Thread: Bone broth - removal of fat page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Bone broth - removal of fat

Primal Fuel
    I have a great big bag of beef and chicken bones at home and plan to get brothing over the weekend. When I read guides online they seem to all suggest removing the layer of fat that forms on top after chilling.

This goes against how I normally operate, where I'm considering the fat to be the prize possession of the dish almost! Is it necessary to remove the fat? If so, I assume it could be used for cooking with?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

neowild is offline Member
    Partitioning the broth into ice cube trays is easier without the fat. I use a fat separating pitcher that pours from the bottom. I save the fat in a jar for use later for cooking.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I remove the fat from chicken broth(if it is more than just a thin layer) and toss it because I don't particularly care for the taste, but if you like it, it would be great to fry with!

For my beef/pork/lamb bone broth, I just stir the fat back in when I heat the broth, it adds a beautiful, velvety, smoothness.

I think the removal tip is sneaking over from low-fat CW. I am certain our ancestors would LOVE the fat.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    As long as it is indeed good to use, it doesn't bother me a great deal, thanks folks.

Man I love this place.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Mark recommends that you remove and discard the fat from chicken bone broth because of the high Omega-6s from chickens. I don't like the taste of it, either, so I discard it any way.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Mark recommends that you remove and discard the fat from chicken bone broth because of the high Omega-6s from chickens. I don't like the taste of it, either, so I discard it any way.
    This is what I was told & read also, especially when it cooks for so long.
    Oh here it is:

It’s a relatively high-PUFA animal fat, and a day of simmering has probably damaged it beyond repair. If you’re stewing bones with more saturated animal fat, though, you should absolutely save the fat layer.

Read more: Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Another poster made the suggestion, but it is very tasty. When you make bone broth, fry onions in the beef fat and then make onion soup. You still get the fat, but you get tasty onions too. I add some gruyere cheese too.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use it all,
    Normally I do a two stage process, decanting the first stock after the initial boil (2hr's), then smash up the bones even more, add some more water and get a second batch out of them, then recombine the two or three lots.
    I don't discriminate with chicken etc., I've cut enough bad omega 6's out to make that little bit insignificant in my opinion, if it really is damaged at all just by simmering, that would make deepfried chicken in vegetable oil absolutely deadly.