Thread: First time cooking Liver! page

RobbyJ is offline Member

First time cooking Liver!

Shop Now
    I have had a few pounds of liver sitting in the freezer since I bought my 1/4 cow in spring. I re-stock on beef in about a month, but in the mean time it's all I have left! Here's what I did:

1lb Liver, sliced 1/3 inch
    1/2 sweet onion (Walla Walla), chopped
    Half small glass Whisky
    Pepper
    Coconut Oil (extra virgin, strong flavor!)

Melted oil in pan
    Chopped onion and cooked on low/med for 10 minutes with the lid on
    Turned up heat to med/high to caramelize, took the lid off.. 5m stirring often
    De-glazed with Crown Royal

Pushed that off to the side of the pan
    Browned liver on one side, then the other, same pan
    Mixed liver with onions and fresh cracked pepper
    Replaced lid, let simmer on med/low until cooked through.
    left with well colored onions, tender liver, and a little sauce from having the lid on while cooking.

D E L I C I O U S !!
    The whole thing is slightly sweet to my no-sugar-allowed-primal-tongue, and has a great sassy flavor from the whiskey.

I also cooked up an old staple of mine, acorn squash halved & de-seeded, placed face down on a deep oven pan with about 1/4 inch of water, 350 F for about an hour then spooned out and mixed with a few raisins for treat.

The liver has been a side dish to every meal since I made it! I'm always amazed how a few simple ingredients can make something so great. The best part for me is I only had to wash the pan, knife, and cutting board (scooping spoon re-used as a utensil).

Any favorite Liver recipes? The next wrap of liver will be thawing this weekend.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    No recipes, but my N=1,
    liver is best cooked med rare or less as the flavor get stronger the more you cook it.

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Before my grandfather passed away I would eat liver. I would eat anything he did really. Can you imagine a little 5 year old girl eat up some liver?! I wonder if anyone would know if I made liver one night? I cook for my in laws and they don't like much.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Katherine View Post
    Before my grandfather passed away I would eat liver. I would eat anything he did really. Can you imagine a little 5 year old girl eat up some liver?! I wonder if anyone would know if I made liver one night? I cook for my in laws and they don't like much.
    Try cooking it really thin and covering it with something aromatic. The biggest thing I noticed is that liver smells terrible, but the taste is actually pretty much like other beef. I think my next recipe will be something where I cut it wafer thin (like beef in Pho, or at the local Mongolian Grill), and mix it up with some stir-fry veggies and a little gluten free soy sauce. I can't imagine it being bad, or even really recognizing it as Liver.