Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting (My First Day Questions) page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Question Intermittent Fasting (My First Day Questions)

So today I end my first attempt at IFing. In about an hour I'll have done my first 24 hour fast. Believe me, I can't remember a time in my life I have EVER gone this long without food. All i've had is water.

And honestly... it's not so bad.

At first I got really hungry... but then it went away... then I got hungry again much later... but it went away too.

And here I am... really not that hungry at all. But I do plan to eat when the 24 hours is over.

I have figured out a little schedule in my head for fasting. So I have a few questions.

Is 3 fasts a week a good idea?

How long are your fasts? 24 hours?

Do you tell your loved ones? (Because I know my husband would kill me for fasting. He'd be like "oh that's unhealthy!")

Do fasts feel different after you've done them for a while?

I gotta say, I'm suprised how easy this is. Two months ago I would have gotten the shakes and collapsed on the floor (literally) if I would have gone 3 hours without food. Now I can go 24 hours! This is amazing!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

preston is offline Junior Member
    I do a 24 hours fast almost everyday.
    All of my family is always like, "You still don't eat during the day......I don't see how you do it".
    I got my girlfriend to give it a whirl and she does it pretty much as often as I do now.

I can tell you that the fasts get easier every time you do them. I don't even think about it now. It's like this is the normal way, and eating in the morning or afternoon is very odd to me now instead.

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    The longest I've gone so far is 18 hours, I'm slowly working my way up to 24+ hr fasts.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    I do a 24 hours fast almost everyday.
    I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you do a 24 fast everyday then you would never be eating, right? When I read Eat Stop Eat I got that you could eat let's say at 4pm everyday and only once a day you would in theory be doing 24 hour fasts. I'm assuming that your fasts are really only maybe 20-21 hrs long considering the time you spend in the fed state, but definitely do correct me if I'm wrong.

I mostly do 18hrs, last meal at 8, next at 2pm the following day, it fits nicely with my workout schedule. The days I don't workout (but have work) it's similar but I may have less food. I haven't been sprinting for about 3 weeks so I can't tell if it's working (I experienced most of my weight loss when I was sprinting 2x a week, so I need to get back to sprinting)

I'm actually worried that I may not be eating enough, I'm naturally less hungry so I'm eating once around 2 then again around 6-8pm but I mostly make one meal for the whole day so I think I'm eating around 1600 cals at most every day regardless of activity levels for that day. They are however nutrient dense calories so maybe that's why my body doesn't ask for more. Intermittent Fasting is a subject of great interest for me.

(((PS: Did anybody find themselves disagreeing with some of what Eat Stop Eat said? I found the book to be somewhat lazy on a subject that hasn't been explored at length yet, I also thought it made some pretty outrageous claims "eating this way erases a hamburger and fries!!" or "it's okay to have coffee or tea during a fast, even diet coke!" these quotes are almost verbatim, and I think give the wrong idea of what people should eat in general. There was very little information on that, it basically said, if you do 24hr IFs once or twice a week you can eat as you wish and lose weight which may prove true but is probably very hard to do eating a SAD diet)))

JohnOTD is offline Member
    I just ended a (roughly) 30 hour fast this morning at 4:30am with 6 slices of bacon and 3 eggs, yum yum!

A lot of the 'trick' to fasting is learning to tell your body "no". Our bodies get used to certain stimuli at certain times (eating at specific times, for example) and when we don't meet those conditions the body is used to it tries to alert us that it is time for _____ (sleep, food, etc).

What I've found is that during a fast, if I get hungry I'll drink half a glass of water and that usually fixes it. This is also a good skill to carry over into times that aren't designated fasts. Many times when we feel hungry, we're actually just a little dehydrated and water will do the trick.

In terms of length, I'm not exactly sure on the rules for a primal IF, but I know that most peoples bodies can go for about 3 days without really starting to consume muscle mass (unless of course you have very low BF%). I've done long period fasts in the past for other reasons. I think my longest was a week. After about day 3 your body gets used to not eating and you actually get these weird little bursts of energy without any sort of a crash.

Frequency = I generally go 12-24 hours between meals and have had no problems.
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    What about weight loss? Is fasting helpful to weight loss?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOTD View Post
    I've done long period fasts in the past for other reasons. I think my longest was a week. After about day 3 your body gets used to not eating and you actually get these weird little bursts of energy without any sort of a crash.
    Care to elaborate more on what 3+ days of no food feels/is like? did you carry every day functions during those days? what do you do for work/school/etc did you only have water during those days? and lastly WHY did you do it? to experiment or see if you could, or what would happen? Very curious about this...

Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    What about weight loss? Is fasting helpful to weight loss?
    Yes, basically what you're doing is putting your body in a calorie deficit by not eating at all. Even if when you do eat you eat "big" and consume many calories your body should even out. There's also some other physiological forces at work that help with the fat loss (IF-ing doesn't sacrifice too much muscle if you eat protein and fat) but I think those would be best explained by somebody more versed on the subject.

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    I experienced my first 24 hour IF almost a week ago. I was surprised how well I did. I had a few hunger pangs during the day, but then for the last two hours I had some difficulty with it..

Then a few days ago I went about 15 hours IF.. with no problems whatsoever. I plan to continue to do it, here and there.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have done two ~24 hour fasts without a problem at all - way easier than I thought. I chalk it up to my body now using stored fat for fuel as opposed to relying on the carb influx I used to do every 3 hours and the blood sugar roller coaster ride that ensues. I have decided to add one in every Wednesday - so long as I feel like it. So, Tuesday at 6pm is my last meal and then I don't eat until dinner on Wednesday at 6pm. I am actually looking forward to it! I think I might do a ~36 hour fast this week just for kicks and resume eating with breakfast on Thursday :-)
    Last edited by Mac; 04-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast