Thread: I bought a bag of green stevia powder. Why does it taste like grass? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

I bought a bag of green stevia powder. Why does it taste like grass?

Primal Fuel
    I don't use sweeteners very often but sometimes i like to sweeten up certain things so i invested in some green stevia powder. but this stuff tastes like im eating grass right off the ground. Is there some procedure i need to do to make it palatable? I had an 8oz of pure white stevia powder that lasted me almost 2 and half years as just a pinch made things just the right sweetness.

whats the problem here?

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    The white stevia has been processed more.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    green stevia is simply the ground up stevia leaf. it should still be quite sweet but you have all the other components/flavors intact.
    White stevia has been processed to leave only the sweet part.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    so is there a way to make my coffee not taste like weird spinach when using it?

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    so is there a way to make my coffee not taste like weird spinach when using it?
    Maybe try putting it in with the coffee grounds so the sweet part leeches out with the coffee & leaves the bits behind? dont know if it would work but might be worth a try
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Stevia taste like crap (to me). Heck I sweeten so little to none of my food I'd rather just use real sugar or honey when I do it.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I don't use sweeteners very often but sometimes i like to sweeten up certain things so i invested in some green stevia powder. but this stuff tastes like im eating grass right off the ground. Is there some procedure i need to do to make it palatable? I had an 8oz of pure white stevia powder that lasted me almost 2 and half years as just a pinch made things just the right sweetness.

whats the problem here?
    Green stevia is only about 50 times sweeter than sugar. But there is also an alkaloid in the stem that can leave a bitter flavor. The more stem in the product the more bitter the aftertaste.

The refined powders come in different grades depending on the percentage of stevioside present. This can be from less than 80%, which is the cheap crap to 80%, 90%, 95% and 99%. These can run from 300-700 times sweeter than sugar. Retail manufacturers will rarely tell you what grade they use though.

I use the green stevia powder mainly in herbal formulations.

For sweetening my teas I prefer the white extract.