Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating "Hereditary" page

lolanu is offline Junior Member

Beating "Hereditary"

Shop Now
    I think I should start a journal just to make sure I'm staying with this as well as I can. For those who didn't see my intro thread, my name is Riley and I am 18. I have three chinchillas and a Malamute named Knnick, know enough about carnivore nutrition to put you to sleep, and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the very likely possibility of a "hereditary" autoimmune forming a few months back. I am 5'1 and weigh 147 (dropped from 150 already!). Started Primal a few days after the challenge. I switched cold turkey from a vegetarian diet. Two weeks and I can already lift the 30 lb dog food bags at work over my head! I could hardly even pick them up before. I do still eat dairy, but am pondering going without my whole milk for a while and seeing what happens.

So, starting:

150 lbs, not sure what I should weigh
    Eating dairy
    Eating mostly local organic
    Exercising at least 2-3 mornings a week, hope to make it more as my health improves

I did some sprints, pushups and cleaned today. It embarrasses me how weak I am- doing proper pushups, I can barely manage five before my arms begin to shake and I can't complete them in good form. Onward and upward, eh? My father wanted to eat out, so we chose Mongolian Grill- not sure how Primal it was, but I avoided the noodles and only got the meats and colorful veggies, and tried to pick sauces that sounded better (even if they probably weren't). I also got super exited, as the chinchilla wheels I had ordered arrived. Now, if I can learn to exercise and play as happily as a chinchilla, I think I'll be in good shape!

So my family had a Wake yesterday, and I decided to try some pie, to see how it would make me feel after a few weeks of avoiding any sugar and grain. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant and I shudder when I hear "pie". I noticed that I definitely got the "swollen" look that some people have mentioned, and my dark circles are the worst that they've been since starting Primal.

I was getting belly pains still, so I've stopped drinking milk. About the only dairy I'm eating is butter. Turns out I was lactose intolerant as a wee one - wouldn't I still be?

I finally tried on some Vibrams as well! They're pretty cool, I may go buy a pair today so I can start sprints and walking. All of my shoes, except for some Keens and Birks, went to my mom. They were crappy CW thick-soled things like Danskos. Eek! Anyway, still floating around 147ish since something went around at work that grounded all of us. Worked out for the first time in almost a week today.

I'm at a loss. I love the Primal Blueprint and feel so much better, but the stresses in my life have literally not paused for a moment, but just keep rolling over. My chinchilla broke her leg last night and will need to have it amputated- I'm just not sure how to keep dealing with crap like this. I feel almost like a robot, responding to one horrible situation barely in time to brace for another. I don't know how you guys deal with horrible things in your lives, but any input would help. I just try to focus on the positives right now; at least I still have my chinchilla and odds are she will live through it, etc. Until I can move, there is really nothing I can do to separate myself from the majority of what causes me stress. I guess just keep going, head down.

Although really, I'm so scared I could puke right now. I'm way too attached to my animals.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    So sorry to hear about your chinchilla. Playing too hard in the new wheel? The thing about most animals is that they usually just keep on keepin on when crap happens to them so she very well may be fine. Still a bummer and probably expensive! The other hard thing is that we will most likely have to see all of our pets pass on and so learn that it is all a part of life. I have a malamute buddy also (well actually 2 and a husky/wolf). They are the best (when not getting into trouble that is)!

There are many things we can not control in life. Try to breath through the really stressfull times and tell yourself that it will be ok. Eating well will help you deal with problems much better because you are that much stronger. Junk food has never solved any of my problems.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your pet - I have a problem rat who I love to death, who has had two operations so far. Good news she is still living it up, and i'm sure your chinchilla will too.

You mention you're 18 in you OP, and even though I'm ancient now (26) I remember how tough things can be. I think everyone has the same problems, but at 18 you simply haven't learnt all the coping mechanisms that you get purely through life experience (I know it's corny!). It's also hard being dependent on your parents (I assume you are), when you want to do things your own way.

The poster above has a very valid point - junk food is NEVER an answer, but if you do fall off the wagon, remember that every day is a new day! Remember that everything passes in time, and even the hardest situations become easier and disappear.
    Devote time for yourself everyday - exercise, reading, walking, listening to music. Something to clear your mind. I love going for long walks with an audiobook on the go.

PM if you need someone to banter with!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Mud Flinger - Thank you. She actually tried to jump onto something way too high for her and almost made it, then fell about four feet. I've already lost one, but decided they are worth that loss. Just keeping going is what really just what seems to have to happen- can't sit and worry about it (although of course I do!) I ate some frozen yogurt (more like ice cream) the other day, and I didn't even enjoy it any more.

Goose- She sure is, crazy little thing. I feel VERY young sometimes! My dad and I kind of live like roommates, he has MS and has for almost ten years. I've helped him more than him me, I think sometimes. Really, if I need encouragement I just have to look at my silly chin that broke her leg. A year and a half old and she's had pyometra, bloat twice, and developed a cataract for no reason. She's the bravest little thing.

I haven't posted for a while because of the craziness of life at the moment, but good news abounds! Caboose is running around like her normal self only a week after her amputation, I've lost a total of 6 lbs in about a month, and have done a lot of research. A coworker commented on how much better my color is since starting Primal, which is kind of cool.

In bad news, I've been on the DEPO-Provera shot for almost two years now, and am sickened (but not surprised) upon digging deeper and looking at side effects... and how you're not supposed to take it if you're under your early twenties, or have had a history of breast cancer or diabetes in your family. Check, check, check. You're also not supposed to take it for longer than two years. Thanks, Planned Parenthood, for not informing me of any of this. The papers I signed looked like they were written in an alien language, and, since I was 16, why would I have asked about it? I'll be stopping that pronto, and hopefully I won't have the slew of horrifying withdrawals that can come with it. I am going to purchase some calcium and vit D supplements soon, to try and salvage my bones and immune system, if DEPO hasn't already given me bone loss.

It's really, really frustrating how we're used like lab rats.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolanu View Post

It's really, really frustrating how we're used like lab rats.
    I think more and more people are figuring this out on a daily basis. Good thing you figured it out as young as you are.

You have some great progress going on and seem to be taking the bad news in stride. Keep it up, you are doing well.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi lolanu!

If Goosejuggler's 26 is ancient, then what do you call me at 45...??

Anyway, sweetie, it will be okay. At 18 everything is so much more dramatic than when you have a few more years of experience under your belt. I'm glad your chinch is better! At this house all stops for a sick cat, so I understand. The Family Crabbcakes loves its felines...

re the Depo: you are 18 and bones are living tissue - get your bone broth in now, concurrently with the D3, continue with Primal and the digging into your personal food issues, like discovering that milk is a no-go for you, and you will only get healthier and stronger. Just let this life experience serve as a warning that whenever you mess with the human body in a pharma fashion, you need to do your own heavy research beforehand so you can make the most informed decision possible given current medical understanding (and don't discount your own intuition). Please don't lose sleep about possibly having mush for bones at your age - just feed them well, now that you know how, which is sound advice for ANYBODY at all.

I used to be a vegetarian as well (most of my twenties), and I do feel better/function better on the Primal too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast