Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need primal meal ideas for non-primal friends... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Need primal meal ideas for non-primal friends...

Shop Now
    I'm likely to be hosting some friends at my place for dinner on Saturday. None of them are primal by any standard. They are definitely grain-addicted CW types. However, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for some good primal meals I could make that would impress the crowd?

There are no vegetarians in this crowd and everyone eats veggies too, so those are also good to go.

I'm hoping to avoid the common trap of "just use tubers" so that I can make something that will really impress them and show-off the primal diet (yet I can't be preachy about it).

Anyhow, taking suggestions for some good meal options!

Oh yeah, and one of them doesn't do well with spicy foods.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't know. Steak, roasted sweet potatoes (maybe mashed with some pineapple, ginger, coconut and coconut oil?), and BAS?

We serve non-primal folks all the time. We mostly just service whatever we normally eat. Most people are impressed by it.

I think you missed the part where I was hoping to avoid using tubers just for the sake of adding carbs for CW friends. It's not that I'm aiming for a VLC meal, but I also don't want to feel like I have to totally base my menu around the fact that they are not primal.

I'm aiming for a meal that will impress without being simply a primal take on something already in the CW wisdom. I want to see if I can do something "uniquley primal."

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Appertisers:
    Guacamole/Hummus with carrot sticks and celery instead of crackers
    Sundried tomatoes and olives with various cheeses
    Jerky

Mains:
    Steak (we call it barbeque, I think you call it grilling?)
    Casserole / Curry / Stir fry / Salad
    Lasagne (using courgettes instead of noodles)
    Roast Meat + Veges

Dessert:
    Coconut cream chocolate mousse
    Fruit kebabs
    Nuts dipped in Dark Chocolate

Can't help you be 'unique', sorry. These are foods we eat all the time (although the Lasagne and Kebabs are more 'treat' foods that we can't be bothered cooking just for us).
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-27-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

That's easy, then, just have multiple, different-veggie side-dishes.

Or, like what I do at thanksgiving:

first course: soup -- I like to make really simple blended soups (puree ones), using whatever is seasonal. it's spring, so asparagus is popular right now. If it's autumn where you are, you could use squash (though it might throw your VLC).

Second course: salad

third course: meat plus two veg. the two veg are generally something like a broccoli salad and then i like to do something like roasted beets, etc. But i like root veggies. You could probably get away with a kale salad of some kind too -- different warm salads. brussels sprouts? yeah, those are good.

final course: dessert. fruit usually. not very VLC, but you could make some kind of raw ice cream with avocados or something. maybe that beetroot flourless chocolate torte that's on the primal lunchbox thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That's easy, then, just have multiple, different-veggie side-dishes.

Or, like what I do at thanksgiving:

first course: soup -- I like to make really simple blended soups (puree ones), using whatever is seasonal. it's spring, so asparagus is popular right now. If it's autumn where you are, you could use squash (though it might throw your VLC).

Second course: salad

third course: meat plus two veg. the two veg are generally something like a broccoli salad and then i like to do something like roasted beets, etc. But i like root veggies. You could probably get away with a kale salad of some kind too -- different warm salads. brussels sprouts? yeah, those are good.

final course: dessert. fruit usually. not very VLC, but you could make some kind of raw ice cream with avocados or something. maybe that beetroot flourless chocolate torte that's on the primal lunchbox thread.
    I'm ok with the meal not being VLC. But I don't just want to make something that is CW with a few "primal substitutions." That's all. I just want this meal to be unique.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    How about simple salads, eggplant lasagna, and fresh fruit kabobs with dark chocolate dipping sauce for desert. Of course there are lots of options. Is this like a casual get together (serve yourself style) or more like a dinner party?
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    IMO when hosting a group the main issues are ease and tastiness.
    Not so much "unique".
    Too "unique" and you tend to put people off... not every person is an adventurous eater.

Ease means you wont spend all the time your guests are in your home fussing over the food.
    Prep it and forget it type things instead of "fussy" things.
    No one enjoys it if the host/hostess is trying TOO hard.
    That usually means one of three things, a long slow cook, grilled foods for a casual group, or a food that can be served cool.

For groups I like both braising and and grilling.
    I never do formal. I just hate it.
    I'd do something like lamb or veal shanks for a long slow cook.
    Have it ready and staying warm...
    Serve it with generous numbers of bacon wrapped green bean or asparagus bundles with a balsamic reduction drizzle.
    (They can be prepped ahead too, and are easy to have ready at a specific time.)
    And maybe some roasted winter squash nuggets with onion... it's that time of year.
    *shrug*

Or I'd have a steak grill up for my "tame" friends
    OR there would be a wild pig BBQ (including the head)... head goes in the middle of the table during dinner for the brave.
    And yes, it gets eaten!
    I know that you can sometimes get head on pigs for roasting from butcher... do a suckling (or just larger) pig maybe? DELICIOUS!

It's all about knowing your audience... what is "unique" to one group is totally normal fare to the next... and possibly down right repulsive to another.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    IMO when hosting a group the main issues are ease and tastiness.
    Not so much "unique".
    Too "unique" and you tend to put people off... not every person is an adventurous eater.

Ease means you wont spend all the time your guests are in your home fussing over the food.
    Prep it and forget it type things instead of "fussy" things.
    No one enjoys it if the host/hostess is trying TOO hard.
    That usually means one of three things, a long slow cook, grilled foods for a casual group, or a food that can be served cool.

For groups I like both braising and and grilling.
    I never do formal. I just hate it.
    I'd do something like lamb or veal shanks for a long slow cook.
    Have it ready and staying warm...
    Serve it with generous numbers of bacon wrapped green bean or asparagus bundles with a balsamic reduction drizzle.
    (They can be prepped ahead too, and are easy to have ready at a specific time.)
    And maybe some roasted winter squash nuggets with onion... it's that time of year.
    *shrug*

Or I'd have a steak grill up for my "tame" friends
    OR there would be a wild pig BBQ (including the head)... head goes in the middle of the table during dinner for the brave.
    And yes, it gets eaten!
    I know that you can sometimes get head on pigs for roasting from butcher... do a suckling (or just larger) pig maybe? DELICIOUS!

It's all about knowing your audience... what is "unique" to one group is totally normal fare to the next... and possibly down right repulsive to another.
    Geez... I'm coming to your house for dinner
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

I didn't notice that I was making any substitutions. That's just how I eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast