Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please give me some ideas for good carbs to eat page 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is orthorexia. It happens to many of us once we realize that some foods are bad for us. We instantly want to know about ALL the problematic foods, and soon enough we've earmarked more than a fair amount of foods as toxic. The trick is to note what you're already not eating. No grains? Okay, cool. That's most American snack food already. Excess sugar? Great! No soda, no insulin-spiking fruit juice. But once you start thinking that excess vitamins from WHOLE FOODS are a problem, it's time to stop eliminating foods. I was afraid of liver for a few weeks when I read about the potential for vitamin A overdose. But I kept asking questions and digging, realized it was no threat, and then ate more and more liver until my natural appetite for it tapered off. My body, most likely, finally got enough vitamin A - and liver is now an occasional food for me. Part of a rotation of nutrient-dense foods.

But my grocery list is pretty short, too. Local availability is a big issue.

I pretty much just eat:

Steak, chicken, liver, bone broth, hearts, other animal pieces
    Bacon
    Seafood
    Avocados
    Leafy greens
    Berries
    Bacon
    Some nuts
    A little raw dairy here and there
    Occasional, rare cheats of ice cream, or a slice of pizza or two - maybe a little brownie here and there. Once a week at the most.
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Mushrooms
    Coconut milk in large quantities in my coffee
    Tallow, coconut oil
    Bacon
    Kombucha, home brew
    Sauerkraut
    Foraged food like rose hips, nettle, dandelion, etc.
    Apples, pears, onoins, sweet potatoes when I'm not very low-carbing it.
    Spices, herbs
    Bacon
    supplement magnesium, vitamin D, sometimes potassium

Is that nutritionally complete over the course of a year? Sure looks like it! The only thing I fall short on often is thiamine, but when I do get it, I get a LOT of it. EDIT: BACON is loaded with thiamine, I forgot!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paul900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You got that right...

Call me crazy...
    But eating exactly the same 2 foods every day?
    Healthy...
    how is it so bad if the foods have all the nutrients you need?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul900 View Post
    how is it so bad if the foods have all the nutrients you need?

There are no 2 single food on earth that have a perfect balance of all the nutrients you need including vitamins and trace minerals.
    Eating like that you'll eventually become too high in some things and deficient in others...

That's why every sane eating plan on earth recommends eating a wide variety of healthy whole foods.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    There is more to food than macronutrients like fat/carb/protein. There are many micronutrients beyond vitamins and minerals as well.
    There is also the fact food is meant to be enjoyed - not just like putting energy in your tank like a car. ALthough having a boring menu can sometimes help with weight loss.
    There is also a likelyhood that there are essential phyto-nutrients that we are still unaware of. 2 or three foods will not likely meet your need for all phyto-nutrients, essential fatty acids etc.
    There is also something called Hormesis which you may want to look up. In relation to diet(and other things) the body need a little stress ie toxins to keep it on its toes. People who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day likely will not be healthy but people who smoke a cigarette every few weeks may actually bolster their imune system by stimulating the bodies defenses. An army that never fights usually gets slack and stale and is never in tip top shape. An army that fights too much gets worn down and weary. Same with your body.
    Lectins and other so called toxins sometimes provide benefits to the body - some prevent absorption of too much iron if you eat a lot of red meat etc.
    Relax and eat a variety. From studies of aboriginals I have read, it is estimated they would eat up to 500 to 1000 different foods over the course of a year.

Cheers
    J

paul900 Guest
    There are no 2 single food on earth that have a perfect balance of all the nutrients you need including vitamins and trace minerals.
    Eating like that you'll eventually become too high in some things and deficient in others...

That's why every sane eating plan on earth recommends eating a wide variety of healthy whole foods.
    I see your point. What I am after is to get all nutrients fulfilled. Can you help me by suggesting carbs and I will then do my research. So far, buckwheat, squash. (i will look into mushrooms and carrots)

I have figured out the nutrients that I will be getting from 500g buckwheat and 500g squash

I've calculated the percentages of vitamins and minerals I will get from eating 500g buckwheat and 500g squash per day from here

FROM 500g BUCKWHEAT

Vitamin A - 0%
    Vitamin C - 0%
    Vitamin D - 0%
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 0%
    Vitamin K - 10%
    Thiamin - 15%
    Riboflavin - 10%
    Niacin - 5%
    Vitamin B6 - 4%
    Folate - 15%
    Vitamin B12 - 0%
    Pantothenic Acid - 20%
    Choline
    Betaine

The minerals are

Calcium - 5%
    Iron - 20%
    Magnesium - 65%
    Phosphorus - 35%
    Potassium - 15%
    Sodium - 0%
    Zinc - 20%
    Copper - 35%
    Manganese - 100%
    Selenium - 15%

FROM 500g SQUASH

Vitamin A - 80%%
    Vitamin C - 55%
    Vitamin D - 0%
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 0%
    Vitamin K - 0%
    Thiamin - 35%%
    Riboflavin - 0%
    Niacin - 15%
    Vitamin B6 - 30%
    Folate - 15%
    Vitamin B12 - 0%
    Pantothenic Acid - 15%
    Choline
    Betaine

The minerals are

Calcium - 5%
    Iron - 20%
    Magnesium - 65%
    Phosphorus - 35%
    Potassium - 15%
    Sodium - 0%
    Zinc - 20%
    Copper - 35%
    Manganese - 100%
    Selenium - 15%

FROM 500g CHICKEN

Vitamin A - 0%
    Vitamin C - 0%
    Vitamin D - 0%
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 10%
    Vitamin K - 15%
    Thiamin - 25%%
    Riboflavin - 35%
    Niacin - 370%
    Vitamin B6 - 160%
    Folate - 5%
    Vitamin B12 - 30%
    Pantothenic Acid - 50%
    Choline
    Betaine

The minerals are

Calcium - 10%
    Iron - 30%
    Magnesium - 40%
    Phosphorus - 125%
    Potassium - 40%
    Sodium - 15%
    Zinc - 35%
    Copper - 15%
    Manganese - 5%
    Selenium - 175%

So that comes to a grand total of...

Vitamin A - 80%
    Vitamin C - 55%
    Vitamin D - 0%
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 10%
    Vitamin K - 15%
    Thiamin - 75%
    Riboflavin - 45%
    Niacin - 395%
    Vitamin B6 - 194%
    Folate - 35%
    Vitamin B12 - 30%
    Pantothenic Acid - 85%

The minerals are

Calcium - 20%
    Iron - 70%
    Magnesium - 170%
    Phosphorus - 195%
    Potassium - 70%
    Sodium - 15%
    Zinc - 20%
    Copper - 75%
    Manganese - 200%
    Selenium - 205%

Clearly I have too much of some and too little of others. It will be difficult to get that balance though. Probably impossible to do. Plus I am 6'5 tall and weigh around 220 so i probably need more than the average man. I will maybe reduce the chicken as it's very high in niacin and B6 and selenium.

I'm sure I can get the balance right if I just get the foods.

Green peas,
    Carrots
    Mushrooms
    Walnuts
    Turkey

I'll do some more research on those now while I have the time and maybe switch the diet around and see what i can come up with...

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think I already made the suggestion...

Eat a diet that includes a WIDE VARIETY of healthy whole foods.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paul900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    There is more to food than macronutrients like fat/carb/protein. There are many micronutrients beyond vitamins and minerals as well.
    There is also the fact food is meant to be enjoyed - not just like putting energy in your tank like a car. ALthough having a boring menu can sometimes help with weight loss.
    There is also a likelyhood that there are essential phyto-nutrients that we are still unaware of. 2 or three foods will not likely meet your need for all phyto-nutrients, essential fatty acids etc.
    There is also something called Hormesis which you may want to look up. In relation to diet(and other things) the body need a little stress ie toxins to keep it on its toes. People who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day likely will not be healthy but people who smoke a cigarette every few weeks may actually bolster their imune system by stimulating the bodies defenses. An army that never fights usually gets slack and stale and is never in tip top shape. An army that fights too much gets worn down and weary. Same with your body.
    Lectins and other so called toxins sometimes provide benefits to the body - some prevent absorption of too much iron if you eat a lot of red meat etc.
    Relax and eat a variety. From studies of aboriginals I have read, it is estimated they would eat up to 500 to 1000 different foods over the course of a year.

Cheers
    J
    You've made some good points here indeed. I do smoke and drink alcohol on rare occasions. However, I like the idea of using my food as fuel rather than focusing on enjoying food. That's what makes people fat and unhealthy. I want to eat with a long term view in mind. I'd eat worms every day if they provided the full nutrition i needed. lol. I just want to create the optimal diet for myself. At least I am trying. I will get there.

paul900 Guest
    I think I already made the suggestion...

Eat a diet that includes a WIDE VARIETY of healthy whole foods.
    i appreciate your help

but this is not really helpful because you don't list the foods. i mean, can you give some examples?

sorry but im a guy here, i don't really know much about foods/cooking. however i am learning fast.

paul900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post

Avocados
    Leafy greens
    Berries
    Mushrooms
    Foraged food like rose hips, nettle, dandelion, etc.
    Apples, pears, onoins, sweet potatoes when I'm not very low-carbing it.
    That's a good list of carbs man. I will try to add some of them.

Of course I will first do a rigorous background check lol

Thanks

paul900 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I may be overthinking it but this work i am putting in could serve me well in the long term if i can get this diet right. personally i hate cooking so i want to be able to make a batch of everything (buckwheat/squash/mushrooms/peas/avocado/turkey/chicken and so on) on one day and leave it in the fridge for 2-3 days and eat what i need and then repeat that cook

i understand some of you probably love cooking and eating different foods and may not see where i am coming from

i think the majority of posters here are female which means you cook a lot (im not being sexist but thats a fact) so perhaps we are coming at this from different viewpoints. i guess its like shopping. a man just wants to get in and get out. my girlfriend goes shopping even when she has no money and just tries clothes on which i personally cannot understand. similarly, i just want to cook all the food at once and be done with it rather than taking my time.

hope that makes sense

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast