Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet with medical conditions... What to eat? page

Blizzisme is offline Junior Member

Diet with medical conditions... What to eat?

Primal Fuel
    So my sister is not well, and with the conditions she has Starch and Fructose are poison to her.

Trying to figure out what to recommend for her to eat, especially fat sources.
    Coconut oil doesn't work(she was in considerable distress the last time we tried that). Right now my list is at butter... and that is it.

Thoughts on what she could eat?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about the rest of her diet but I would focus on real, natural unprocessed foods. Bone broth comes to mind as well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Ouch that doesn't sound like fun. I would stay away from most fruits but she might be able to handle some.

For Primal choices:
    SAFE:
    celery, escarole, mustard greens, pea pods (immature), pumpkin (might have too much starch), shallots, spinach, Swiss chard/ Cumquat, grapefruit, lemons, limes/ Meat (fresh, not commercially breaded), fish (fresh or tinned without sauce), other seafood/ eggs, nuts, seeds, flax seed, poppy, pistachios, sesame, tahini, sunflower/ Plain, unsweetened (full fat) milk, yogurt, cheese/ Basil, bay, cinnamon, cumin, curry, marjoram, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme....

Might be able to TRY IN MODERATION:
    Asparagus, beets, dandelion greens, cauliflower, endive, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, green onions, turnip greens, zucchini (might have too much starch)/ Avocado, blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries, cantaloupes, cranberries, grapes (white), jack-fruit, kiwi, mandarins, oranges, passion fruit, pineapple, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, tamarillo, tangelo;Apricots, nectarines, peaches.

AVOID:
    Artichoke, eggplant, green peppers, green cabbage, kale, leeks, lettuce (iceberg), pickles (e.g. sweet cucumbers), radishes, squash, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, all potatoes/ Apples, Banana's, Plantains, cherries, dates, figs, grapes (black), guava, honeydew melon, lychee, mango, nashi fruit, papaya, pears, persimmon, plumes, prunes, raisins, star fruit, sultana, quince, watermelon, Dried fruits, fruit compotes and jams in general, All sweeteners (artificial and natural)/ Meat, fish (if processed, sweetened, or commercially breaded); coconut milk/cream/ Sweetened and/or low fat milk products, ice cream/ Sauces: Barbeque’s, Sweet&Sour, Hot mustard, chutney, ketchup, relish, soy sauce, vinegar (apple cider, balsamic); Spices: chervil, dill weed, ginger, hot chili pepper, pumpkin pie seasoning. . .
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    see if you can find good sources for tallow or lard. buy/make ghee. incorporate fattier fish like salmon, herring and mackerel.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hichamaustin is offline Junior Member
    Many womens are crazy to make a slim body. They are doing some dangerous experiment to get a beautiful looks. Dieting and regular exercise are playing a major role to reduce our weight and get a good body fitness. But You need to consider some medical way before started a strong dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hichamaustin View Post
    Many womens are crazy to make a slim body. They are doing some dangerous experiment to get a beautiful looks. Dieting and regular exercise are playing a major role to reduce our weight and get a good body fitness. But You need to consider some medical way before started a strong dieting.
    I am not sure what the relevance of this is to the original post or the request made here... We are talking about someone with medical conditions and what they can eat which won't exacerbate those conditions...

I've been doing rendering recently... Have goose fat, chicken fat, and duck fat... All of those should work, I am thinking.

Regarding the safe list above, she has fructose intolerance, not fructose malabsorbtion, so some of those are not suitable. It gave me a good jumping off point, however. Thank you.

Edit: can anyone recommend a good way of cutting up the chicken skin before rendering? Tried partially freezing so I can cut it in strips, and even that gets painful if you try and do it in any quantity... Food processor doesn't work because the skin is too elastic and just catches the blade and then spins.
    Last edited by Blizzisme; 10-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.

sqidmark is offline Member
    Large kitchen sissors.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Large kitchen sissors.
    That is what I am using now... was hoping for something a bit more efficient... (Picked up 10lbs of chicken skin... don't need to make all 10lbs right now for the fat, but there is never enough of the fried chicken skin. )

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Try:

Butter, tallow, lard, good quality olive oil, ghee... Can you get access to poultry fat (especially duck or goose)? Not to mention, she should get even more of her fats straight from fatty meats such as ground beef, lamb, and pork, beef brisket, pork belly, bacon, pork shoulder roast, lamb chops, ect.

All good sources of fats. Hopefully there's something in there that she can stomach. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast