Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even if it is primal, wouldn't this be bad? page

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member

Even if it is primal, wouldn't this be bad?

Got a buddy of mine who told me that he eats primal. Cool, I thought, until he told me that he eats a 27 ounce steak 2x a week..... Now, I know this guy, and he's not an athlete... probably needs to lose 50 pounds. He is strong as an ox, though.

Again, I am new, and just getting to know what primal is all about, but that seems a bit much, wouldn't you say? Also, again, WTH do I know anyway? It might be awesome, LOL.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I'm not following you, whats the concern?

Well, quite obviously, IMO, the caloric intake when needing to lose weight. I personally believe that you can't eat as many calories as you like. Apparently you do.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on goals?

If you hear him whining that "primal doesn't work" because he's not losing weight... I'd suggest he cut back on the steak portions maybe.

But... if its working for him. *shrug*

Some people eat big one day, little the next and sort of rotate... or work out their caloric goals another way other than strict "daily" measuring... like a weekly average.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Depends on goals?

If you hear him whining that "primal doesn't work" because he's not losing weight... I'd suggest he cut back on the steak portions maybe.

Some people eat big one day, little the next and sort of rotate...
    or work out their caloric goals another way other than strict "daily" measuring... like a weekly average.
    Well, you made that assumption. I didn't want to type out a huge post, but he isn't like that.... and he didn't say he was losing weight, tho he made a big deal about his blood work being better.

Again, I admit I don't know much yet, but I do know this guy, and I bet he is chowing down 5000 calories a day, every day.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Depends on goals?
    Some people eat big one day, little the next and sort of rotate... or work out their caloric goals another way other than strict "daily" measuring... like a weekly average.
    Agreed. Being or practicing Primal is different things to different people. For some it's a way to lose weight, for others it's a freeing, self-confident way of eating & living that is backed not only by science, & anthropology, but by 100s of thousands of people world-wide who are livin' la vida primal/paleo. Let them/him eat steak & enjoy it! Even portly Julia Childs lived well into her 90s, & she enjoyed every bite of buttery goodness & loads & loads of steak too!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    Well, you made that assumption. I didn't want to type out a huge post, but he isn't like that.... and he didn't say he was losing weight, tho he made a big deal about his blood work being better.

Again, I admit I don't know much yet, but I do know this guy, and I bet he is chowing down 5000 calories a day, every day.
    No, I'm sorry... I was not making an assumption that he IS doing that.
    I just stated that that is how some people do it.
    Some people do it on purpose... by counting calories.

Others do naturally it because they follow their bodys appetite signals...and count nothing.

There are people here who tend to sort of naturally follow their appetite and end up maintaining their weight, or even losing significant weight, in spite of eating seemingly HUGE fatty meals like you posted with those "27oz steaks" on a pretty regular basis.
    For instance though he plans and enjoys those huge steaks he may unconsciously eat less calories the following days though the volume of food is still pretty large by making less calorically dense choices...

If he is not gaining weight I'd bet that it indeed the case.
    If he is gaining weight... well, that's his issue isn't it?

If he is happy... Read what Betorq said again.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    My perspective on Primal continues to evolve. Eating less seems to be more important to me now from an overall feeling of well being. A year ago .. this didn't seem that relevant to me, even though I needed to lose weight, even though it was definitively something that Mark embraces. I think there are a lot of aspects to Primal that you may not appreciate in the early phases, but as you continue down the journey, can add to your overall health, well being and .. well.. hotness.

I considered myself primal then. I consider myself primal now.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's freeing and it's awesome

maybe he's more focused on having a happy mouth and stomach rather than weight loss
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it is really freeing. i ate chocolate wednesday night, LOTS of it, & some wheat flour chocolate muffins too. I had just fasted for 48 hours & broke it with a healthy, fatty organic meal of guac, spicy fermented salsa, bratwursts, big ol arugula salad. it was my last night volunteering for the drunks & addicts I prep & cook for & serve them food & drinks at the church next to where i've been living. for 10 weeks, i never even wanted to taste those sugar bombs. but i said fuck it, & i dove in. And the next morning, my scale hadn't budged by even a tenth of a lb! Hahaha!! Autophagy & ketosis rocks!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast