Thread: My Aussie HDL primal blood made my doctor gasp... page

The Superwag is offline Junior Member

Red face My Aussie HDL primal blood made my doctor gasp...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all, just wanted to share my first bloodwork results since going Primal in February this year. Interested in your thoughts and wish you could have seen the look on my doc's face when she read them back to me.

I am so lean and young, but packed with HDL cholesterol and buckets of the stuff overall.

In Australia, had my bloods done last week. Doctor just couldn’t get over my results. I went in loaded up with Robb Wolf’s category numbers and got the mmol/L instead of US mg/L instead. I am 24, female, 5’7ish, 50kg (BMI 18.5). Always been lean and athletic. Primal since Feb 2012. I eat a range of fat, meats, seafood, eggs, organs/game and green veggies. LOVE herbs and spices! Can out-eat everyone on lamb ribs. More than happy to share more specific eating menus. My cholesterol puzzled my doc...

Total cholesterol: 8.6 mmol/L (3.5-5.4)
    HDL: 2.7 mmol/L (>1.0 desirable)
    Cholesterol/HDL-C Ratio: 3.2 (<4.5)
    Trigs: 0.8 (<2.0)
    LDL: 5.5 (2.1 - 4.0)
    VLDL: 0.4 (0.1 -0.9)
    Bloodtype: B+
    Iron, thyroid, sodium, sugar, Vit D, Iodine, fasting glucose all perfect.

Doc looked at the size of me and the amount of cholesterol I produce and just laughs in confusion. LDL is above recommended average, but with normal Trigs, low VLDL and outstanding HDL, I’m convinced I mut be Pattern A LDL puffy. I asked her if the bloodwork recorded particle size of the LDL and she had no idea what I was getting at.

Paleo for life. I have never felt this good: I ‘speak’ so much more coherent and have tonnes of energy. Cellulite has gone too.. Even when I was this weight and playing netball 6 times a week back in high school I had cellulite. Cutting sugar, carbs, grains and gluten out… It just works. I am lucky my B+ blood lets me tolerate dairy. I love cheese and raw cream!

Does anyone think I should be worried about those bloods though? I am being retested for ‘lower LDL’ results in 3 months…. Other than that, doc isn't worried because HDL is crazy high. Told me to cut back on bacon an et more fish and this should help... But not knowing anything about LDL particle testing it did make me a bit anxious.

Thank you everyone for all yours posts and insight. I have been lurking for months and learnt so much from you all. If you ever come to Australia, make sure you try some kangaroo!

Read more: Why Did My Cholesterol Go Up After Going Primal? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    I would never get concerned over ONE test. Test a few times and see what the average or trend is. And ask ahead of time for the particle size, etc. Also, since CW seems to be lagging so far behind science when it comes to cholesterol, I would gather up the information you trust to analyze any of your numbers, rather than relying on a doctor, unless you really trust that they know their stuff. Take half an hour and really figure out what your numbers mean for YOU, rather than just if each individual number is above or below that the chart says is good.
    Last edited by Sabine; 09-29-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: how hard is it to spell 'you' anyways?

Thanks Sabine, will definitely get particle size tested next time!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Great numbers. Forget the LDL number as it is calculated. There is no test for particle size available here so you just have to rely on your outstanding HDL and trigs

You sound like my ideal eating partner!
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Now I understand why doc didn't know what a particle test was lol. Thanks for your advice, it helps me block out the 'what if' thoughts.

I am also in Sydney peril! If you ever go to Sauce at Coogee, order the lamb shanks without the BBQ sauce they usually slap on top of it when serving. Such lovely lamb shanks.

A&S Select Meats at Mascot, Pino's Dolce Vita at Kogarah and Hawkin's Butcher at Maroubra have good quality meat too if you are on the South side and after the grass-fed guarantee.

Have you found any other good Sydney produce spots?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Am on the Northern Beaches. Not so much focussed on grass-fed meat as most of what we just is pretty good anyhow but do get it from Aldi
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine