Thread: FAT - What fats are okay for PB? page

tombolt1 is offline Junior Member

FAT - What fats are okay for PB?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I read the link on PB 101 about fats and it was all very interesting, technical and somewhat confusing for me and I would have loved to see a summary of the different types of fat and what PB'rs should target.

As near as I can tell...all saturated is good, some monounsatured is okay and polyunsaturated is not okay unless balanced between O3's vs O6s. However, I found that most products with polyunsaturated fat doesn't break down between O3 and O6 so should I just stay away from these entirely.

Appreciate very much if someone out there can clarify for me.

Thank you!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Good: Butter, tallow, lard, coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, fish oil (but you don't need much)

Decent (don't go nuts): Schmaltz, peanut oil, sesame oil, flax oil

Bad: Soybean, corn, cottonseed, or any other vegetable oils. Anything hydrogenated.

Prefer fats in their more natural state: grass-fed/pastured/extra-virgin and unfiltered etc.

In general, don't limit saturated or monounsaturated fat. Keep PUFA low overall and get a supplemental source of n-3 PUFA to counterbalance any excess n-6. Prefer saturated for cooking (monounsaturated is actually pretty much fine if you need it for flavor, it's the multiple double-bonds that start to be a real issue), never cook with high PUFA oils (even if they're high n-3). Watch the smoke point of your fats: if it starts smoking, you're creating all kinds of nasty lipid peroxides (this is based on free fatty acid content and not necessarily degree of saturation).
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 04-04-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    This is going to take some nutritionfactsing.

Don't stay away from all polyunsaturated. Definitely make sure to consume either fish oil supplements or wild low-contaminent fish every day. Also there are some organic meats and eggs with more omega 3. I would keep polyunsaturated to less than 5% of total energy in a 1:1 ratio if possible. And make at least 2g of it EPA and DHA. ALA does have some anti-inflammatory effects but it is simply not sufficient for all of the things that we actually need DHA for.

But seriously nutritionfacts.com