Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counting vs Eat What You Want page 2

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    calories definitely matter, but i don't think you need to build your life around them. try tracking your calories for a week or two to get familiar with calorie amounts, how much you're eating, etc. while eating until you're no longer hungry. try it for week the way you normally eat. then a week with slow, mindful eating. you'll probably find that you're eating below maintenance on most days anyway. if you're not, you'll have that tracking to see where you need to make an adjustment.

Chorlton is offline Member
    Interesting what you say about eating below maintenance levels Rob. In my first week or so of PB i found I was eating way below what I needed... Now Im tracking just to make sure that I get enough calories (and dont go over now my appetite has been adjusted)

thanks everyone,

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    This seems to depend a lot upon personality type, outlook on life and goals.

Generally, I would say just ballpark calories to give you an awareness, but don't stick to a rigid regime of a set number of calories per day, in order to avoid obsessive behaviour, plus a rigid regime is totally artificial and it is not in the spirit of primal to count exactly.

I believe it is valuable to ballpark to ensure that you are not eating a calorie deficit chronically. i.e. Ensure that you eat a clear surplus at least 1-2 days a week, to keep your metabolic rate up. I find it much easier to lose weight being in deficit 2-4 days a week than being in deficit chronically.

However, experience shows that as you get closer to your goal it is likely that you will have to get stricter about counting calories.
    I don't count calories or macros. I ball park/eye ball it. I come from a family of big eaters, so it's been a process of reducing, over time & organically, my portions & tendencies to go back for 2nd & 3rds, which I still do some. I'm not here to suffer, I'm here to thrive. So sometimes I still over-eat & sometimes I don't. Mostly lately I don't. Fasting for +- 48 hrs straight thru every week has helped, as it reduces my weekly calorie count & also hikes up my fat burning & autophagy rocks all around for many reasons. I AM consciously eating smaller portions, some of the time, which is progress from my normal piggish repasts...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    wether your consciously eating less or counting calories your still cutting calories. calories control, not carbs. you could get skinny on cake if you wanted to, it wouldn't be healthy but you could do it
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    For myself I need to count calories to make certain I am hitting my macronutrient splits without exceeding my calorie targets OR at least reaching them. I've more of a problem of not eating enough calories rather than too many,especially on hard workout days, and keeping an eye on them "via 'Lose It' on my phone) enables me to do that. Occasionally I input a day into My Fitness Pal to check my micronutrients, but I don't do that to often.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I am a calorie counter,but have been doing Whole 30 and not counting and it is working. However, most of the foods I overeat are eliminated Whole 30. I still watch portions. I don't worry about carbs and the fruits and veggies don't add up much.

I think calorie counting is great if you have no idea why you aren't losing. Or if you are curious about macros. The downside is that when I calorie count and eat with the 20% buffer, I end up alotting calories towards junk by eliminating good stuff. Like, "If I skip the banana and eat 6 oz of steak instead of 8, I can have icecream".

Chorlton is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I don't count calories or macros. I ball park/eye ball it. I come from a family of big eaters, so it's been a process of reducing, over time & organically, my portions & tendencies to go back for 2nd & 3rds, which I still do some. I'm not here to suffer, I'm here to thrive. So sometimes I still over-eat & sometimes I don't. Mostly lately I don't. Fasting for +- 48 hrs straight thru every week has helped, as it reduces my weekly calorie count & also hikes up my fat burning & autophagy rocks all around for many reasons. I AM consciously eating smaller portions, some of the time, which is progress from my normal piggish repasts...
    Re Fasting: A month or more before going Primal I did a 3 day fast, and then 24hrs each week with daily 8hr windows. My energy went through the roof, and I felt "alive" again. I've dropped it while I make the switch to fat burning but am curious to know your experience of breaking a fast Betorq? Everything I've read is for sugar burners and talks about breaking with papaya and other easily digested fruit to get the system up and running again...

How does this work for a fat burner?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I ate way too many calories yesterday. First I had a buttered coffee and I put double the butter in there because I was super hungry when I woke up. Then I packed some food and rode my bike to work where I bought a big salad. I normally get a Greek salad because there's not a lot of fattening stuff on top, and then I just add my own stuff, but all they had were cobb salads, which are loaded with goodies on top. So to a cobb salad, which has bacon, turkey ham, bleu cheese and sliced eggs I added about 2 cups of avocado, cut up beef, oil and vinegar and olive tapenade. This huge fat bomb was so delicious. I ate the whole thing and then I was stuffed. I didn't want dinner. I was still full this morning. I bet that salad had 2000 or 2500 calories. As long as those extra calories are really super satisfying ones from multiple types of fat, it seem to even out for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

obsessed is offline Member
    I use MFP. And you can adjust their formual for macros. Under food ->goals-> custom. You can change it if you want lower carbs...higher fat or whatever your liking. It help to see the value of food. Sometimes you dont really know the cost of food. Like nuts... I didnt know they had so many carbs.... but they do. and that affects my plan if I am trying to limit them. I have been using it for a while and some times I enter as I go and sometimes I enter at the end of the day... the end of the day is always so surprising to me.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Sounds like you are doing it right :-)
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast