Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studies that undeniably show high cal/high fat diet leads to weight loss? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Studies that undeniably show high cal/high fat diet leads to weight loss?

especially those who do little in the way of exercise and eat above and beyond their "maintenance" calories limit.

are their any?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    huh?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you quite get the idea of how a high fat diet works in terms of health and weight loss if your asking this. Maybe you should ask that instead.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I don't think you quite get the idea of how a high fat diet works in terms of health and weight loss if your asking this. Maybe you should ask that instead.
    No I'm for studies that possibly show that on a high fat diet someone eating well above their maintenance lost weight. Because I'm of the view that calories absolutely must be kept in check.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I think it varies for everyone. Initially, I was able to eat all the primal food I wanted and lost weight slowly the first month. I think once my body realized I was planning to continue to eat this way, I stopped losing. Once I started logging, and realized I was at about 2000 calories I started cutting back. Now I'm back to slowly losing at about 1500 calories. I only want to either weigh or look like I weigh 125, so only need to lose 6 more lbs. I am sure a heavier person might be able to do the all he/she wants for longer, but ultimately will need to monitor calories in order to reach the goal... Not exactly scientific, but an ongoing experiment...
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

gmatt is offline Member
    Why do you think anyone eating above maintenance could lose weight?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    The question is a tautology. The definition of weight loss or weight gain (once water weight has been factored out) is an energy deficit or surplus. The argument that keeps coming back around is whether the type of calories in affects the quantity of calories out. Not whether eating a lot of butter allows one to defy the laws of thermodynamics.

In other words, the argument you're looking for proof of doesn't exist, and is nothing but a great example of the term "straw man."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Do you think everybody here thinks they can binge on fat and lose weight? Do you think this is what Mark says in his book? If so you are wrong. You should read more about paleo nutrition and get a better grasp on what it is and why it works.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gmatt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The question is a tautology....
    In other words, the argument you're looking for proof of doesn't exist, and is nothing but a great example of the term "straw man."
    Indeed.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well... I doubt you will find a study that shows that. I think people get this idea that primal allows them to eat what they want and lose weight, because initially this can happen. But often what's happening is that people aren't eating as many calories as they think they are. They're just feeling more satisfied with the food they're eating, so it may feel as if they're eating more (if that makes sense).

I had to try to explain to someone last night that I can't eat wheat products because they make me crave more wheat products, even when I'm not actually hungry. She was of the belief that I should use more self control... my point is that eating primal I don't NEED to use self control ALL THE FREAKIN TIME to avoid over eating. I just eat a meal with enough healthy fats, and voila I'm satisfied for hours!

The thing being, I never thought I was eating THAT much before I went primal. It was only after eating pizza the other week, that I realised I probably DID binge more when I didn't need to, because of the desire to eat after eating something that by rights, should have filled me.

So yeah, not sure how much sense I'm making . Obviously if you're eating primal and not losing weight (that you need to), or you're gaining weight (that you DON'T need to) you need to take the energy content of your food into consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast