Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got my blood work back - Good news and Bad news page 2

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    I don't think that's naive at all. It's a good goal. If I still had a thyroid gland (removed 5 years ago) and didn't have to get my blood tested all the time, I would never see my doctor.

Has anyone seen those commercials that have been running lately about not doing your doctor's job? Ugh, they make me so angry. It's not your doctor's job to care for your health. It's YOURS.
    I have not seen any commercials like that. Wow. Must be people are finally arming themselves with information and not being railroaded into a life of endless pill bottles. If we shouldn't be giving our doctors any input, then the commercials should all be banned that tell you to "ask your doctor if XYZ medicine is right for you." I've always hated those commercials. I figure if your doctor is worth his fees he'll know what meds you need without you prompting him.

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I'm not sure what happens if I just ignore the paperwork and wait till Spring for the second test.
    Very little. I do that sort of thing all the time. It's important to rememebr that your doctor is hired to be your advisor, not your boss. If s/he gets uppity, it's perfectly fine to fire him or her and find a doctor who thinks like you do. I did it a lot for many years until I *finally* found an excellent doctor who, like me, is more interested in getting to the bottom of the health issues and solving them, rather than endlessly treating them with pills and potions. It's wonderful to work with someone who sees excellent health as a reasonabel goal!
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    I don't think that's naive at all. It's a good goal. If I still had a thyroid gland (removed 5 years ago) and didn't have to get my blood tested all the time, I would never see my doctor.

Has anyone seen those commercials that have been running lately about not doing your doctor's job? Ugh, they make me so angry. It's not your doctor's job to care for your health. It's YOURS.
    Oh great! I can't wait until I see those commercials. I have television rage issues to begin with. I've been known to throw remotes at the wall. It is absolutely ones own job to care for ones own health! I have gone to the same doctor's office for over 15 years and during this time I have, for the most part, seen the same physician (there are three in the practice). In fifteen years my doctor still cannot say my name right or remember anything about me. She calls me "Gina" and thinks I have kids. Wtf...? THIS is who I am supposed to trust my health to? Not anymore lady, not anymore. Oh and another funny thing is that one of my best friends is a pharmacist and she told me, "switch doctors... trust me on this".

I am sorry you had to have your thyroid removed... it sucks to be dependent on a doctor. I am worried about that too since there is a family history of thyroid problems in my case.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I have not seen any commercials like that. Wow. Must be people are finally arming themselves with information and not being railroaded into a life of endless pill bottles. If we shouldn't be giving our doctors any input, then the commercials should all be banned that tell you to "ask your doctor if XYZ medicine is right for you." I've always hated those commercials. I figure if your doctor is worth his fees he'll know what meds you need without you prompting him.
    Yeah I hate those commercials also. Of course my doctor was already to throw the next pill at me every time I went there. At one point I was on 5 prescriptions! The sad part was that I was in my 20's at the time and nothing was wrong with me. I am on ZERO prescriptions now
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    First of all, cholesterol is critical in so many ways to the body. It's the foundation for vitamin D (the innate immune system? hello??), for a cascade of hormones, is heavily found in the brain .... I could go on. I want mine nice and "high" by current CW. Also, with solid respect to Griff for compiling the data, new research has shown some interesting new things. If you are concerned, I strongly recommend going to Peter Attia's blog and reading his 9-part series (part 10 coming one of these days) on cholesterol. It's highly educational.

The straight dope on cholesterol

My $0.02 (US) - watch Alzheimer's explode as the statin crowd ages a little more.
    EVERYONE INTERESTED IN THIS CHOLESTEROL TOPIC, PLEASE CHECKOUT THIS PODCAST WHICH IS ON TONIGHT!!!!

LIVE weekly health radio show on Thursday nights at 7PM Eastern Time!! | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts

29: Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?

Posted on 10/01/2012 by Jimmy Moore • 0 Comments

AIR DATE: October 4, 2012 at 7PM ET
    FEATURED EXPERT: Dr. Thomas Dayspring
    FEATURED TOPIC: “Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?”

This week we’re very excited to bring to you one of the world’s leading lipidologists and experts on just about everything you could ever want to know about cholesterol numbers named Dr. Thomas Dayspring from LecturePad.org. He’s the Director of Cardiovascular Education at the Foundation for Health Improvement and Technology in Richmond, Virginia and is one of the most requested speakers in the United States with expertise on atherothrombosis, lipoprotein and vascular biology, advanced lipoprotein testing and more. Dr. Dayspring has given over 4000 lectures in all 50 states educating medical professionals and the lay public alike.

Many of you first heard him in Episode 585 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show” podcast and afterwards had lots of questions for Dr. Dayspring about cholesterol. That’s why we decided to bring him back on ATLCX to take on the topic “Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?” so you can speak directly with him about your burning questions on your cholesterol concerns. This is a golden opportunity to get clarification on any issues regarding cholesterol testing that concern you.

Annlee, thanks for the link to The Eating Academy and his series on cholesterol. Very detailed, complex, but very informative. I have been wading through this info for the last two days, and then I discovered that one of the four expert doctors that Peter referrenced, is the Doctor Dayspring who is on tonight's podcast. PERFECT TIMING! I submitted a question, but I'm not sure if it will be used on tonight's show.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    I just listened to podcast #585 with Dr Dayspring. I have read and listened to many experts talk about CVD risk markers. Most agree that LDL-P is important but they always seem uncertain about LDL-P size. In this forum, I see many posts wher people say large, fluffy LDL's are benign. Dr Dayspring adamantly, emphatically and unequivocally says LDL size is UNIMPORTANT. He says large, fluffy LDL's are just as dangerous as small, dense LDL's if you have too many of them. I want to learn more about Dr Dayspring but he certainly comes across as very credible. His discussion about trigs being the main culprit, especially in IR people like myself was fascinating.

m051012 is offline Junior Member
    Yes, all of this is Great But do You want to get rid of your Acne?

He did cover my question, which was the one about losing 45 pounds and whether this could impact my cholesterol levels as fats were released from adipocites. He felt that was possible but did sound concerned about my high LDL count and recommended I retest soon using test for APO-B and also NMR.

I was very concerned that he said Triglycerides should be under 100 and actually, really should be 70 or less. Mine is still 122 and I only eat 40-50 grams of carbs per day! What could be wrong with me. I have now done an about face on putting off the second test and will go for the second test but I will insist on at least the APO-B test and probably the NMR also.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    He did cover my question, which was the one about losing 45 pounds and whether this could impact my cholesterol levels as fats were released from adipocites. He felt that was possible but did sound concerned about my high LDL count and recommended I retest soon using test for APO-B and also NMR.

I was very concerned that he said Triglycerides should be under 100 and actually, really should be 70 or less. Mine is still 122 and I only eat 40-50 grams of carbs per day! What could be wrong with me. I have now done an about face on putting off the second test and will go for the second test but I will insist on at least the APO-B test and probably the NMR also.
    You have already made a drastic reduction in your triglycerides. It takes time to bring them down. There's nothing wrong with you. I think you'll find that if you stick with it, they will continue to trend down until you are at a healthier number.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post

My $0.02 (US) - watch Alzheimer's explode as the statin crowd ages a little more.
    Oh god yes. I hang around with lots of old men and the brain fog they all have is frightening. And they all think it's totally normal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast