Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Milk page 2

XGrains is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here's the ingredient list. Should I avoid completely, or use occasionally?

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup (240 mL)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 50
    Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 4g 20%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 65mg 3%
    Potassium 65mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugar 0g
    Protein 0g

• Vitamin A10%• Vitamin C0%• Calcium10%• Iron0%• Vitamin D30%• Folate6%• Vitamin B1250%• Magnesium8%• Zinc4%• Selenium8%** Comprised of about 65% medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs)
    Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), NATURAL FLAVORS, VANILLA EXTRACT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, KOSHER SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, REB A (STEVIA EXTRACT), MONK FRUIT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    This is their unsweetened version?? Sheesh.

Yeah, besides the sweeteners the thickeners there's a bunch of artificial vitamins. Calcium and magnesium, um, ok. Folic acid - not really used by your body. D-2 - why? And I don't trust "natural flavors" - that could be anything these days.

Yeah, get the cans. Even the 75 cent cans from the hispanic market. Or the more expensive and more tasty Thai Kitchen. Or order the BPA-free ones off Amazon. I put plain coconut milk from a can in my coffee all the time (along with a bit of stevia powder), it's yummy.

Even better, make your own.

XGrains is offline Member
    I looked on Amazon for coconut milk and most of them contain the following: organic coconut, water, organic guar gum.
    Is there a pure brand of coconut milk in BPA free cans?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Aroy-D in the cardboard box has no BPA, and it's just water and coconut. And the price is very good, for a very delicious coconut milk that can be drank straight or added to anything. I've tried some of the other brands from cans, and they taste grainy, or gummy and strange. But the Aroy-D is smooth and milky, and sweet - not bland like the other brands I've tried. I drink a box every day in my coffee.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yes, Aroy-D in the cardboard box has no BPA, and it's just water and coconut. And the price is very good, for a very delicious coconut milk that can be drank straight or added to anything. I've tried some of the other brands from cans, and they taste grainy, or gummy and strange. But the Aroy-D is smooth and milky, and sweet - not bland like the other brands I've tried. I drink a box every day in my coffee.
    I don't trust tetrapaks either. Just because BPA has had numerous studies and not other chemicals involved packaging doesn't mean BPA is the only thing you should avoid.

Yes, there are other chemicals. If I could make my own coconut milk I would. Not an option yet. Too poor. Someday, when I'm a billionaire, I'll be able to buy coconuts at $4.00 each, find out how many were moldy, and blend up the survivors for whatever measly amount of actual product I can squeeze out of them. What's it take, like three coconuts to get a nice thick cup of milk? So $12.00 for one morning's worth of coconut milk, plus $12.00 more for the other three that were moldy? I just can't do that right now. $24.00 for a cup of coconut milk makes no sense. I already spend $50.00 per week on groceries just on myself. Can't be almost x1.5'ing it for puritan coconut milk.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

I get 2 delicious cups from a $1.49 coconut at the Asian supermarket Way better than cartoned or canned stuff.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's now sells a heavy creme full fat coconut milk that is double the fat of anything else out there, in a can! Woo hoo! And for just $1.49 a pop...
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Water, or squeezed milk? Can I use baby coconuts? With yield like that I might actually try this one...if I can find coconuts for less than $4.00. Asian market does have them, but I haven't priced the big ones.

Trader Joe's now sells a heavy creme full fat coconut milk that is double the fat of anything else out there, in a can! Woo hoo! And for just $1.49 a pop...
    No, they don't. It's toxic sludge, I read the label myself.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Water, or squeezed milk? Can I use baby coconuts? With yield like that I might actually try this one...if I can find coconuts for less than $4.00. Asian market does have them, but I haven't priced the big ones.
    Squeezed milk. I don't think you can use baby coconuts. At least at the places I buy it, it's $0.69/lb, and each turn out roughly 2 lbs or so.

No, they don't. It's toxic sludge, I read the label myself.
    Agreed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast