Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Actual exchange with my roommate... page 4

Moll is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    Lol... yeah I know a few people like that... not necessarily because they subscribe to CW, most people, including some intelligent ones do. But your roomie just sounds like a tool. Maybe you should take him camping and hope for bears
    Hahahahahaha

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    Lol... yeah I know a few people like that... not necessarily because they subscribe to CW, most people, including some intelligent ones do. But your roomie just sounds like a tool. Maybe you should take him camping and hope for bears
    Yeah. he doesn't question ANYTHING that he's told, unless he's been told something else first, in which case he doesn't so much question it as reject it.

This guy would have soaked UP the primal lifestyle if he'd heard about it BEFORE the CW stuff, but as it is, it's FAR too late and there's literally NO chance he'll EVER pick up on it.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yeah. he doesn't question ANYTHING that he's told, unless he's been told something else first, in which case he doesn't so much question it as reject it.

This guy would have soaked UP the primal lifestyle if he'd heard about it BEFORE the CW stuff, but as it is, it's FAR too late and there's literally NO chance he'll EVER pick up on it.
    That's too bad, pretty common though unfortunately.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    While I don't miss the packaged stuff, my husband's homemade mac and cheese is one of the things I miss being Primal. The trick is not to cook the noodles in water all the way, the baking process will do it. He made his with leeks, manchego cheese and kielbasa pieces mixed in. Panko bread crumbs and parmesan on top. HEAVEN.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do still make homemade shells and cheese for my kids (18 and 21) about once a month because it's a nostalgic thing for them, but I only eat it maybe every other time myself.

Mine is a pound of large shells, a pound of mild cheddar, 2 Tbsp of butter, 2 Tbsp of flour, and about a 1/2 cup of milk plus salt and pepper.

It's definitely not primal, but it's not Velveeta either.

The Boyfriend like the shells and cheese-like product with the packet that you're supposed to squish up and then squeeze onto the hot pasta. Just kind of creeps me out.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It confounds me with thinking about how stupid he is. I'm wondering how he made it this far in life without some bear just coming down from the mountains and eating him.
    What's really surprising is he has a girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    While I don't miss the packaged stuff, my husband's homemade mac and cheese is one of the things I miss being Primal. The trick is not to cook the noodles in water all the way, the baking process will do it. He made his with leeks, manchego cheese and kielbasa pieces mixed in. Panko bread crumbs and parmesan on top. HEAVEN.
    When I was hiking the Pacific Crest and living on pasta every night I still didn't like ordinary "Kraft dinner" mac and cheese or even the fancier shells with liquid cheese sauce. That shit is nasty. Instead I used alfredo cheese powdered sauce (using the whole packet which serves 4 in about 3/4 cup of water) and chunks of real swiss gruyere cheese. Then it was pretty good.

That stuff they taught us to make in Home Ec when I was a kid was pretty good. It contained lots of eggs, butter and cheese and was baked in the oven. But your recipe sounds really good. I could make that and skip the bread crumbs and substitute a melange of squashes for the noodles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

Wait, what?! CW...

Even by CW standards Velveeta shells and 'cheeze' dinner and two ice cream pops is a seriously shitty dinner.
    There is no CW being applied there! It's 100% SAD... so, SO SAD.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Instead I used alfredo cheese powdered sauce (using the whole packet which serves 4 in about 3/4 cup of water) and chunks of real swiss gruyere cheese. Then it was pretty good.

That stuff they taught us to make in Home Ec when I was a kid was pretty good. It contained lots of eggs, butter and cheese and was baked in the oven. But your recipe sounds really good. I could make that and skip the bread crumbs and substitute a melange of squashes for the noodles.
    A good real cheese sauce, with eggs added in, like you'd do a "macaroni bake", but done with vegetables is great.
    In the south there has always been "Squash casserole" which is pretty much what you are referring to, but the same concept (with maybe minor adjustments) works well with lots of other vegetables and is easily converted.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    @June68- Candy In Wonderland has a good cauliflower and cheese substitute recipe for mac and cheese on her journal. I think she posted it about the end of August/beginning of September.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Him: I don't like shrimp, I don't eat eggs because of the cholesterol, and veggies are just... Nasty.
    Me: Well that's good, because I wasn't offering you any.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, I gotta admit. I miss mac and cheese. I made it out of the box, but I would buy the cheap white cheddar kind, not Kraft but a no name brand. The cheese was much sharper and the noodles were pretty stiff, which is how I liked them. Instead of using skim and butter like the box said, I'd use heavy cream and lots of butter. The result was DELICIOUS. Oh man, I'm getting hungry...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234