Thread: Does anybody else struggle whilst on holiday? page

Does anybody else struggle whilst on holiday?

Primal Fuel
    During aug/sept I was on holiday in USA for 3 weeks and came back 15 lbs heavier!! Now I am away in Italy, Lake Garda, and I am struggling again! It's like when I get out of my normal routine, my resolve to stay primal melts away! It's not about the actual meals, I never succumb to those nasty old grains or desserts, sticking to meats and salads.....it's the occasional glass of wine.....and the teensy weensy pretty cookies they put on the plate with my coffee! Last night I resisted the wine, but no way could I pass by the Gelato counter whilst walking through the ruins at Sirmione......it just looked so absolutely wonderfully enticing!! I was enticed.....but to be honest it didn't taste as good as it looked, so I only ate half of it! I just know tho that I will go home 5lbs heavier, having regained what I lost after the states, and still 10 lbs heavier than when I first went on holiday!!

Does anybody have any little tips, other than staying in my hotel room for the next 2 days.....even that is dangerous, I ate the peanuts from the mini bar the first day, but I did resist the M&M's!!

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    It is your holiday at the end of the day so thinking about your food whilst on holiday is not fun.

I usually get up each morning and either go for a quick run or a bit of High Intensity exercise first thing without eating to get my metabolism firing and also to feel good for the rest of the day. Nothing worse than feeling lethargic on holiday.

Also maybe chuck in a couple of activity days where you fast whilst doing something?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    As Adam said, "Nothing worse than feeling lethargic on holiday," and I've realized that vacations don't have to involved excess eating. I want to feel my best, so I not only exercise, but I eat primally and moderately. I'll have a glass of wine with dinner (something I don't do at home), and even a (rare) dessert, but I find that I enjoy my fish, meat, veggies and can safely ignore those cookies that may appear with my after-dinner coffee.

Feeling good is the best reward.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    As Adam said, "Nothing worse than feeling lethargic on holiday," and I've realized that vacations don't have to involved excess eating. I want to feel my best, so I not only exercise, but I eat primally and moderately. I'll have a glass of wine with dinner (something I don't do at home), and even a (rare) dessert, but I find that I enjoy my fish, meat, veggies and can safely ignore those cookies that may appear with my after-dinner coffee.

Feeling good is the best reward.
    That's not really an option when your aunt has slaved ALL day to cook enough spaghetti for 25 people (and any extras that show up)!

It would be rude of me to refuse the food I think, and I am not out to offend anyone or cause any ill feelings while I'm on a vacation. I can't just expect people to make a second meal just for me when what they are producing for everyone else does not fit my needs. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and take the hit, even if it's not the optimal choice. And at some point, if you have to do this often enough, exercising just doesn't help (because we all know it's mostly about diet).

But I'm not out to make things extra difficult or unenjoyable for anyone else. Often, it's better not to complain and just make the best of a lose-lose situation.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i may be alone on this one, but i think if you're on vacation/holiday...just enjoy it. i'm not primal when i'm on vacation (mind you, i've only been on, like, two in ten years). i'm not anything but a guy trying to have some fun. even single days like holidays and birthdays, i put the event above primal food. if i'm with family and friends, that's what i'm focused on, even if it means cinnamon buns and pizza. if i'm in a new place, i like to experience it through it's food and drink. regret for eating a brownie goes away quickly. regret for missing an experience never goes away.

that said, if i'm feeling a little sick or run down by the food i'm eating, i adjust. usually i just eat less and walk more by moving from place to place on foot and only sampling food.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    That's not really an option when your aunt has slaved ALL day to cook enough spaghetti for 25 people (and any extras that show up)!

It would be rude of me to refuse the food I think, and I am not out to offend anyone or cause any ill feelings while I'm on a vacation. I can't just expect people to make a second meal just for me when what they are producing for everyone else does not fit my needs. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and take the hit, even if it's not the optimal choice. And at some point, if you have to do this often enough, exercising just doesn't help (because we all know it's mostly about diet).

But I'm not out to make things extra difficult or unenjoyable for anyone else. Often, it's better not to complain and just make the best of a lose-lose situation.
    If someone I loved and cared about spent all day making me a meal, I'd eat it. (unless I was actually allergic.) Life is more than about food and health, it's also about love and joy. I think sometimes we get so caught up in our "lifestyles" we forget how much love can be spread through a great, homemade meal with people who love you and you love back.

For me, I have a simple rule for cheats. "Will this meal make a memory?" If the answer is "yes", then I eat it. I don't gorge myself, but I enjoy the meal. If I will remember the meal for years and years, then to me it's worth it. So if I go to Alinea when I'm in Chicago, I'm not going to worry for one second about what I'm eating, because I know I'm going to remember that meal until I die.