Thread: Not Exactly Nutrition But I Need Your Help - Cannabis / Gambling Addictions page

joshua888 is offline Junior Member

Not Exactly Nutrition But I Need Your Help - Cannabis / Gambling Addictions

Shop Now
    Hi there.

I am 20 years old and although I am primal and athletic I have 2 major downflaws.

I have been addicted to cannabis - having it every night - for 3 years now, and have throughout most of that time also been a gambling addict.

Right now I am trying to give up both, gambling will be easier than the cannabis. I have already replaced gambling with my dream to become a cricketer and have been practicing 6 hours per day, but to give up smoking seems impossible.

I told my partner this morning I wouldnt be smoking tonight and it already seems unrealistic. It is like life has a massive void without cannabis. I dont have a lot else in my life to keep me going at the moment, I cant play many sports as I would like to start cricket properly but it is winter now in England and no cricket is played.

I am thinking about going to get some cannabis now, its like there are not enough reasons to stop but i still feel like i should? I cant see how stopping will actually help me in any way... because I already have enough motivation... maybe I just feel the need to quit cannabis as I relate it to feelings of guilt of money I have lost whilst gambling?

I am so addicted to cannabis I can find a positive for it in any light - what should I do - should i quit gambling first and then see? ( already gamble free for a week now ) or what? I need people with past experiences to help me.

Thanks

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua888 View Post
    Hi there.

I am 20 years old and although I am primal and athletic I have 2 major downflaws.

I have been addicted to cannabis - having it every night - for 3 years now, and have throughout most of that time also been a gambling addict.
    Nutrition does seem to be a factor.

For addictions, I would suggest Julia Ross's books The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure.

The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings,Weight Gain,and Mood Swings--Naturally: Julia Ross: 9780143120858: Amazon.com: Books

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today: Julia Ross: 9780142003640: Amazon.com: Books

Addictions, and this can relate to addictive behaviours as well as substances, seem at root to be attempts to self-medicate. There are various neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the brain). If there are deficiencies of one or more of these you won't feel quite right. What people discover is that they suddenly do feel better -- temporarily -- when they take, or do, such-and-such. And this is because a neurotranmsmitter is getting artifically pushed by what they're doing.

The way out of this seems to be to ensure that there are always adequate supplies of all the neurotransmitters. A good diet will help. Temporarily, you can take amino-acids (the building blocks of protein) that are precursors to whichever one or ones you're low in.

There are tests and quizzes that will show you that. Have a look at Julia's books, and also at her sites online. Best of all would be to find someone who knows about this stuff to work with.

Also you might make your way over to Sean Croxton's "Underground Wellness" site. He has at least one podcast interview with her and also a couple with Dr. Dan Kalish, who does something similar.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Hey Joshua, I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't feel like I need to kick my cannabis habit. For me, it's an anti-depressant. Sounds like it serves the same purpose for you. Some U.S. states have legalized medical marijuana, and if you go to a doctor and tell him you're depressed and life feels like a void, boom, he'll prescribe you marijuana. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The way I see it, addiction is the nature of the world. I'm "addicted" to cannabis in the same way I'm addicted to apples, eggs, sweet potatoes, etc. : I want to have them every day. If I can't, I'll survive, but I won't be as happy as I would be if I could get them.

The only danger about marijuana is the smoking aspect, but as an experienced smoker, I have found there are different ways to inhale... taking deep huffs hurts my lungs, but inhaling the smoke slowly, as if I'm just taking a regular breath, doesn't irritate my lungs at all.

The "primal" way of life means doing what feels right to you. Grok would never go off his garden-grown antidepressants just because society frowned upon them, right? In a few years I think more people will discover the mood-boosting powers of cannabis, and it'll stop being classed as a "dangerous, bad drug" and be seen for the herb it is. It'll be seen more like cinnamon and nutmeg, people everywhere will be baking with it... well, I can dream, right?

I'd say focus on quitting gambling. Think of all the money you'll save! And remember the chances of winning aren't very good; you're better off investing your money, or using it to buy delicious food, new clothes, a musical instrument, cricket gear, whatever suits you. Best of luck!

The most important thing in this life is having a good attitude and staying positive. If cannabis helps you do that, it's serving a positive, healthy purpose in your primal life. My two cents.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 09-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    I can relate to the cannabis as well..I cut back an extreme amount and only smoke at night now, was smoking day and night very heavily..Im 21 and have smoked since I was 16 in high school. Now I go through my days being active and then come home at night to my addiction and enjoy it greatly. however; I have quit before for a few months and the mind set it gave me was amazing. I want to try and quit by the end of this weekend and get my mental state in life back to normal. My state of mind on cannabis is still in great function however it sometimes leads me to carb cravings and I give in sometimes late at night..Its all about personal goals I feel..If your doing great smoking and have no need to quit then keep on tokin..but if you want to try and better your self in having a more controlled mental state and not face long term effects of cannabis then id say try to quit?

Maybe quit with me this weekend???
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I recently quit, had to stop because had basically really put a hurtin on my lungs. I got sick and the recovery has hard. Eating clean helped a lot though. I miss it, but if I went back I would do coconut oil extract or tincture. I abused it everyday from the time I was 14, lived the last few years of my life stoned
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444