrigeration....well we do. Basically everything lasts longer in the fridge including my sweet potatos. No denaturing of nutrients are gonna happen in the fridge but you will reduce oxidization of any sort and proliferation of bacteria so why not? I like to shoot my raw eggs cold though....just like my whiskey
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast