Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Primal Foods that Do not Need to Be Refrigerated, Preferably LC page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Certain veggies that you can buy and keep a long time without refrigerating are any that are fermented. In fact, they do just fine without a fridge. The reason for this is, they just keep on fermenting in the meantime.

On the meat side of things, go for jerky.

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    Eggs are actually fine outside of the fridge if they're farm fresh/pastured. Butter keeps out of the fridge too, just keep the air out of it (a butter bell is great for that if you can find one). If you can't get a mini-fridge right away, a cooler might be a good help in the meantime.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hard cheeses
    Aged cheeses can be kept out for a couple of days, such as cheddar
    Pemmican and jerky
    Many kinds of vegetables can be kept out like potatoes, squashes, tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers
    Confit is a means of preserving some kinds of meats
    It's too bad you don't like canned fish.
    Of course the hiker would be all over a question like this!

LiquidVTX is offline Junior Member
    How about sardines, avocados, dark chocolate, red wine, macadamia nuts, ghee, protein powder if you drink it, almond butter, and fresh coconuts.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Canned salmon is good.

Steve's Original makes some paleo trail mix kits that contain meat jerky. Those are good, and chewy!

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Canned salmon tastes better than tuna or sardines. I find it has a better texture and tastes/smells far less "fishy". Also, I gag at the thought of canned meat but have discovered that canned chicken breast is not too bad.

ezeflier is offline Member
    I would _try_ sharing the refrigerator.. What do you have to lose? Look at it as an experiment to see if it will work. Maybe even a cultural experiment. If after trying it for a week or two it's not working, look for your own fridge.

I like Spam. Seriously, it has a short, explicative ingredient list. I think it's pretty safe for a factory pork product. Slice it about 1/8" thin and brown it gently in a pan. Put it on a salad. Have it with rice and seaweed for Musubi.

Matt-

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeflier View Post
    I would _try_ sharing the refrigerator.. What do you have to lose? Look at it as an experiment to see if it will work. Maybe even a cultural experiment. If after trying it for a week or two it's not working, look for your own fridge.
    +1 ... I've had to share a fridge with THREE other roommates for the past year (two I didn't know very well either)... it can work!

Energy! is online now Senior Member
    I've been trying various types of canned seafood lately, either in water or olive oil. Have liked all of these:
    Cockles (small, clamlike)
    Kippers (smoked herring)
    Smoked clams
    Anchovies (salty but good on eggs, salads, etc.)
    Sardines with skin and bones

Also, I keep coconut butter (100% ground up coconut) on the shelf, easier to eat that way. Dried wakame seaweed is good, you can rehydrate as much as you want at one time in about 5 minutes with plain water.

Re the dried fish from asian markets, how are you guys eating it...straight?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    most of them are too salty for me to eat straight away -- the sodium blows me up like a balloon. i soak them for about 15 minutes or so, than add to simmering til they are soft.

where are you guys finding coconut butter? i looked in trader joe's as well as a giant pan-asian supermarket with no luck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast