Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Primal Foods that Do not Need to Be Refrigerated, Preferably LC page

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member

Looking For Primal Foods that Do not Need to Be Refrigerated, Preferably LC

Shop Now
    Hello My Primal Fam!

So my partner and I have mutually agreed to separate for the time being....long story a little sad but such is life.

Anywho I was forced to find a place really quick (just did not want to be around the house/memories) in 3 days and the only decent place I found with reasonable pricing is a huge house I have to share with two other people. They seem nice. At any rate, I have not been really one to cook much but I am a little bit sketched with sharing a kitchen constantly with two people I do not know. It might change as they seem pretty nice but I have just always had my own place and then the place with my partner but due to some huge financial hits (sick dog mostly) and wanting to save up to buy my own place, all the decent one bedrooms are pretty out of my range.

Pardon the Long winded narration but I was wondering what kinds of foods and snacks I can store in my room.

So far all I have are eggs, seasnax and jerkys. I do NOT like canned fish or any canned meats really and trying to limit my nuts. Can you guys think of yummy low carb snacks and food I can have without having to refrigerate and eat for a week at least? and where I can find such foods in Ontario? The more creative the better! I rarely cook and spend most of my day time at work anyway so something I can just grab and go will be much appreciated. Thanks Guys!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Is a mini fridge allowed or in your budget?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ya I suppose I can swing a mini fridge. I will have to confirm with the Land Lord. But I am hoping that in the interim there might be snack ideas that I can get from whole foods that I can just have in my room?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Hard cheeses
    Aged cheeses can be kept out for a couple of days, such as cheddar
    Pemmican and jerky
    Many kinds of vegetables can be kept out like potatoes, squashes, tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers
    Confit is a means of preserving some kinds of meats
    It's too bad you don't like canned fish.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    sb kinda nailed it. there are some cured meats that are fine at room temp, since that's how they are made -- like prosciutto. but most whole foods are perishable at room temp, especially animal proteins, and eggs are not safe at room temp for more than a few days.

buying take-away from places like whole foods is rapidly going to add up to way more than what you'd spend on a small fridge.

good luck with your transitions.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Leida is offline Senior Member
    In the Asian stores they have dry fish, pretty addictive. You an also store coconut oil and creamed coconut at room temperature. Canned olives. It doesn't have to be canned/dried meat. Cooked meat, like fried ground beef, will be Okay too. if the temperature is dropping in Ontario, you can prolongue the shelf-life by hanging your supplies out of the window in the shade.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You can also can your own meats getting something like this:
    Tushonka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks Sb, Noodle and Leida, I think I will end up investing in a fridge as noodle rightly pointed that eating out esp at whole foods can definitely add up, that is actually what I was doing for the past couple of days

SB, I should rephrase and say that so far all I have tried has been sardines and tuna. I definitely hate tuna and feel meh about sardines although I remember my mom making some sardine tomato onion sauce fried in olive and it was yum, maybe I will get the recipe from her. Have you tried any other kind of canned fish you can reccomend?

Leida, I will go to be Asian store here and see what kinds of dried fish I can get. I was thinking of making some kind of jerky but with dried fish.

Pemmican sounds so yummy from the descriptions that were on Paleo Bird's thread "Eat Moar Fat" but it sounded very complicated and hard to make (complicated for me..lol)

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i don't like canned tuna at all, but do enjoy wild salmon in a can, as well as smoked oysters and mackerel. just read the labels because these can often contain soybean oil.

the dried fish are good snacky-kinds of things, but can also be soaked and drained, then used in broth or water for soup. i've used dried shrimp, anchovies, sardines, mussels and clams for various things.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Grow veggies like salad, onions on your window sill. No need for refrigeration, it's always fresh and the plants contribute to cleaning the air in your place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast