Thread: Losing weight AGAIN after a yr of Primal eating! page

Cool2homeschool is offline Junior Member

Losing weight AGAIN after a yr of Primal eating!

Shop Now
    I love how great I feel on the PBD. I tell anyone who will listen about it.....but only after they ASK, or if they complain about joint pains. I have a few friends who have tried it after they saw the results on me.

My question is: Is it "normal" to suddenly start losing weight again? I started the PBD October 1, 2011. I lost 20lbs in the first 2 months. Then it took another 2 mos to lose 5 more lbs. I was happy with how I looked and FELT (NO MORE CHRONIC HIP PAIN!!) .....someone told me recently that "all caps" sounds angry and rude. Sorry, I'm just a passionate girl who talks "loud" when she's excited.

I have maintained the weight lose (give or take 2 lbs) with a minor set back of 5 lbs in March, that came and went very quickly (the culprit: too many nuts and too much fruit!) As soon as I cut back on those the 5 lbs came off. In a week!

Now suddenly I have lost 8 more lbs in the past 4 weeks. I'm not doing anything differently.....I don't know.....maybe I'm eating a little less now that school has started back up and I'm a busy homeschooling momma. I hadn't noticed I was eating less.....and I'm definitely eating plenty of my daily dose of 72% chocolate.

I just want to make sure this is a normal Primal pattern, and not an indication of a tapeworm or something. LOL! It's nice weighing less than I did in high school and NOT have an eating disorder like I did back then.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's probably the increased activity with school starting and being more busy. It could also be that something has shifted inside you, perhaps you finally reached a state of health in some area that will allow the fat to come off. Maybe your sleep has improved. Maybe you're just more nourished and without realizing it you are moving around more.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I agree that it's probably increased activity and perhaps less eating that you're not even aware of because of being busy.

However, please keep tabs on this because unintentional weight loss is a marker for several serious illnesses (it's one of the reasons doctors track out weight). I'm sure this isn't the case, but it's always good to be sure.

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    If your exercise routine has been interrupted you could be losing muscle mass. This can happen fairly quickly.

I think our bodies go through phases of adjustment where nothing seems to happen for a long while then there's a quick loss or gain.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    you can always assume the worst, but it could also be that your body has hit a stage where repair is no longer its focus and getting the right weight is.

the body knows what it should weight.

we have no clue
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I've just suddenly lost 2kg (not sure what that is in pounds?) for no apparent reason, after being primal since March with no weight loss. I'm happy about it. Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with me.

Wish I could figure out why so that I can repeat as desired though!

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Woman View Post
    If your exercise routine has been interrupted you could be losing muscle mass. This can happen fairly quickly.

I think our bodies go through phases of adjustment where nothing seems to happen for a long while then there's a quick loss or gain.
    That's what I was thinking, that I was just going through a "rapid loss" phase (like I did the first two months I went primal) after a looooong "plateau" phase. I'm not losing muscle mass; it's all coming off my thighs (Hallalujia!) and my jeans are all super loose.

I started losing weight 4 wks ago, right after I had minor surgery to remove a benign tumor. I only realized I lost weight because they weighed me every time I went in that week.....the day of the surgery, two days later when the removed the drain tube, and a week after that when they removed the stitches. I mentioned to the nurse that I had lost 5 lbs in 8 days ('cause you know they never really look at your chart!) and she just shrugged her shoulders. I did have a slightly bad reaction to either the local anesthesia, the cortizone shot (to curtail keloid scarring) or the stitches, and I still am not completely healed.
    Maybe my body is focusing on the healing process???? Who knows! But several friends commented this week that I looked even smaller, so when I weighed myself I was truly surprised that I had dropped another 3 lbs....and then I started to wonder "is this normal?" Hence my post.
    I'll keep an eye on what I'm eating and the scale......if I lose much more I may get it checked out.
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's the chocolate? Seriously, though, the epicatechin in cocoa is thought to improve mitochondria

Cocoa Boosts Muscle Mitochondria - The People's Pharmacy®

Chocolate Can Make You Thinner : Discovery News
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Maybe it's the chocolate? Seriously, though, the epicatechin in cocoa is thought to improve mitochondria

Cocoa Boosts Muscle Mitochondria - The People's Pharmacy®

Chocolate Can Make You Thinner : Discovery News
    Where's the "like" button!