Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Rant on Modern Life page 2

doublehelix is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPumpkin View Post
    Side note...when I was working physical jobs it was very easy to stay slim and build muscle. Now I am working in a law office and as a librarian. I am plumping back up and losing muscle tone very fast. I was better off when I was lifting heavy things, running around outside, and cleaning barns!
    I agree. Physical jobs are better for our bodies in some ways. Physical jobs vs. just standing in one place, like a cashier, though...It seems to be a toss up between our brains and our bodies. Our brains want the more cerebral jobs, but our bodies need more physical work. I find nothing more ridiculous than leaving for a job during my REM sleep, working all day, and having to come home and "exercise" when I am tired.
    But I noticed something with my last job...I was pretty active with it. Lots of walking all over a big building. Constantly. Long walk from the parking garage. I'd say that was some good exercise, too. I don't walk slowly. Now, I think the stress I endured offset all of that. It was constant. I had two coworkers who didn't like anyone new, and they got the last two people fired. Forget fairness, they were in good with the bosses. It was constant harassment daily, and I made a formal complaint about it. It simply did no good to try and buck the whole system. Sometimes, no matter how you fight it, it's going to happen when people are that competitive. I truly love working with people who are focused on getting things done, but these people were not like that. Something had to cause my weight gain there and after I lost my job. It wasn't how I ate.

Quote Originally Posted by Credodisi View Post
    Do you know how many calories you are consuming? If you are not tracking your food intake, my best advice would be to start. I resisted this for a long time because I loath tracking anything. But once I started, the results were pretty eye opening. I found I could make adjustments to my foods - eat more fish instead of red meat all the time, ditch completely nuts .. etc to finally get the scale moving downward again.

Calories do matter. I think listening to your body is really smart too... but if like me, you have overeaten as a rule for the majority of your life, your body may need some re-education on what just eating what you need really means.
    You are correct. I have looked at how much I have eaten. I think the trick is to not get so hungry, where I want to eat 3 pieces of chicken, etc. I try to eat more often, and I did this at work, a few nuts, or berries, here or there. I try to make my meals centered around vegetables, but I do eat meat.

I will watch the calories and see how much I am eating!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you're meant to be the shape, size and weight that you are? Maybe ... just maybe, the modern interpretation of "fit and healthy" is miles off? If you eat well, engage in sound activity, keep stress-free and sleep well, accept the shape that you are.

Do your thing. Ride your own wave. You already are! Carry on enjoying it, and not to sound crude, but "ffff the rest of them".

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    you're eating clean and primal and although your diet previously was good by cw standards, it was years of eating grains and crap seed oils and such. that damage can take a long time to fix. so can the metabolic derangement of upsetting your circadian rhythms with night or shift work. i have worked nights for decades and it is wreaking havoc with me, so i feel your pain.

don't worry about other people eating pizza and soda. their health will manifest the results of this sooner rather than later. just worry about yourself.

i was unemployed 6 months in 2009 and finally took a job i basically hate to pay the bills. i have been looking for a new one since march. it's a tough slog. allow yourself a certain number of hours per day to job search -- say 2 hours after breakfast. then go do something, even if it's a 5-hour walk someplace. you have plenty of free time, ya know? don't sit home fretting, get active. try thinking outside the box for income possibilities too.
    You make some good points, and you understand what I am going through.

I remember when I had my kids and wanted to lose weight, long ago. I'd try Weight Watchers, and they'd push low-fat, high-carb. You could have 4 pieces of "diet bread" per day, or two pieces of regular bread. OMG. I'd eat that stuff at breakfast and be hungry all day. But my body could handle all of that better back then, and I eventually lost weight.

I definitely am thinking outside the box for jobs. I'd rather have two part time jobs. I realized I can't handle the stress anymore with certain jobs. Without boring you of my past, I know my body just can't take the racheted up stress levels anymore. I am not a person who goes into work and plays the high roller politics. I am more of a direct person with all of this and I get steam-rolled over, even though I am a good worker.

I just have this sensitive body. I am creative too, and I've seen this with creative people, this sensitivity. I think I took the stress for years and years, and now, my body says enough.

Yes, this online job hunting is very tedious. Everyone wants a big application now, instead of just shooting over your resume. That's how they select. I am going to limit my time searching.

For awhile, I haven't slept well and am going to change the whole routine and try to get to bed earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Maybe you're meant to be the shape, size and weight that you are? Maybe ... just maybe, the modern interpretation of "fit and healthy" is miles off? If you eat well, engage in sound activity, keep stress-free and sleep well, accept the shape that you are.

Do your thing. Ride your own wave. You already are! Carry on enjoying it, and not to sound crude, but "ffff the rest of them".

Aw...you're sweet, but I don't think how I am is healthy. I was not this heavy years ago. And my weight is midsection and abdominal. Definitely not good.
    It is depressing to look like this. It isn't desirable but I do agree with your free spirit and not caring what others think.

This is definitely about how I think, and I am very uncomfortable like this.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    For awhile, I haven't slept well and am going to change the whole routine and try to get to bed earlier...
    for MANY years, i'd stay up til 4,5,6 in the morning after getting home from work and often wouldn't go to bed til first light. i'd sleep til noon and the whole day would basically be wasted.

about 7-8 years ago i finally wrapped my head around the fact this was a terrible pattern and now most days i am up by 7, which makes it easier to fall asleep earlier on nights i have that window. it also gives me lots of daylight hours to be a productive member of society and do stuff besides just showing up at work.

you really need to train yourself though and it takes some time and being tired and cranky at first.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hmmm ... have you tried doing exactly the opposite of what you're doing? Rest a whole week. No gym, then go just walking. Eat carbier meals, try protein restriction, but keep the fat up. Skip a random meal each day, randomly - pick something outside of your control like if it's raining, don't eat. Gorge like a pig at your next meal.

Messing up the human frame seems to do big things for pushing through plateaus.

I'm nothing like those gym honed six pack guys you see in the before/after threads, but I bet anything I own that I could pace up a hillside more than 45 degrees in a hop and way faster than any of them. I could out-pace them over 20 miles of rough ground; heck, I've even caught a rabbit bare handed and bare footed! I bet I could move an irregular object three or four times my body weight (six to seven times theirs) several hundred yards easier than they could. I have a bit of blur around the middle, but I'm happy with it. My arms, legs and neck might fool you into thinking the rest of me was like that, given my stature.

Best of luck ... shake it up, push towards what you want, but be happy with the groove you drop into. Health, objective health, is not about being skinny and body perfect. Proper health is about longevity and disease resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    for MANY years, i'd stay up til 4,5,6 in the morning after getting home from work and often wouldn't go to bed til first light. i'd sleep til noon and the whole day would basically be wasted.

about 7-8 years ago i finally wrapped my head around the fact this was a terrible pattern and now most days i am up by 7, which makes it easier to fall asleep earlier on nights i have that window. it also gives me lots of daylight hours to be a productive member of society and do stuff besides just showing up at work.

you really need to train yourself though and it takes some time and being tired and cranky at first.
    I worked nights and weekends before, they had me on 55, 60 or more hours per week. It was not a choice. I said NO to working both days and nights, I could not do that...and I got a lot of flack for it.

A lot of the jobs I had, got me up at 4 or 5am. I really hate that, because it interferes with my REM sleep. I would find at night I would be ready to sleep at 6 or 7pm when I got home, and if I kept myself awake, I'd be wired and awake at 10pm and not able to sleep. The more I realized I only had X hours to sleep, the more I could not sleep. Sometimes, I'd fall asleep at 2am. I lived in a sleep deficit. Too tired to exercise when I came home from getting up so early (very long drive to work), and then lack of sleep. No wonder I am like I am.

I am going to try to get in a routine of getting up at 5 or 6am. You are right, one has to train themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Hmmm ... have you tried doing exactly the opposite of what you're doing? Rest a whole week. No gym, then go just walking. Eat carbier meals, try protein restriction, but keep the fat up. Skip a random meal each day, randomly - pick something outside of your control like if it's raining, don't eat. Gorge like a pig at your next meal.

Messing up the human frame seems to do big things for pushing through plateaus.

I'm nothing like those gym honed six pack guys you see in the before/after threads, but I bet anything I own that I could pace up a hillside more than 45 degrees in a hop and way faster than any of them. I could out-pace them over 20 miles of rough ground; heck, I've even caught a rabbit bare handed and bare footed! I bet I could move an irregular object three or four times my body weight (six to seven times theirs) several hundred yards easier than they could. I have a bit of blur around the middle, but I'm happy with it. My arms, legs and neck might fool you into thinking the rest of me was like that, given my stature.

Best of luck ... shake it up, push towards what you want, but be happy with the groove you drop into. Health, objective health, is not about being skinny and body perfect. Proper health is about longevity and disease resistance.

When you say, "have you tried doing exactly the opposite of what you're doing?"...this is exactly what has been going through my mind lately. How whatever I've been doing--isn't working. You have a lot of good points. But I doubt any man would look at me right now and see a desirable person. I doubt any health-conscious person would find my stomach healthy. I am uncomfortable like this, and it is motivation.

I've tried just letting it all "hang loose", but I think the stress gets in the way. I don't want to eat a lot of carbs, it spikes my blood sugar. I am a very mild diabetic, my AICs are very low, last one was 5.8. My doc thought I wasn't even a diabetic, but I said, "it's how I eat...nothing refined". My blood sugar, fasting or postprandial is very low.

But I really like what you have to say. You sound very healthy and even more, content. That whole concept of being content is something I need to deal with. I don't like the cards on the table in my life. I have often felt very much like an unworthy human being, and have had demeaning coworkers and bosses that pushed that home. I know I shouldn't believe what other say or do, but in the end, I have very little in life, and I don't do well with just saying the heck with it. I think people who are doing well have better lives. I am always struggling, either when I am working, or out of a job. It's never let up in the past 15 years. Yes, I want to find something, anything with stability, but that's rather hard to find out there. When one walks out of their profession due to the stress, one is really swimming upstream. Money means little to me, it is a tool to survive. If I had enough money, I could buy myself the existence that is stress-free. So having a good amount of money is a good thing, depending on the value assigned to it.

I really love what you wrote. You're a person with a mind, and I notice the free-thinkers on this forum.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You know what? I bet there's a stack of people who think you're beautiful the way you are.

If you want to "be" somewhere else, you can be ... that is the power of self-motiation that comes about from a confidence that you are doing the right thing. You are! I think you might be a little too stressed about it and not enjoying the ride, hoping for the end.

I don't want to sound all zen about this, but I've been pointed at before for doing this ... the slow route is the permanent route; it's also the most scenic. You could get down to ideal weight in 6 months doing whatever it is necessary to do that, or you could genuinely understand yourself, your activity, your expenditure of physical and emotional energy and feel that accordingly, narrowing and understanding the bands until you drop into your groove.

So, you've thought about it ... you have goals ... go and score them! Do the direct opposite, occasionally, fast, hike several miles, even tens of miles fasted, walk, don't run, walk fast, walk uphill, walk controlled downhill, find the shortest way up and down, find the longest way around. Don't look for rewards at the end, seek the journey as its own reward. Shit, there I go again, getting all zen about it.

You follow ...

Whatever you did to get here, do the opposite, then do the same again. Don't eat crap, don't drink poison and don't poison your life through work stress.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast