Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please give me some ideas for good carbs to eat page

paul900 Guest

Please give me some ideas for good carbs to eat

Primal Fuel
    I'm looking for good carbs. I want to avoid lectins (wheat/grains/buckwheat/legumes) which i have been eating a lot of. I believe that lectins do interfere with insulins ability to bind to cells.

I think winter squashes are a great carb and they are so far the only good carb I can find.

Taro root can have cyanide in it which can be harmful, if not prepared right.
    Yams and sweet potatoes have relatively high levels of oxalates

I'm looking for a good solid carb that I can eat every day. I'm totally redesigning my diet. I want to have about 100g carbs a day and that means I will have to eat about 1kg of carb foods. So I'm prepared to eat 400g of acorn squash each day (boiled) and I will also eat 500g of chicken breast (about 130g protein). The only thing I am missing is another 600g of a good carb.

Please help as I am having a hard time finding a good one.

My plan is then to create a kind of soup where I put the food in and when I want to eat I take 200g of the carb food mix and 100g of the chicken. This is the way I have eaten for 1 year since i radically changed my diet but I have used brown rice as my carb. I stopped because of the high levels of manganese in brown rice and of course lectins. I switched to buckwheat and ate that as my carb until a few weeks ago due to the lectins. Now I'm looking for good carbs.

So far, I've got acorn squash.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by paul900; 09-27-2012 at 10:18 PM.

paul900 Guest
    damn, now i do more and more research and find out that squash has a very high fructose level which i dont like at all.

IS THERE ANY GOOD CARB OUT THERE???

paul900 Guest
    im starting to think that you can find something wrong with every food. lectins/oxalates/fructose etc etc, the list goes on. the advice is always on what NOT to eat but i hardly ever see advice on what carbs to actually eat. the lectin thing completely wipes out grains/legumes. the fructose factor takes out a lot of vegetables. oxalates, which cause kidney stones, also take out some vegetables, and so on.

i would just love to find a good solid carb that i can just eat repeatedly.

however, i think thats impossible. you can always pick holes in everything.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    How about this staggering idea...

Eat a VARIETY of good foods.

Yes white and sweet potatoes have oxalates... but a person with normal kidney/body function should not have a problem with that.
    If you don't already have a known problem with forming Calcium Oxalate kidney stones then those foods should not be any concern to you at all.

Winter squashes are fine... but eating them and only them every day?

White rice is superior to brown rice. Neutral carb, no lectins.

Another great concept.
    Read a book called The Primal Blueprint.

What you are talking about doing.
    Finding one food, and eating it repeatedly every single day... no matter which food you pick... will eventually lead to health problems.
    This is because no single food is 100% nutritionally complete with all of the vitamins and trace minerals that your body needs.
    Your plan also sounds incredibly eating disordered.
    Please reconsider.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paul900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    How about this staggering idea...

Eat a VARIETY of good foods.

Yes white and sweet potatoes have oxalates... but a person with normal kidney/body function should not have a problem with that.
    If you don't already have a known problem with forming Calcium Oxalate kidney stones then those foods should not be any concern to you at all.

Winter squashes are fine... but eating them and only them every day?

White rice is superior to brown rice. Neutral carb, no lectins.

Another great concept.
    Read a book called The Primal Blueprint.

What you are talking about doing.
    Finding one food, and eating it repeatedly every single day... no matter which food you pick... will eventually lead to health problems.
    This is because no single food is 100% nutritionally complete with all of the vitamins and trace minerals that your body needs.
    Your plan also sounds incredibly eating disordered.
    Please reconsider.
    First off, thanks for the response. You are right, and I will change my plan and eat a more varied diet.

I'm a really busy guy so I basically do a bulk cook and then eat from that, mainly bringing most of it with me to work (i work long hours). This way I eat well consistently as I can't cook in work. Before I was getting take outs and snacking on bad stuff in work as I was just hungry but when I bring my own food its fine. I was eating the same meal every day (brown rice + chicken or buckwheat + chicken). It's not good long term.

What I want to do is get a mixture of really good carbs and cook them and mix them together and eat from that. I will use different carbs on different days. FINDING GOOD CARBS IS THE ISSUE and I hope you can help me with that. I get the point that I shouldn't eat the same ones every day. Thats the mistake I was making and I will amend that. Since you recommended some foods i will give you my opinion on them. hopefully I can learn something from your responses

Sweet potatoe

My reservations on sweet potatoe are the ASTRONOMICAL levels of Vitamin A. A 245g serving has 51631
    IU of Vitamin A. The RDA for Vitamin a is 5,000 IU which means a 245g serving has more than 10x the amount of vitamin A required for the day. This is very toxic and can cause liver and kidney damage.

So sweet potatoes are out (check out the astronomical vitamin A content).

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sweet potato, cooked, boiled, without skin [Sweetpotato]

White Potatoes

However, white potatoes seem like a good idea. They are pretty high in carbs, with a 299g serving giving 64g of carbs. I can add them to the diet though. THANK YOU!

White rice

As for white rice, almost everything I've read has warned me off it. High GI, blood sugar elevation, raises type 2 diabetes risk ( White rice raises T2 diabetes risk, claim academics - Telegraph )

so I would be reluctant to eat that.

Winter squashes

The fructose content is quite high and I am reluctant to take in any fructose as I believe it is a poison due to this video and some stuff I have read (im sure you have already seen this Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube )

So, to summerise, so far I have white potatoes as a good carb. Progress

paul900 Guest
    Ultimately I would just love a plan. I would love to know what to eat every day. I'm the type of person who likes to plan and cook my meals for tomorrow the day before so that it's off my mind and when the times comes to eat I just eat. I now see that it doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing every day.

Chicken/Salmon/Beef/Egg whites are good protein sources that I can interchange. I have no problem there.

For carbs, it's more ambiguous. Saying NO to lectins and fructose really limits me.

Perhaps I need to go to a nutritionist.

I am getting the primal blueprint after I post this. Hopefully that will give me some good ideas.
    Last edited by paul900; 09-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I think going to a nutritionist should be one of the last things on your list if you are basically healthy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Once again, if you have a normal functioning body the natural Vitamin A in sweet potato is not really a problem.
    Sweet potatoes, and other orange fleshed vegetables, contain beta carotene that the body then has to convert into Vitamin A. It tends to take what it needs and pass on the rest leaving it in a harmless state.
    Assuming you are a healthy person you just are not going to have a problem with this.
    We have people here who eat several pounds of sweet potatoes a few days a week... no body is suffering ill health.
    Also... there are white and purple sweet potatoes if you just want to skip the beta carotene.

People who overdose on vitamin A are almost always people taking refined vitamin A pill supplements that the body cannot handle the same. Or they are people who have some sort of health problem that causes their body to not deal with natural vitamin A properly.

You are definitely over analyzing all of this.
    Seriously.
    Eat healthy whole foods.
    ALL of the foods mentioned are part of a healthy diet... sweet potato, potato, winter squash, even white rice in moderation is perfectly fine.

A "nutritionist" will tell you to eat "healthy whole grains, legumes, low fat (rememer to make your fats from highly processed seed oils too), fruits, vegetables, and minimal meat" ... That's what they are taught and paid to say. They will tell you that lectins are fine... and that sugar is great in moderation. Even those McDonalds cheeseburgers and chips are fine sometimes.
    Do you really want to PAY someone to hear that?
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    What about high carb (compared to others) veggies like carrots, leeks, onions. Carrots and leeks are yummy in soups too.

Is there a reason why you have picked 100g of carbs a day. Is there any food you are particularly sensitive to. I can understand lectins, but fructose in good fruit should not be a problem for most people. Do you need to watch oxalates?

Focus first on getting rid of processed food, carbs, industrial oils and just bringing in more vegetables, good fats and good meat. Look into making bone broth and stock for your soup, that will make it super nutritious and depending on where you are (new maybe judging from the join date) work on moving slowly and sleeping. That should keep you busy until you get and read PB.

Also boards.ie in the nutrition section they are very pro primal, so you can find out about local shopping etc.

It will take time to get into a routine and figure it out, but there is no point stressing out about it.

One last thing, start eating your egg yolks.
    Life. Be in it.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Celery root and other root vegetables, zucchini, broccoli... I agree that A-vitamin from beta carotene in vegetables is different for the body to handle than pure synthetic A-vitamin from supplements. Besides, if your vitamin D status is good (supplement with D3 or get a loooot of sunshine in the summer), then you can handle more vitamin A anyway.

I wouldn't run screaming away from the fructose i vegetables. If you don't eat tons of fruit og candy, then I think it is fine to get some in the combination of vegetables and ripe fruit. Really - come on!

White potatoes are also fine sometimes, but they belong to the nightshade family which can cause problems for some people (just so you can start worrying about them too hehe )
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast