Thread: Article Further Supporting Diet Based on Genetics page

BennettC is offline Senior Member

Article Further Supporting Diet Based on Genetics

Shop Now
    I read this article and feel it's pretty spot on about everything said. It further supports the recent discussion we had about dietary genetics. For me a herdsman diet has been best as I'm from a long line of Irish and Scottish herdsman. Others were also mentioning they felt better with diets closely relating to their genetics.
    If the paleo diet is flawed - what is the healthiest diet?
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i pretty much agree with his seven criticisms of paleo...and i didn't know that paleo made those recommendations (when did this move beyond history books and common sense?). i think that list is a perfect example of the difference between primal and paleo. mark's plan isn't as fearful of things like saturated fat, dairy and nuts.
    i don't think i'll try the metabolic testing or whatever. this works for me, and i think it's going to largely work for most people because of what he pointed out in the first part of that article: whole foods kick ass.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I agree, that's whats so great about it. it gets you away from processed crap. I started on loren Cordains paleo diet, even though the diet was very flawed it changed the way I looked at food forever
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    This is an important point. I actually came today to make a similar one.
    I think it's wrong to formulate some uniform diet based on some concept of some universal ancestor who never existed.
    I have thousands years of recorded history of omnivore diet and I am not convinced that I should become as flat as a vegan (whose ancestor probably never existed) or some extreme paleo (whose ancestor maybe existed somewhere, BUT not in my line). I don't see any reason I shouldn't eat dairy or even some correctly prepared grains.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-28-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article it does support Mark's more Primal view point IMO but some of its Claims of what Paleo said I have never heard ie blunder 5 avoid sat fat?!?
    Again the emphasis is on whole, natural foods, avoiding grains and other processed foods which is always a good thing.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 09-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I'm always a bit suspicious of blogs arguing for something they are selling, that said...

I commented on the other thread that I think is being referenced - I'm about 1/68th Native American while being 1/4 direct Irish and 1/4 direct German (grandparents 100% immigrants) and I find milk to be a non-food item. So Paleo is sorta attractive to me, but Cordains first book was very anti-saturated fats, and I've found out that I'm Jack Sprat's wife (you know, the nursery rhyme) and a slab of roasted beef fat makes me salivate more than a chunk of dark chocolate.

But I'm married to a 100% dutchman, who considers milk to be a perfect thrist-quenching drink. So Mark's approach, do dairy if you can, don't if you can't, rules my fridge. Metabolic typing? Nah, just listen to your body and then do a bit of research.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I think that list should be entitled Cordain Blunders not Paleo Blunders. Lean meat, no salt, no dairy. Not for me.

I agree with Sarah however that metabolic "typing" is not really necessary. Go with what works for you.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I read this article and feel it's pretty spot on about everything said.
    I disagree. The writer picks bits and pieces that support the argument offered and not the broad expanse of what what people ate before grain farming and etc.

Here's a quote >>>The isolated Swiss from the Loetschental Valley thrived on dairy from pasture fed cows and rye bread.<<<
    Did they eat like this before crop farming and animal domestication? Is there any evidence that their lifespan was increased or they didn't have people ill from lactose intolerance?

We can not exactly replicate what our paleolithic ancestors ate but we can get quite close, if we want to and can afford it. Think about it, we evolved to eat a huge variety of meats, bugs, fish, plants, nuts and fruit as they became available in our territory. I suspect it is this variation that adapted us to require a lot of different nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

Stating that we each require an individual diet is just nonsensical when looking at keeping our species going. We are adapted to getting nutrition from what's available, not any specific genus of plants or type of meat. Imagine how long our ancestors would have lasted if they'd said "I can only eat caviar and drink water from the Irrawady."
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    From Paleo Blunder #2:

"Also people who are genuinely allergic or sensitive to dairy should give it a wide birth."

Uh...does he mean 'berth'?