Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Coconut Milk

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Coconut Milk

    Could someone suggest a good brand of coconut milk? I have been using So Delicious unsweetened vanilla because of it's availability and taste, but I read it's not a good choice. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    243
    Native forest does not use bpa in the can liner.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    129
    Are you asking about Coconut Milk Drink, or Coconut Milk? The Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Drink sold in milk cartons is a very different product than Coconut Milk, which usually comes in cans.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    Are you asking about Coconut Milk Drink, or Coconut Milk? The Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Drink sold in milk cartons is a very different product than Coconut Milk, which usually comes in cans.
    It would be helpful if you would explain the difference.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by XGrains View Post
    It would be helpful if you would explain the difference.
    Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

    Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-28-2012 at 05:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

    Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
    Coconut "milk" (not the drink) is a human invention not found in the coconut itself. You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
    And also there is no coconut meat in coconut "milk".
    Last edited by KathyH; 09-28-2012 at 05:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
    And also there is no coconut meat in coconut "milk".
    I bought one to try to make my own, but havent yet. Maybe later today
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Coconut "milk" (not the drink) is a human invention not found in the coconut itself. You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
    And also there is no coconut meat in coconut "milk".
    I stand corrected on the presence of coconut meat - unsure why I typed it because I knew that already. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Trader Joe's now sells a heavy creme full fat coconut milk that is double the fat of anything else out there, in a can! Woo hoo! And for just $1.49 a pop...
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

    Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Trader Joe's now sells a heavy creme full fat coconut milk that is double the fat of anything else out there, in a can! Woo hoo! And for just $1.49 a pop...
    Betorq, I am new to this -- why is everyone else thinking this is poison in a can? Since you bought some, you must have thought it was a good idea!? What am I missing?
    (turns out I just bought a can too! And no, I don't have any coconut trees in my backyard, I wish!)

    INGREDIENTS:
    Coconut Extracted
    Sodium Carboxy Methyl Cellulose [read a bit about that one, seems a pretty safe thickening agent; non-toxic and poorly absorbed)
    Xantham Gum [another stabilizing/thickening agent]
    Water

    TIA!
    _______________________________________

    Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

    Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •