Thread: Is it normal having an upset stomach in 1st few weeks of primal? page

rebacakes is offline Junior Member

Is it normal having an upset stomach in 1st few weeks of primal?

Shop Now
    I am on my 10th day of eating primal and am getting an upset stomach and headaches. Is this normal? Is there something I can do?

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    yes indeed.... 100% normal. It usually clears after 2 -3 days. I don't get it, but many do. In my case, I get to spend an hour a day in the bathroom "flushing" my meals away.

I don't know of any "cure", other than time. But for sure, it goes away, and it is quite common.

Good luck!
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Thanks Primal Papa for the feedback. I do notice my bathroom visits are more often with my water consumption and vegetable intake but it's a good thing!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Withdrawal.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebacakes View Post
    I am on my 10th day of eating primal and am getting an upset stomach and headaches. Is this normal? Is there something I can do?
    Some people seem to. It could mean something like your gut microbiome adjusting; or some of it could be related to electrolyte imbalances. Then again your food selections might be a factor -- many people assume Primal would mean an awful lot of lean meat, and that might cause problems, particularly if you're not used to it.

If you have kept and want to post a few days of a food log that would enable us to see what you're eating -- because Primal might mean different things to different people.

Besides that, I'd suggest having a look at what Dr. Eades says about hydration and electrolytes here:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Headaches can certainly be related to that.

I think at any sign of an upset stomach at any time I would take a good probiotic, so you might consider that. I would get one that has a large number of live organisms in it, preferably one that comes from a store than has a good turnover and keeps them in the fridge.

You could also consider digestive enzymes temporarily.

If you've the time and don't mind kitchen work, homemade gelatinous stock is very soothing to the stomach and helps with protein digestion. There are walk-through recipes available online -- you could, for example, go to the WAPF site and search under "bone broth". Or there may be something current on the Recipes discussion board here.

adkatsim is offline Junior Member
    Yes, I had an upset stomach for a while, and I was only eating small amounts of homemade bread before that. Sometimes, it seemed like everything I ate made my stomach hurt, but I felt so much lighter and more energized overall that I stuck it through. It probably took me 3-4 weeks to stop having stomachaches, and they truly did stop altogether at that point.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to try to change up my diet a bit and have probiotics on hand. Loving this forum.