Thread: Hey :D page

GrokJr is offline Junior Member

Post Hey :D

Primal Fuel
    Hey all!
    My name's Mohammed and I'm from England (The Land of Rain), oh and I'm 15 I've just finished reading the Mark's book and I've gotta say, it's made a lot of sense to me but I have one question, Is it okay for a guy my age to go primal?

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    What would grok's son have done?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokJr View Post
    I'm from England (The Land of Rain)
    Must be in Yorkshire then? As to the question you posed Mohammed, see Greenbeast's reply.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There are a few teenage guys around here who've done really well.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Do it. Just gotta think clear in the beginning weeks. Have a real big breakfast before a long schoolday and also have a huge dinner. Eat as much as you want. Also doing strength training and eating even more brings great results
    Billie trips balls

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Gadsie, eat clean and start training. It'll be the best thing you'll ever do in your life. Good to see more young people on here. Whats your goals? If you don't have any, get some.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokJr View Post
    Hey all!
    My name's Mohammed and I'm from England (The Land of Rain), oh and I'm 15 I've just finished reading the Mark's book and I've gotta say, it's made a lot of sense to me but I have one question, Is it okay for a guy my age to go primal?
    You may already be eating mostly home-cooked food as opposed to packaged stuff. Nevertheless, you could probably benefit by eliminating, or at least cutting down on, cereal grains -- insofar as that's possible at 15 without antagonizing the cook.

I guess your name probably indicates a family origin in northern India. It might interest you to know that there's a far lower rate of heart disease there than in southern India. One researcher back in the 1920s looked at diets from all over the subcontinent and found the diets of the north to be the healthiest. Here's information of the work in case it's of interest:

McCarrison - Nutrition and National Health - 1

Those diets did contain a fair amount of wheat in the form of chapattis. However, I think stuff like wheat is probably more problematic for us than it was for people in the past. Firstly, it's been bred to shorten the stalk and increase the yield. But the breeding seems to have unintentionally changed the gluten and made it even more difficult to digest and even more likely to provoke gastro-intestinal distress. There's a guy who has a whole book on this -- a cardiologist Dr. William Davis. It's called Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, lose the weight. Here's his blog:

Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

Two other things: (1) People in the 1920s weren't taking antibiotics. Today, they're over-prescribed. It now turns out that those damage the friendly microbes in your gut as well as the bad guys. (2) Also people in the 1920s weren't sitting up late under electric light, watching TVs. When you don't get enough sleep lots of bad things happen -- lots of hormonal processes that should happen don't, or not so well. The same goes for the sheer light-exposure, because some of these hormonal cascades are triggered by light -- since we evolved on a planet that has night and day. One of the things that should happen at night and might be impaired in many modern people is repair of your gut flora. Those get sorted out somewhat while you sleep.

The point of all this is: for reasons (1) and (2) the gut flora of the average modern person is probably a little impaired, which means we're going to be less able to handle stuff like wheat -- particularly as it's been overbred in the last thirty odd years in an unhelpful way.

If you can get it out your diet, you'll probably see benefit.