Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg cooking? page 2

Roryfd is offline Junior Member
    Base on this article How to Store Fresh Chicken Eggs: Traditional and Modern Methods for Preserving Eggs | Suite101.com , and others it seems some people think eggs are not stored in the refigerator throughout most of the world, I have never stored them anywhere but the fridge, but found it an interesting idea. Here is another tid bit from an internet serach on storing eggs "(Briefly “In the USA, government standards say all eggs must be washed and stored at temperatures no higher than 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Washing the eggs is a good thing but it does leave the eggs without an outer coating and very susceptible to invasion by bacteria. Hence refrigeration of washed eggs is absolutely necessary.” Unwashed eggs do not need to be refrigerated)"

From RealfoodUniversity: "The reason for not breaking the yolk is to not expose the fats and cholesterol to heat, light, and oxygen and hence raise the possibility of oxidation of the fat and cholesterol"

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Are you referring to this site? "The Bulletproof Executive was born out of a fifteen-year single-minded crusade to upgrade the human being using every available technology. It distills the knowledge of more than 120 world-class MDs, biochemists, Olympic nutritionists, meditation experts, and more than $250,000 spent on personal self-experiments."

Based on that it seems it's information is based on many others. Dr. Mercola gives many references in his articles, so what I've posted from his articles may not be his own words but him siting others work or opinions as he does Mark's in the one article.

Velocity J is offline Member
    Interesting stuff. Here is one study that found oxidized cholesterol accelerates the development of atherosclerosis in mice.

In the study they took cholesterol and heated it at 100 Celsius (boiling point) for 16 hours, but only 5-10% of the cholesterol became oxidized. I find it hard to believe breaking the yolk would make too big of a difference. I make scrambled eggs all the time so I'm interested if anyone else has any info on this.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Mercola is a "Bulletproof Executive" stealer
    if, by that, you mean Mercola is just as much of a raving charlatan as the Bulletproof Exec. guy...then yes, you are correct.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Here Sally Fallon replies to the oxidized question Oxidized Cholesterol – Sally Fallon Answers A Reader Question About Healthy Milk | Kelly the Kitchen Kop, so maybe scrambled eggs are OK?

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Here is a link to Chris Kresser's post about Cholesterol.

The most important thing you probably don’t know about cholesterol

This is what he says about cooking eggs, when asked if oxidised Cholesterol is problematic, and if oxidised dietary cholesterol has anything to do with oxidised LDL.

1) No, not problematic. Studies show that egg consumption (cooked) decreases small LDL, which is the type most likely to oxidize.
    2) When LDL does oxidize (oxLDL), it’s the polyunsaturated fat in the membrane that oxidizes first, not the cholesterol, which is deep in the core of the particle.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I've read this same article from Mercola, he knows what he's talking about and inspired me to start eating some of my eggs raw. Mercola stresses about things too much, live your freakin life. I mean I've been eating my eggs scrambled almost everyday since I was a child and I'm certainly not going to stop now. After reading this from him, I did stop scrambling on high heat and now slow scramble them. I just broke a fast with raw milk and 6 raw eggs. Then I had bacon and 6 scrambled eggs. I do go through phases where I like em boiled, but honestly scrambled sits better on my stomach. I will say I'm starting to enjoy them raw more now and they digest the best to me.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting, thanks.
    I did find this in your sited url:
    Chris Kresser May 21, 2010 at 7:57 am

"Cooking will oxidize some of the cholesterol, which makes it less beneficial. Raw egg yolks are probably the best way to eat them, provided they come from pasture-raised chickens" right above the comment you posted, so overall it sounds OK to eat them scrambled.

Here's another one that says scrambled is bad June Russell's Health Facts: Eggs and Cholesterol - Controversy and Deception
    Last edited by Roryfd; 09-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast