Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something in my coffee page

Heatherly is offline Junior Member

Something in my coffee

Primal Fuel
    I am one week into my journey. I am dairy free but need an option for my coffee. I like it latte style, so about 1/4 cup x 2 cups of coffee a day. I generally warm my milk.

I am reading that heating almond milk is not a good idea. I really don't like coconut milk except for cooking.

What to do? My husbands smart answer was just drink the espresso and stop being a whimp.

Thanks, Heatherly

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    haha, I know it doesn't help, but I agree with your husband.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Are you okay with ghee and butter? If so, get thee to the Bulletproof Coffee thread.
    Warning: major calorie bomb, so if you have weight to lose it's not much good.

Otherwise I don't know what to use. Has anyone tried whey powder???
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

obsessed is offline Member
    I use a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream for the minimal carbs...

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    It depends why you are going dairy free! If you're really committed to keeping dairy out of your coffee, then maybe you will have to learn to like it black (blech!). Me, I will have dairy in coffee (lately been drinking BPCs)... and I'm not opposed to heavy cream either.

To be honest, though, when I first quit sugar I quit coffee too... I hated it without sugar, and it was just easier to give it up altogether! I've only recently gone back to coffee, in the bulletproof format!

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    I find dairy to be a crutch for me - drink a glass of milk, grab some cheese, a quick scoop of yogurt. I find it is my go to item and know that it needs to become a much smaller part of my diet. I don't think I will quit it for good but I wanted to try for 30 days.

I am OK with using the almond milk but I was reading about the O6 levels when you heat almond meal. Blah, blah - something or other and I warm my almond milk.

And I do need to lose weight. 4 lbs already this week.

Heth is offline Member
    If you look at the nutritional breakdown for almond milk, there is negligible O6. I'm not sure which brand you use but for example: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Almond milk, Blue Diamond Unsweetened
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    You could try using a mix of ghee and coconut oil, but why not just get used to black
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk/cream and almond are the only two viable primal options I am aware of, so if they are out, it's back to dairy or go black.

redskater is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I put one tbls. of coconut oil in my coffee. I blend with some cinnamon in my Bullet blender and it tastes very rich, like a latte. Give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast