Thread: Help wanted: Recovery meals and some weight loss issues. page

SJW2 is offline Member

Help wanted: Recovery meals and some weight loss issues.

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Bear with me here, I could use some help. A little background first. I went primal about 2 years ago with great results. I started at 177 (as a 29 yo 5'10 male), shed weight quickly, and got to a low of 162. Eventually, I seemed to stall out. I also got a little cocky and complacent. I figured I could be relatively lazy since the weight was flying off. Also, I figured I had had such success I could cheat a little more often. I suspect my metabolism may be a little screwed. When I was in college I gained 50 pounds due to poor diet, inactivity, and probably anti-depressants that I took temporarily - went from about 150 up to 200). Anyways, I started to put weight back on. I cheated more because I was frustrated that I stopped losing. Eventually I got back to 177 (maybe just shy of it) - and honestly, that was while still maintaining a relatively high level of paleo diet. So I figured either I just need to be lower on carbs than others and/or needed to increase my activity level.

I decided to re-buckle down almost 2 months ago. I have shed about 4 or 5 pounds. But that is still pretty slow. I went back to pretty strict paleo and running 5-6x a week. Then I tried Insanity for three days and realized that was stupid. Not to mention, I was RAVENOUSLY hungry even up til the day after I quit. I don't mind the workout, I was weirded out by the hunger and carb cravings which I have very little of since going Paleo. And it seemed sort of unsustainable. Then I decided to return to the Primal Blueprint Fitness model which I will start this coming week. I did do it temporarily back when I got to 162 but not for very long. I did see quick results (0 pull ups to 7 in a few weeks). Perhaps that will help fuel my weight loss. I'd actually like to get down to at least 155 (actually I'm more focused on about 10% ish Body Fat).

With all of this said:
    1. What do you all think were the causes of my weight loss stalling before and why I am not shedding them very fast yet? Do you think it is simple as not having enough of a Fitness regiment?

2. What is the general consensus around here for how to refuel your body after workouts? Increased carbs after sprinting or other HIIT? Or keep the same? Increased carbs just after workouts? Does that include after lifting heavy things? I understand the desire for quick hit of protein after workouts.

Any help is VERY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

SJW2 is offline Member
    Also maybe I should add a typical day of eating for me:

Breakfast
    4 Eggs, 4 slices of bacon, served with avocado and some hot sauce

Snack
    Some berries and almonds

Lunch
    Chicken Fajitas (with no tortilla), so chicken plus onions and peppers over spinach

Dinner
    Pork chops with carrots and sweet potatoes or broccoli and cauliflower
    or
    Salmon with brussel sprouts
    or
    Grass-fed beef salad with onions and mushrooms

You get the idea. I've cut back on fruits. I used to eat a banana a day almost. Mark says you shouldn't really need to limit fruits and vegetables, but I think you may need to limit fruit.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I tend to eat what I went, regardless of workout day or not, but I don't restrict carbs at all.

Some people do high fat on rest days, and high carb on hard workout days.

You're eating okay, but I tend to recommend not snacking. Ever. Give your body at least 4-5 hours in between eating. If you aren't hungry enough for a full meal, you aren't really hungry.

And if you are trying to reduce body fat, reduce your running and increase your lifting. Building muscle is a complementary process to losing fat in this regard. Follow PBF- walk a lot, sprint sometimes, and lift heavy things.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 09-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I tend to eat what I went, regardless of workout day or not, but I don't restrict carbs at all.

Some people do high fat on rest days, and high carb on hard workout days.

You're eating okay, but I tend to recommend not snacking. Ever. Give your body at least 4-5 hours in between eating. If you aren't hungry enough for a full meal, you aren't really hungry.

And if you are trying to reduce body fat, reduce your running and increase your lifting. Building muscle is a complementary process to losing fat in this regard. Follow PBF- walk a lot, sprint sometimes, and lift heavy things.
    You don't find that after an intense sprint workout or heavy lifting workout that you feel so depleted you feel like you NEED carbs? Like I said, never quite felt that way until I tried Insanity.

Anyways perhaps you right about snacking. Dunno. Others say grazing is a good way to eat.

SJW2 is offline Member
    One more shot. I'd love to hear more thoughts.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I probably up my carbs on those days, but not really consciously. I workout in some form just about every day, and I don't ever restrict my carbs- I just have some every day regardless of my workout schedule.

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I probably up my carbs on those days, but not really consciously. I workout in some form just about every day, and I don't ever restrict my carbs- I just have some every day regardless of my workout schedule.

Thanks for the input. Some can afford to not pay strict attention - must be nice!

sammiedomenic is offline Junior Member
    Weight loss is undoubtedly one of the things that people of various age groups are quite obsessed about. Men, women, and teens have different reasons for wanting to lose weight.