Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got my blood work back - Good news and Bad news page 3

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    You have already made a drastic reduction in your triglycerides. It takes time to bring them down. There's nothing wrong with you. I think you'll find that if you stick with it, they will continue to trend down until you are at a healthier number.
    I wish I knew if that we're true. I need to listen to the podcast again as there was SO much information. I thought he said that Trigs drop within a few days on a low carb diet.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I wish I knew if that we're true. I need to listen to the podcast again as there was SO much information. I thought he said that Trigs drop within a few days on a low carb diet.
    At 1:26:33, Dayspring says trigs should drop "almost instantly" on a strict low carb diet but he doesn't give a numerical endpoint. He certainly did not say they would drop to 70 which is what he considers ideal. JM was talking about his wife who went from 300 to 130 in 6 wks. I infer that Dayspring was saying she probably went from 300 to 130 almost instantly and they would have seen that if they had measured her on a daily basis.

Annlee is offline Senior Member

Not-so-evil cholesterol

From The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (Phinney and Volek's first book), page 62/Chapter6:
    Because fats do not dissolve in water, they are carried in the bloodstream as triglyceride droplets surrounded by emulsifying molecules like phospholipids, cholesterol, and proteins. These particles are called lipoproteins, and they are subject to much loathing because they contain cholesterol. In reality, these lipoproteins are like trucks loaded with energy traveling about in the bloodstream delivering fuel to cells. All lipoproteins contain cholesterol, and their cholesterol contents may be labeled "bad" or "good" depending on where those lipoproteins are formed and where they tend to end up. It is a simple but underappreciated fact that without cholesterol, there could be no lipoproteins, and we'd be hard pressed for an alternative method to distribute fats and fat soluble nutrients to our cells for structure and energy.

Think about that for a moment, and then think about the drive to lower the cholesterol. Fewer trucks, less transport, less ability to exercise because you're too dang tired ... the effects of statins boggle my mind.

Now consider the file attached here - it's a little older but highly informative. I especially look at the table in the upper right -- I intend to be in the lower right corner, not the upper left.

Attached Files Attached Files

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Oh god yes. I hang around with lots of old men and the brain fog they all have is frightening. And they all think it's totally normal.
    It's quite sad. My dad is more scared of losing his mind than ANYTHING, and yet... he's on statins and is becoming insanely forgetful. I have TOLD him that his statins are contributing to it, but he doesn't seem to want to get off them (I've also told him that they're bloody useless and he doesn't need them).

As for me, I avoid doctors. I guess I never got in the habit of ever going to the doctor, because my mum was one . Most people get dragged off to the doctor when they're sick or have a checkup, so it becomes "normal", but being as how I had a doctor in my family, I was never taken to the doctor (except for immunisations because my mum wouldn't do them!). As a result... I just... don't ever go to a doctor, and take my kids only if there seems to be something wrong that's not going to go away on its own.

I also feel more comfortable having few medical records online!! It's scary these days what doctors can look up about you. I rather keep myself separate from it all... Some people are horrified when they find out I never go to a doctor for a checkup!

In fact, I'm sort of scared that if I did go to a doctor, they'd do tests and find something "wrong" with me (according to their numbers) and write me out a prescription for something! I know I wouldn't take it... but I sort of feel that once you're in the system, you're stuck there and they're going to start coming after you if you don't do what they say!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123