Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beating "Hereditary" page 2

lolanu is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks Icarian and Crabbcakes Life IS drama, ahhh! I'm actually calming down about the DEPO a bit, I'm more angry than anything. I'm glad I caught it so young, or it really could have messed me up. My coworker was downright pissed when she was helping me research. Although, wouldn't it be funny-bad if what is causing my fibromyalgia is a bad reaction to that? I also got the Gardasil vaccine (ugh) at 15, and reading the side effects now- sounds like... fibromyalgia. Egad!

Although, I'm very excited, because my dad is finally on board with the lifestyle changes. I think he's realized he needs to do something, or his MS is going to kill him. He's averaged two bottles of Pepsi, lots of creamer in coffee, etc a day until now. My boyfriend is pondering it, and I think he definitely should; 230 lbs at 6'1 when none of it is muscle is not good.

Anyway, today so far:

Walked the crazy dog, which may as well be a weight-bearing exercise since she pulls like a bus
    Had some nitrite-free bacon, although I wasn't very impressed with this brand, going to try another.
    Dinner is going to be organic, local ground beef cooked in coconut oil and mixed with onions and garlic. Both my dad and I really like it, it has kind of become a cheapish staple when we're low on money

I always love my days off. Even at work, having dogs around means play, but days off means chinchilla playtime and lots of little animals running around (very carefully over-supervised now) and they're a blast to watch and interact with.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolanu View Post
    So my family had a Wake yesterday, and I decided to try some pie, to see how it would make me feel after a few weeks of avoiding any sugar and grain. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant and I shudder when I hear "pie". I noticed that I definitely got the "swollen" look that some people have mentioned, and my dark circles are the worst that they've been since starting Primal.

I was getting belly pains still, so I've stopped drinking milk. About the only dairy I'm eating is butter. Turns out I was lactose intolerant as a wee one - wouldn't I still be?

I finally tried on some Vibrams as well! They're pretty cool, I may go buy a pair today so I can start sprints and walking. All of my shoes, except for some Keens and Birks, went to my mom. They were crappy CW thick-soled things like Danskos. Eek! Anyway, still floating around 147ish since something went around at work that grounded all of us. Worked out for the first time in almost a week today.
    Ah, the funeral food. For the past month my MIL has been in and out of the hospital and in-home hospice. Spending hours a day at her home or sitting at her hospital bedside meant a lot of social eating. People bring comfort food in those circumstances and I needed comfort! It is amazing how we react to 'bad' foods that we used to eat regularly after not eating them at all for a bit! Is that how we always felt and didn't know it? Crazy.

I love my Vibram 5 Fingers. I also love Merrell Dash glove, pace glove and Bliss wool glove. As you see, I have gone a bit insane with my shopping. I still wear my Dansko clogs because they make me taller. I still love them dearly. If and when you do buy a pair of 5 fingers or other minimalist shoes, start by wearing them for brief amounts of time or you'll likely feel a lot of muscle soreness/pain.

Great job at making changes in your life.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hi lolanu!

If Goosejuggler's 26 is ancient, then what do you call me at 45...??

Anyway, sweetie, it will be okay. At 18 everything is so much more dramatic than when you have a few more years of experience under your belt. I'm glad your chinch is better! At this house all stops for a sick cat, so I understand. The Family Crabbcakes loves its felines...

re the Depo: you are 18 and bones are living tissue - get your bone broth in now, concurrently with the D3, continue with Primal and the digging into your personal food issues, like discovering that milk is a no-go for you, and you will only get healthier and stronger. Just let this life experience serve as a warning that whenever you mess with the human body in a pharma fashion, you need to do your own heavy research beforehand so you can make the most informed decision possible given current medical understanding (and don't discount your own intuition). Please don't lose sleep about possibly having mush for bones at your age - just feed them well, now that you know how, which is sound advice for ANYBODY at all.

I used to be a vegetarian as well (most of my twenties), and I do feel better/function better on the Primal too.
    I agree with Grandma.

You have so much time to undo what, if anything, has been done by the Depo and Guardasil (this one is an 'over my dead body' vaccine for my kids). There is a documentary coming out in the next year called "One More Girl" that plays off of the "One Less" campaign of Merck for the HPV vaccine. It is being made by brothers of a girl who was neurologically damaged by the vaccine. I am sorry you may have been affected, too.

As far as handling day to day stress? I don't always do it gracefully. I don't think I did it at all when I was 18. I still cry about my dog that died on my 21st birthday... 26 years ago! Love those animals.

I'm glad your dad is on board with changing your diet and your lifestyle. Support from loved ones is critical for many of us. Educate him as you educate yourself and maybe he'll make the switch right along with you!

Good luck to you. ~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

It's been a while since I've updated, but:

My dad is finally on board. He received the news that his MS is now progressive, and he'll have to do a new medication. I wish it hadn't taken such a serious event to push him into Primal, but hopefully it will help.

I've really noticed a difference in my arms lately. It's kind of funny that my arms are the most changed, but I actually have some muscle for the first time in my life. I can pick up 60 lbs, where 30 was a struggle before. There's not a weird fatty thing of skin on my underarms anymore. Pretty cool! I'm also down 10 lbs since starting. I've also semi-convinced my mother into a sortof Primal diet, but it was a pretty big step, as she was always a Weightwatchers person. Some of my coworkers are also looking into it. Yay!

So far, everything is going really well

We currently live 30 miles from the nearest hospital, but are planning on moving very soon so that we can be closer when dad starts his new medication. However, I've definitely noticed an improvement in him since starting Primal, even if I'm having a hell of a time getting him off walmart brand creamer. He had a candy bar the other day, and it made his MS flare so badly he could hardly get out of bed. I think that broke him of at least finger sugar for good.

My boyfriend told me I am definitely looking in better shape. Although apparently my butt has gotten smaller. Oh no! Not. I've noticed he doesn't complain about the "restraints" of my diet when he eats local sausage, bacon and eggs for breakfast.

My old dog is choking on her dry food, so she gets Honest Kitchen turned into soup and mostly meat canned. She got some raw deer heart in her soup today. Mmmmm. She sure likes being a Primal dog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12