Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugh, Being Nice Feels Crappy page 2

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    What if every time you ate pasta, you had to slice your arm? As long as you cleaned it and slapped a band-aid on that sucker, it would probably cause you less discomfort than what you did go through. But our friends would be aghast! "You mean you have to BLEED to eat my pasta!?!" What happens to us is less visible, but no less (and maybe more) damaging. It just isn't acceptable to talk about it, or even try to avoid it, according to some people.
    +1

I feel so crappy after eating crap food, so when people expect me to eat crap food at their place, I just say, "I don't eat that because it makes me feel really horrible afterwards." It's a true statement and they understand. They don't keep pushing for me to eat it. Don't have to have celiac disease or be allergic to foods for this to work.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    It's so frustrating that a vegetarian can pull the vegetarian card, or a vegan the vegan card and nobody will think twice about them not eating a certain dish, but there is nothing somebody on a paleo diet can say to not eat something and it not be considered rude or strange.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would have eaten the manicotti and brussels sprouts and skipped the dessert and garlic bread. The small little piece of crepe (or is manicotti in the tubular pasta shell?) is not a huge issue. Plus you can leave some or all of the crepe/pasta shell on your plate. If anybody asks you just say you aren't very hungry or ate too much at lunch or something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    It's so frustrating that a vegetarian can pull the vegetarian card, or a vegan the vegan card and nobody will think twice about them not eating a certain dish, but there is nothing somebody on a paleo diet can say to not eat something and it not be considered rude or strange.
    Yeah, that is weird. People were more understanding when I was a vegetarian. Now they seem to think I'm still trying to lose weight or something ("oh, one time won't kill you!").

HilaryJ is offline Junior Member
    I was once in your friend's position ... one of my friends was avoiding all grains, etc (who knows, maybe he read PB) and simply told me he didn't want to eat the pasta. He ate a bunch of salad and was cool about it. So was I. I didn't mind he didn't eat what he did not want to eat.

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    I actually dread going over to my parent's house. My grandma WILL take it personal that I am eating this way.

Oh well.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'll make exceptions for a little bad oil or something like that, but I draw the line at blatant grain products that I don't want. I'll eat around bread or pasta and most people that cook for me give me a meat and vegetables option. I had ribs last night that my girlfriend's father made with bbq sauce cooked on them and they do me the respect of not serving me grains.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    I take it the other way around, I get offended if they force me to eat something. You said "girlfriend". Doesn't she know already that you avoid grains?

mmack66 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
    I take it the other way around, I get offended if they force me to eat something. You said "girlfriend". Doesn't she know already that you avoid grains?
    It was the girlfriend of the friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12