Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Coconut Milk page 6

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    When I tried making it the hot water method I was afraid my blender was going to burn up. Are you using a high speed blender or just a run of the mill blender? I'd love to make it regularly as it seems like a better choice and is way less expensive than canned but not if I burn out my blender. I was only processing a cup of coconut.
    It's not top the line, but it is a high speed blender. I have gotten blenders to literally smoke, more than a few times, haha... But it's not the temperature of the water, its the thickness, the motor & whether the blades can engage all the material in the container without backing up. THAT backing up causes heat to build up, & it also strains lesser powered motors, which also adds heat & wears out motors.

Why not use the dual approach: Soak the coconut flakes or powder overnight in hot water. In the morning, when it's cooled but fully absorbed all the water it's ever going to, then blend it. In small batches if you're freaked out about burning out the family blender. I've owned maybe a dozen blenders in my lifetime. I have some kick ass strong ones in storage: an old but trusty VitaMix I bought at a yard sale, Cuisanarts, MagicBullets etc
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-30-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    So, if a 250g bag of dried shredded coconut has about 170grams of fat, and i decide to make coconut milk out of it. Then how much of this fat could i possibly extract? with the "soak overnight" or "hot water" method. I guess theres no way of knowing... 50%? 75?.
    I do drink ALOT of coconut milk, it would be beneficial to have some idea of how much fat i extracted from the shredded coconut.
    Last edited by sandokan2112; 09-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandokan2112 View Post
    So, if a 250g bag of dried shredded coconut has about 170grams of fat, and i decide to make coconut milk out of it. Then how much of this fat could i possibly extract? with the "soak overnight" or "hot water" method. I guess theres no way of knowing... 50%? 75?.
    I do drink ALOT of coconut milk, it would be beneficial to have some idea of how much fat i extracted from the shredded coconut.
    You could always do side-by-side taste comparisons with different cans of coconut milk with varying levels of fat per cup...although I am not sure if that is too much money/effort on your part to do so.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I use native forest or Tai traditions. Look at the ingredients.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    You could always do side-by-side taste comparisons with different cans of coconut milk with varying levels of fat per cup...although I am not sure if that is too much money/effort on your part to do so.
    Yeah, i never thought of that. I do have a couple different brands sitting in the cupboard.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XGrains View Post
    Here's the ingredient list. Should I avoid completely, or use occasionally?

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup (240 mL)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 50
    Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 4g 20%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 65mg 3%
    Potassium 65mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugar 0g
    Protein 0g

Vitamin A10% Vitamin C0% Calcium10% Iron0% Vitamin D30% Folate6% Vitamin B1250% Magnesium8% Zinc4% Selenium8%** Comprised of about 65% medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs)
    Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), NATURAL FLAVORS, VANILLA EXTRACT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, KOSHER SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, REB A (STEVIA EXTRACT), MONK FRUIT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.
    A part of primal/paleo is to remove processed foods. Guess what this product comes under? Pro tip: I see a lot of unnecessary crap in that product.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    I stand by my suggestion of native forest brand, no bpa in the liner and it's organic. they do use organic guar gum, but that does not seem to bother me.
    +1

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    my kids used to get belly aches from Rice Dream too---but I thought I remembered somewhere way back that they werent actually gluten free like everyone thought!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I tried making coconut milk in my blender. I blended it for a long time, probably 3-4 minutes total (over several 30-second-or-so cycles). It had good flavor, but it had a very thin consistency compared to canned coconut milk, pretty much like cow's milk. Is this just because of the thickeners that canned varieties use, or do I need to use less water or something?

Deonte is offline Junior Member
    Well, I still have issue about it. I mean, what actually coconut milk is?
    If it is only a beverage, then ultimately some carbonates are involved as far as manufacturing is concerned.
    Milks usually are plain. Kew personal trainer
    need something more!
    Last edited by Deonte; 10-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456